Softball “War Eagle Battle” Tournament Thread

UNC has Covid so Florida State was also looking for games. The Noles will be coming to the Plains to play AU and Kennesaw State on Saturday and Sunday (there are no games on Friday).

https://auburntigers.com/news/2021/3/18/softball-adjusts-war-eagle-battle-schedule-no-13-florida-state-added-to-tourney-field.aspx

This should be strong competition for us. FSU just took 2 of 3 from the #2 Arizona Wildcats. If we are planning on being relevant again in softball these are the types of matchups we should be seeking.

1 hour ago, 99TGR said:

This should be strong competition for us. FSU just took 2 of 3 from the #2 Arizona Wildcats. If we are planning on being relevant again in softball these are the types of matchups we should be seeking.

They also beat Florida this year. 

Glad to see FSU added. The team needs all the experience against top competition that they can get. IMO, while patience will be required, and there will be some growing pains, this team has the potential to be special (provided they get the proper coaching).

At the beginning of the week, I was hoping for 5-0 (before ASU was cancelled Wednesday). Now, I’m excited about this. The selection committee will respect AU and FSU for putting this together. 

Kennesaw State defeated AU last year 4 - 1.  We had 3 infield errors in that game. They have recorded losses this season against Georgia, Virginia Tech and Florida; all very good teams.  They have a record of 8 - 11 to date. I would like to believe we are a much better team this year.  

We need some payback for KSU.  As I posted on another thread, FSU split two games with Florida, split two with Missouri, and lost two of three to Va. Tech.  One of their pitchers is Caylan Arnold, who transferred there from UT.  They still have Sydney Sherrill, Elizabeth Mason, Dani Morgan, and Anna Shelnutt from their WCWS championship team.

50 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

Knock on Arnold is that she gives up HRs at a pretty high rate.  Maybe we can take advantage.

Problem is, we have the fewest HR in our conference with 12 HR in 20 games.  I was surprised Florida is next lowest with 14HR in 20 games and BAMA next with 14HR in 23 games.  Three teams have 37 and 38 HR in 23 games. Speaking of Florida, this has been typical of them over the last couple of years to finish high in the league.  They do not finish very high in BA but finish high in Pitching and Fielding.  They are also 23/23 on base steals.  Auburn is 36/43.  In an earlier post I stated that I felt AU was being more selective at the plate but I may need to reconsider.  When you look at %walks/#AB ....AU 8.5%, FLA 13.1% and BAMA 12.7%.  Right now BAMA's road to success is superior pitching, combined with better than average hitting and fielding (based on current stats).  Currently AU is in the upper half in pitching but lower half in fielding and hitting which is where we seem to require improvement if we want to move up in the conference rankings.  Some consolation in that we lost to the #1 team and the season is very young.  

Kennesaw shuts out AU 2-0 in our first game of the weekend. Dean sends too many runners that get caught stealing, and many bunt attempts/hit and runs to start off at bats get our hitters behind in the count. 

I’ve been a big Dean supporter and made excuses due to the talent he was left by Myers, but he has to figure out the offensive side of the ball. I’m not sure Lenti has been the answer.

Unless we start hitting the ball, it's going to be a disappointing season in SEC play. Don't know if the hitting talent is just not there, or if it just hasn't been developed. Still hoping the team improves as the season progresses.

This is ABSOLUTELY ridiculous. No excuse for those games other than a lack of coaching. We consistently get top 5 recruiting classes so no lack of talent. 

I'm getting pretty tired with us running into outs. Although I have seen a few plays scored due to being aggressive.  I was starting to think we are too predictable on stealing with first pitch.  Bama was ready and gunned us down multiple times.  Then I saw he waited a bit with Packer later in the series.  

Well that was an interesting 2 games...errors...couldn't hit and FSU absolutely rocked our pitchers we threw at them today. Kennesaw State seems to be the same scrappy team from last year.. 

For years I went to AU softball games when Tina Deese was the coach. It was a nice, relaxing way to spend an afternoon or evening. I had some young granddaughters at the time and with free admission, you could take a carload of girls, turn them loose there and not worry. Swimming coach David Marsh did the same with his daughters and we'd stand and talk old times in Miami while the girls played around the park, safe inside the chain-link fence. Every now and then Auburn would even win a game.

Then Clint Meyers came, brought the magic and everything changed. It appears that we may be heading back to the day when AU softball's biggest contribution will be relaxing entertainment. All we need to do is get back to free admission, the cost of concessions is enough.

It is disappointing to see how they are starting out the SEC season and beyond. 

I am hoping these young girls get better as they adjust to top notch competition, so I am cautiously optimistic.

Not sure why, as hitting seems to have been a problem ever since Dean has been here. But I wait....

Super young pitchers and quite a few freshmen in the lineup. The seem to have the HS resumes, so I hope we start to see them pick it up.....or we will have doubts about this coaching staff.

I like what the freshmen have brought.  They may just be struggling with experienced college pitchers.  I think part of struggle is focusing on the small ball too much.  Like don't ask Perry to bunt a runner over. 

11 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I think part of struggle is focusing on the small ball too much.  Like don't ask Perry to bunt a runner over. 

If you can't hit the ball put of the infield (other than a few can-of-corn pop-ups ) small ball is about all that is left. I think the only reason Perry is in the line-up at this point is because of her defensive skills. 

1 hour ago, AU1947 said:

As far as pitching, defense, and hitting.... the rest of the season will be filled with solid opponents... these young pitchers are going to struggle against the bigger teams and experience is no excuse as we are 20+ games into the season.. defense will need to be there for any of them... I know Yarborough was hurt early in the season but she was solid last season when dealing with UF, Minnesota,  etc. Are we not going to throw her at all? We threw everyone but her yesterday.... And what about McConditchie? She did well last year and hasn't been utilized either...  lastly we cannot win if we do not score.. JMO

Regarding Yarbrough, I know someone mentioned an ankle injury but I recall in the fall practice games (those fantastic broadcasts). when I saw her throwing and she had a lot of ball movement but many pitches well out of the strike zone.  Feel bad for her.

3 hours ago, AU1947 said:

As far as pitching, defense, and hitting.... the rest of the season will be filled with solid opponents... these young pitchers are going to struggle against the bigger teams and experience is no excuse as we are 20+ games into the season.. defense will need to be there for any of them... I know Yarborough was hurt early in the season but she was solid last season when dealing with UF, Minnesota,  etc. Are we not going to throw her at all? We threw everyone but her yesterday.... And what about McConditchie? She did well last year and hasn't been utilized either...  lastly we cannot win if we do not score.. JMO

I disagree somewhat with your statement regarding no excuse since we have played 20+ games os far.

I do think it makes a difference when you play in preseason and when you then start conference play. You go from playing teams with 1-2 great players or teams to playing weekend after weekend top quality softball pitchers, hitters and teams in the SEC. We have played only 1 of the best teams in the league which is a veteran team.

It's like in basketball. You can built a great record in preseason like 10-1, and then get into SEC play and all of a sudden you're 10-10 and wonder what happened. Much better players and coaches who know how to scout you, play against you. 

Softball can show the same results. So All i am saying is lets see how they play about halfway into the season and let's see if these young hitters and pitchers can settle down, and also get their confidence back mentally. 

I just want to see improvement over the next month. If not, then we can evaluate moreso the coaches and their ability to put a competitive SEC team on the field.

Just FTR, Horton replaced Perry at first yesterday vs. FSU.  And oddly, Kelsey Schmidt had the only two hits vs. the Seminoles - one a homer.

All I can say is "don't play poker with Shelby Lowe".  

From what I can tell, Kennesaw pitched Bennett in the 3-2 loss earlier today against Florida State and she threw 113 pitches in 7 innings of work.  She is clearly their top pitcher and shut us down in game 1.  

1 hour ago, slot canyon said:

All I can say is "don't play poker with Shelby Lowe".  

From what I can tell, Kennesaw pitched Bennett in the 3-2 loss earlier today against Florida State and she threw 113 pitches in 7 innings of work.  She is clearly their top pitcher and shut us down in game 1.  

Today, Kennesaw is throwing a junk balling lefty, and our timing has been off at the plate. Penta and Dismukes have struggled. Tigers currently trail 3-0 in the top of the 3rd. 

Archived