Mason: "Auburn is the place for me. "

AUBwins

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/derek-mason-auburn-is-the-place-for-me-

Derek Mason was ready to go back to the NFL.

He had just served as Vanderbilt’s head coach for seven years before being fired in November. Prior to that, he worked at Stanford for four years as the defensive coordinator in his final year and the defensive backs coach before being promoted.

“Well you know looking at opportunities, I thought I was going back to the NFL, to be honest,” Mason said Monday. “I didn’t think I was going to take a college job. I felt like, for me, I needed a break from the college game for just a little bit after seven years at Vanderbilt. I had been contacted by several college teams about their opportunities.”

Defensive coordinator Derek Mason speaks with the defense during open practice at Jordan-Hare.

Defensive coordinator Derek Mason speaks with the defense during open practice at Jordan-Hare. (Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics)

But just as Mason was ready to move back to the next level, Bryan Harsin came calling.

The two had a prior relationship in the coaching world, and even the Harsin and Mason families going on vacation together. So, Mason stopped in Auburn and listened to what Harsin had to offer.

“So, when we had an opportunity to talk, the conversation was very much to the point about his vision for Auburn,” Mason said. “And that vision was set in stone, it was very strategic, it had all the making of what I thought a good leader should talk about coming into a situation like this. Which I thought was unique.

“For him to get me to come up here on my way home — because believe me, I was on my way back home — we got to come through here, sat down for a couple of hours. Had a chance to talk ball, but it was more about connecting on, like, the ideology of how he wanted to run the program and what he wanted and what he needed from me.”

While he did coach in the SEC previously, Mason hadn’t experienced much of Auburn as a city and a community. He quickly liked what he saw.

“I drove into the city — I didn’t know what to expect — they call it the Plains, I got here and I found a terrific city, really nice community and a university that has a lot to sell when you talk about the student-athlete experience,” Mason said. “So, from the city to the university experience to what coach Harsin is bringing, all that seemed to fit for me.”

And now that he’s officially here and leading the defense through spring practice, he’s happy to be here.

“I feel good about where we are right now. Believe me, I would’ve made this decision 10 out of 10 times. Auburn is the place for me,” Mason said.

And, the defense is glad to have Mason, too.

“Oh, man, Coach Mason, he's a great guy. We love the system that he's bringing in for us, and we love him as a person,” linebacker Owen Pappoe said. “He's accepted us all as his sons. It feels like we're a real big family out there.”

We all love lots of choices!

I don't know how long Mason will stick around here at AU. Everytime i read an interview of his i get the strong impression he wants to be a head coach again and soon. As long as he stays here for a couple of years i'll be happy...hate when you hire guys and they only stick around for one season. But i love that we have multiple former DCs on the staff with him. Sets it up nicely where the next guy can slide right in and the players don't have to relearn terminology and schemes. Probably my favorite thing about the staff that Harsin put together on both sides of the ball. 

And how cool is it that Harsin and Mason already had an existing relationship. They have never worked together and never even worked in the same conference together from what i know. Yet 2 football coaches that just love the game and form a relationship over that love. Maybe that will help keep Mason around a little bit longer if he enjoys working with his friend. 

6 hours ago, gravejd said:

I don't know how long Mason will stick around here at AU. Everytime i read an interview of his i get the strong impression he wants to be a head coach again and soon. As long as he stays here for a couple of years i'll be happy...hate when you hire guys and they only stick around for one season. But i love that we have multiple former DCs on the staff with him. Sets it up nicely where the next guy can slide right in and the players don't have to relearn terminology and schemes. Probably my favorite thing about the staff that Harsin put together on both sides of the ball. 

And how cool is it that Harsin and Mason already had an existing relationship. They have never worked together and never even worked in the same conference together from what i know. Yet 2 football coaches that just love the game and form a relationship over that love. Maybe that will help keep Mason around a little bit longer if he enjoys working with his friend. 

unfortunately I agree - DM is one and done.    Our biggest problem is the next DC won't have the instant credibility Mason has with in home visits.  The man was a HC in the SEC....if he could stay two years, that would be ideal. 

I am a little concerned that we promote from within and I don't think that is right call, but I am getting a little ahead of myself.   Maybe Greene shared a  jacuzzi or pool with M Stoops and he could be the next DC.  

I hope he stays at least two years. I think we’re going to love his energy. Maybe he can rehabilitate his coaching image here. 

Something tells me he will make a splash with recruiting too

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I expect him here at least 2

I really hope he’s here at least 2 or 3 years, waiting for the right opportunity to open up.   AU DC is a pretty sweet gig where he can be as patient as he wants, or can.  I know his stint at Vandy isn’t looked at very positively, but IMHO I thought he did pretty well.  That’s a really tough place to win.  (not sure Franklin did it fair and square😁).

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I expect him here at least 2

Didn’t I hear somewhere that was a big point of CBH and the main reason he was like “good luck with coach Rocker?

Never would wish anyone to not do what’s best for them and their family, however. If another HC gig is available , it is because he did a tremendous job with the defense  

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

Never would I have thought seeing Derek Mason at Auburn would be awesome but this definitely awesome. Idk about anyone else, but in an alternate reality he is the HC at Auburn and is successful imo

His energy is great. I know it's still early, but this program seems much more focused/locked on but also relaxed. I don't know how to explain it. They're going to have an AUttitude this fall LFG!!!

13 hours ago, RunInRed said:

This guy is so engaging in his interviews. Love hearing him talk. Love his passion for the game and his players. "If its moving hit it! Lets go!!!"

I have no complaints about Steele's defense....the results speak for themselves. But i can imagine the players and especially LBs are pumped to be moving around a bit and trying some new lineups and attacks. With Steele we did some blitzing and would sneak a Safety up occasionally but we were pretty well set in a 4-2-5 look the whole game. I'm ready to see some of those fronts where we have 6 guys standing up on the LOS and you have no idea who is coming and who is dropping. Lets make these OLs think a little bit

23 hours ago, gravejd said:

Agreed.  Mason is very charismatic.  I believe there will be programs before long making him offers.  I would like to think that Mason will stick around long enough for us to win a Natty and help his stock go up.

Didn’t watch his whole presser but I will agree with the general sentiments here: Mason is a polished, charismatic stud that we are incredibly fortunate to have landed as DC. Hope we can keep him at least two years, longer if we are lucky. At a great place like Auburn I just have to believe that this guy will be a magnet for elite talent. Man, I am excited about the future of AU football!!!! WWWWWOOOOOOO!!!! LET’S GGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

9B817DDE-D596-40E7-93D1-1702EA685C55.gif

Archived