Chances of a classic Darkhorse year?

AUght2win

I am feeling like this squad reminds me of the 2017 squad where we have little real depth at RB.  We got to the SEC CG after a surprising season and just curb-stomping thuga and bama, but lack of depth cost us a shot in the playoffs.  RB depth is our Achilles heel.   Tank goes down and we are sunk I believe.

QB play - has to improve, but the potential and coaching are there; so this is a very real possibility (and there was no spring drills or practice in 2020)

OL- has to improve, but the experience is there and we have new coaching here (good coaching?  who knows -  );  can they play mean?  IDK  

I think the D may have to carry this squad, but could.  

I like this thread as I have said this very thing to my son - Auburn could  shock you this year.   At worst, we go 8-4.   Upside: 11-1

Edited by Beaker

• WarTiger changed the title to Chances of a classic Darkhorse year?

1 hour ago, Carnell said:

Sick of these so called one hit wonders that end getting fired as Bowden and Malzahn.  Would rather somebody come in an prepare us for the long term even if we have to take lumps in the first couple of years..

THIS. At this point I would've rather the Gus era been a gradual incline with the championship run coming five years in or so. Look at Mark Stoops at Kentucky--at least from 2013-18, each year they go a bit better.

Reading Auburn Wire's predictions, what do we think is a realistic timetable of expectations for the next five years? My thinking is six wins this year, eight wins next, nine to eleven for the years after that.

Edited by AUwent

1 hour ago, Carnell said:

Sick of these so called one hit wonders that end getting fired as Bowden and Malzahn.  Would rather somebody come in an prepare us for the long term even if we have to take lumps in the first couple of years..

It isn't either-or. It's not like if we are good this year it will hinder us in the long run. Those other coaches' failures were their inability to keep the momentum going and keep moving forward. 

• Like 2

Thought Tater Tot won his first 20 games? 😬

The AU fanbase does NOT have the patience for 6 wins this year, then 8 wins the next and maybe 10 wins in year 3!  Gus would have easily been 8-4 in 2020 if not for the 'rona.

If we make it through Penn State we should definitely be 5-0 heading into the Georgia game. Who knows what happens. Hopefully Tank doesn't get grinded into dust. Also with Bo and how non stop he is in training and asking questions and also with hopefully good QB developers this time you’d think it’ll click finally. O line as well with a new coach and this new training regimen to benefit them. Defense wins championships and I feel good from what I'm seeing about the secondary and LB's but d line is a big question mark. We can do big things, yet and still it is the first year with Harsin. Just no more embarrassingly stupid losses.

Edited by WFE12

I want Georgia to get punched in the face. 

1 hour ago, WFE12 said:

If we make it through Penn State we should definitely be 5-0 heading into the Georgia. 

As much as I'd love to agree, we cannot count LSU as an automatic win, seeing as we are going on year 22 of the Baton Rogue drought. 

• Angry 1

Gus lost a lot of bad games. But given the context, I still think blowing a 20-0 lead at LSU in 2017 is the worst. 

It still makes me sick thinking about it. If we win there, we might have been able to lose the SEC CG and still get into the playoff.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

As much as I'd love to agree, we cannot count LSU as an automatic win, seeing as we are going on year 22 of the Baton Rogue drought. 

I get that you feel that way and what a way for Harsin to reverse all this JABA stuff and we win and convincingly so. I’m throwing caution to the wind in my auburn fandom. I expect us to win and I’m saying it before I even see what the on field results are. LSU ain’t all that anymore plus the way things have shifted so much as for as culture goes I hope it does the same for fans. JABA has gone on long before Gus I know, but it has to change. I believe we end that drought this season.

• Like 1

I like the perception that we are going to play hard nosed football that we are used to at Auburn. Don’t think we have the Oline or Dline line yet, but who knows with the proper coaching. Making adjustments during the game will take awhile to get used to.

14 hours ago, Beaker said:

RB depth is our Achilles heel.   Tank and/or Worm goes down and we are sunk I believe.

I agree.  However, the big difference with this coaching staff is I truly believe they are already working on a plan B, and C, and D for this scenario.  The moment KJ went down, Gus was completely out of options!  This coaching staff will be prepared.  Tank is a special player, so it’s not like we won’t miss a beat, but we’ll at least have a solid plan moving forward.  (Maybe JJ or another HB type player getting some carries, maybe a WR getting carries), to help share the load so Worm (or DB, or the TF from MS, if we’re forced that far down the depth chart) doesn’t have to carry the ball 30+ times a game.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I agree.  However, the big difference with this coaching staff is I truly believe they are already working on a plan B, and C, and D for this scenario.  The moment KJ went down, Gus was completely out of options!  This coaching staff will be prepared.  Tank is a special player, so it’s not like we won’t miss a beat, but we’ll at least have a solid plan moving forward.  (Maybe JJ or another HB type player getting some carries, maybe a WR getting carries), to help share the load so Worm (or DB, or the TF from MS, if we’re forced that far down the depth chart) doesn’t have to carry the ball 30+ times a game.  

Exactly. Contingencies are something any competent staff will have in place. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, penguin149 said:

The AU fanbase does NOT have the patience for 6 wins this year, then 8 wins the next and maybe 10 wins in year 3!  Gus would have easily been 8-4 in 2020 if not for the 'rona.

Speak for yourself. I don't think there's any way we only win 6 this year, but if we're winning 10 games in year 3 and we look like a competent football team in the other 3 games, then we are in better shape than we've been in since the mid aughts and I will be damned happy about it. 

As for 2020 and "if not for the 'rona", I'm not sure what point you're trying to make but with 8 wins, Gus would've either ended up 8-5 or 9-4. Either way, I agree, because Gus wasn't due to win more than 9 games until this year. Except I don't think he was going to have his every-four-years miracle season (where he still drops one or tow he shouldn't and falls short in the last game) this time.  

• Like 1

I wouldn't use our past as an example for the future, but as many have said before me it hinges on Bo.  I genuinely think Bo will take a massive step this year not only due to new coaches but we have a Spring/Summer practice.  We have talent, and key returning players.  Not a person for predicting wins but I am excited for this season.

3 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I agree and this problem will exacerbated because Tank is very special.     No back goes through a grueling SEC schedule without getting nicked up or missing some time.  Even Bo had injuries as big and strong as he was.   I do have more confidence with this staff, but  I am a little jaded by not having depth.  

I still hold grudges or doubt.

A couple grudges

Gus for not having a plan (contingencies)  in 2017 when we are in a position to make a run vs thuga, bama, the SEC CG, playoff game #1 and NC game.  I am 100% convinced he wasn't thinking past the bama game and the possibility of coaching 3 more critical games.  I knew he was always content with a 'solid season'.  

Tuberville for not making his case to be in the NC game until a week before the last poll.  

1987 (?) when the ref blew the whistle too early and Fulwood breaks out of the pack to score what would have been the game winner vs. thuga.

1988 (?) Deion Sanders pass interference on (Tillman?) on what would have been a game winner catch.  

the LSU game when the back judge didn't step in when Pat Nix  clearly stopped playing because of the fan blowing a whistle, right behind the back judge in the endzone.

I could go on...these are all fresh in my mind.  

Edited by Beaker

1 minute ago, Beaker said:

Even Bo had injuries as big and strong as he was. 

Thank you. I don't understand how the logical swiss cheese of a notion that smaller backs are more susceptible to injury came to be, but it sure is popular. 

3 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Tuberville for not making his case to be in the NC game until a week before the last poll. 

Tubs was never going to get into that game under any circumstances other than USC or Oklahoma losing. It was literally his only chance. USC v OU was the game everyone wanted except Auburn fans. Besides, he made his case on the field all season long. He beat 5th-ranked LSU. He absolutely obliterated 10th-ranked UT in Knoxville. He did the same to 8th-ranked uga. Meanwhile, OU was barely escaping teams like KSU and OSU while giving up 35 pts to those teams in consecutive weeks. 

Trust me, I have less love for Tuberville than I do for this sinus infection I think I'm fighting off, but he did the job that season. Just typical Auburn luck that two name programs also happened to go undefeated that year. 

• Like 1

I think tank and shivers are a great 1-2 punch . I don’t know why people low key think we need more than that . Anything else, I consider kosher 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Tubs was never going to get into that game under any circumstances other than USC or Oklahoma losing. It was literally his only chance. USC v OU was the game everyone wanted except Auburn fans. Besides, he made his case on the field all season long. He beat 5th-ranked LSU. He absolutely obliterated 10th-ranked UT in Knoxville. He did the same to 8th-ranked uga. Meanwhile, OU was barely escaping teams like KSU and OSU while giving up 35 pts to those teams in consecutive weeks. 

Trust me, I have less love for Tuberville than I do for this sinus infection I think I'm fighting off, but he did the job that season. Just typical Auburn luck that two name programs also happened to go undefeated that year. 

Ok, I should not do this, but - I just wanted Tubs to fight for Auburn in the press outlets and make a case or argument.   I believe you are right because we started like 18th and OU and USC started in the top 3 or 4.   We had zero chance to overtake them, but make an argument - plead our case.  The blue bloods get such a break.  Auburn would have throttled OU and wholly believe we could have beaten USC with our talent and tenacity.

Blue blood rant:  You think if bama had our schedule every year, the SEC wouldn't be mixing up the schedules and rotations more?   Dang right they would!  Especially 10 yrs ago before them and the REC  became such a machine. 

Edited by Beaker
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think tank and shivers are a great 1-2 punch . I don’t know why people low key think we need more than that . Anything else, I consider kosher 

Some folks just refuse to believe that a guy can be a legit RB if he doesn't weigh 200 lbs. I do get and share the depth concern, though, from a full season standpoint. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beaker said:

Ok, I should not do this, but - I just wanted Tubs to fight for Auburn in the press outlets and make a case or argument.   I believe you are right because we started like 18th and OU and USC started in the top 3 or 4.   We had zero chance to overtake them, but make an argument - plead our case.  The blue bloods get such a break.  Auburn would have throttled OU and wholly believe we could have beaten USC with out talent and tenacity.

Blue blood rant:  You think if bama had our schedule every year, the SEC wouldn't be mixing up the schedules and rotations more?   Dang right they would!  Especially 10 yrs ago before them and the REC  became such a machine. 

Super duper agree on all. 

13 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Gus lost a lot of bad games. But given the context, I still think blowing a 20-0 lead at LSU in 2017 is the worst. 

It still makes me sick thinking about it. If we win there, we might have been able to lose the SEC CG and still get into the playoff.

As bad as this loss was, it was the catalyst for the rest of the season up until the SECCG.  If Gus would have limped through a win at LSU he very well could have lost to both UGA and Bama.  The way he lost that game was what put the pressure on him to perform or say goodbye.  I’m still not convinced 2017 was a good year the way the contract turned out, but I was happy to have a SEC West Championship and beating two #1 teams in a three week period.

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I genuinely think Bo will take a massive step this year not only due to new coaches but we have a Spring/Summer practice.

If Bo takes a massive step it will be because he will buy into the coaching staff and their concept of the offense.  It appeared Bo was rudderless the first two years as he didn’t seem to improve in the areas he needed to.  The Spring/Summer practice will only help if the coaching staff can hold the standard they want to see in Bo’s ability to run their offense.

14 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Now you’ve done it. @GwillMac6gonna be curled up in the fetal position after another reminder of our failures in Red Stick

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, fredst said:

Now you’ve done it. @GwillMac6gonna be curled up in the fetal position after another reminder of our failures in Red Stick

Harsin ending the drought will be a HUGE accomplishment. I believe he is the type to make it a motivating factor for his team. He'll have them ready to go that Saturday. I do like our chances but I have liked them a lot over the last 22 seasons.