Notebook:

toddc

I think anytime you come together and you’re trying to build something new, that’s the fun part, in my opinion,” Bobo said. “If you came in and you just threw something down, you don’t get to collaborate. Not just be with Coach Harsin, but the whole staff. We’re able to get a lot of ideas about what direction we want to go.

Say what?!?

Is this allowed?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Love 1

thanx for posting!

Auburn practice notes: Receiver limited; battle at punt returner

100 minutes ago

AUBURN, Ala. — An hour or so before the team's first scrimmage of the spring, local Auburn reporters were given a 40-minute viewing period at the start of the Tigers' sixth practice Thursday inside Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Here are some notes and observations from Auburn Undercover, including injuries, player absences, lineups and more.

Head coach Bryan Harsin will recap the scrimmage Thursday evening on a Zoom call with reporters.

OFFENSE

• Redshirt freshman receiver J.J. Evanswas a limited participant in practice. He ran through some drills and was working off to the side with other injured players for different ones. Evans looked to injure his leg during Saturday's open practice in Jordan-Hare Stadium, as he limped off the field and had a trainer put ice on it.
  • Grant Loy, Auburn's backup quarterback last season, looked to be a full participant Thursday after he was sidelined for a good chunk of Saturday's practice with what looked to be a lower-leg injury.
  • During the "install" period, running back Tank Bigsby started a number of formations split out wide at slot receiver before motioning into the backfield. As was the case in Saturday's practice, the Tigers went 12 personnel with two tight ends a handful of times, and took snaps under center in such formations, too. The two tight ends were Luke Dealand Tyler Fromm.
  • Tight end J.J. Pegues lined up at fullback a couple times.

10COMMENTS

DEFENSE

• Senior edge rusher T.D. Moultry was not present at practice.
  • Defensive backs Marco Domio and Zion Puckett continue to be limited in practice by injuries, participating in some portions but not others.
  • Senior Marquis Burks worked as a starter at defensive tackle and nose. Jeremiah Wright, a former offensive lineman who was with the 1s on Saturday, rotated with the second team.
  • Harvey, a safety prospect in the 2021 class, worked at nickel with the third-team defense.

SPECIAL TEAMS

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Harsin after his first Auburn scrimmage: 'We have a ways to go'

22 minutes ago

AUBURN, Alabama–It would have been out of the ordinary if Bryan Harsin said the Auburn football team’s execution was what he was looking for after the Tigers’ first scrimmage of spring training that came on the squad’s sixth day of practice. On Thursday night after the session was completed, there was no real surprise with the head coach’s take on his new team.

“We have got a ways to go,” Harsin said about the Tigers. “We have got things we know we need to work on and that’s okay.”

The coach added, “I thought the guys worked hard. We got some situation work, which was good. We got a chance to do some live work. We had an opportunity to go out there and tackle and break tackles, and work on some of those things we have spent time on in practice and ultimately just having a chance to compete, which was good to see.”

On Friday the coaching staff will meet with the players and go over the mistakes made in the scrimmage at Jordan-Hare Stadium and what needs to be done to make corrections. After that the Tigers will take the weekend off and all of next week off from team practices, although there will be strength and conditioning drills while the coaching staff reviews the first two weeks of practice and what the Tigers need to focus on moving forward.

The next practice is scheduled for Monday, April 5th and the annual A-Day Game is panned for April 17th.

“There were some good things out there and plenty of things we know we need to work on and get better at, certainly in all areas, and that includes special teams as well even though special teams wasn’t live today,” Harsin said.

“Really today was just about operation and execution–that’s it,” the head coach noted. “Can we operate from the sideline? Can we execute the play? That is really what today is about. It’s as simple as that.”

Harsin said for the most part the communication was good getting calls from the press box to the sideline and then on the field to the players, although he noted there is still work to do in that area.

“What do we do on first down offense, defense? How do we operate in third down situations? How do we operate in the red zone? Those were the things that we were focusing on today so there was really no set point of if we’re here (progress-wise) we feel good, if we’re not here we don’t feel good about it. It is simply about who can operate and execute and we saw guys who can do that today, and we saw guys who need work.

“That work comes from the preparation they have to be doing in order to operate and execute,” the former Boise State head coach said. “The one thing about scrimmages, or games or live work, is you get a chance to see how far guys have really come in their preparation. How that applies to practice. How practice applies to scrimmages or live situations and then when you go live, it really doesn’t lie.

*** Subscribe: Receive the latest Auburn intel and scoops***

2COMMENTS

“You get a chance to see who can tackle, who can break tackles and when we get in there and watch film we’ll get a better look at that, but ultimately, I thought as far as competing, we did do that,” the coach added. “Guys were competing. Guys did play hard. Guys showed effort. Now it’s about how do we clean some of the details up and then, where are we?”

Commenting on the scrimmage, Harsin said, "we had a couple of turnovers today. I think we fumbled the ball, I don't know if there was a pick in there. Might have been one pick. Wasn't Bo i(Nix) n there, but we had a couple of turnovers on the offensive side. Defense, that's good. We got those turnovers and some balls on the ground. Defense got on it. They're hustling to the ball. I thought that was good to see from the defensive side today. I think we had one in the red zone, and that's a big turnover that the defense is able to get.

"Bo was good," he said of the junior quarterback. "Bo operated the offense and did that well today. Plenty of things at that position with him and everybody else that we've got to continue to keep developing and focusing on. It just goes back to preparation. How much have you prepared? How much of that preparation can you go out and put in practice? Especially at the quarterback position, you apply it by putting yourself, really, in that mindset of the game at practice. Because you want to do that in order to get just that feel of when you get out there and play in live situations or in a game. I thought there were some good things from him today. Operation seemed to be clean. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/22/2021 at 7:02 PM, toddc said:

“I mean, like, there's no use in re-inventing the wheel as a coach,” Mason said. “If it's a slant technique, let's call it a slant technique. If it's easier for them to remember, that’s the part, as a coach, have to meet guys where they are so that we can get to a faster, greater understanding of how we want something played. That's been fun.

Just caught this from earlier in the week. I feel like every year we've heard- and this is equal opportunity criticism for both sides of the ball and going back more than one head coach- that we have these big plans going into the opener, and the 2-3 weeks, and possibly a loss, later we're having to simplify things. If Mason is doing that now? In spring? I mean, maybe it doesn't mean much, but it just caught my eye. And it definitely doesn't make me any less grateful for the CDM hire. 

I’m just happy we have articles to read about practice, and for a coach who is not paranoid about sharing a few details from a scrimmage. 💯War Eagle 🦅 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Just caught this from earlier in the week. I feel like every year we've heard- and this is equal opportunity criticism for both sides of the ball and going back more than one head coach- that we have these big plans going into the opener, and the 2-3 weeks, and possibly a loss, later we're having to simplify things. If Mason is doing that now? In spring? I mean, maybe it doesn't mean much, but it just caught my eye. And it definitely doesn't make me any less grateful for the CDM hire. 

Sounds more like he's adjusting his terminology to fit what the players already know, as opposed simplifying his scheme. 

Edited by Barnacle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Barnacle said:

Sounds more like he's adjusting his terminology to fit what the players already know, as opposed simplifying his scheme. 

Perhaps. Still applies, I think. The "meet them where they are" quote is the thrust of it, in my mind. 

Oh, I should warn everyone that I'm in full blown preseason optimism mode and my hope is springing sooooo eternal. Please feel free to slap me in the face with my posts from this general time frame come week 3 or 4. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Perhaps. Still applies, I think. The "meet them where they are" quote is the thrust of it, in my mind. 

Oh, I should warn everyone that I'm in full blown preseason optimism mode and my hope is springing sooooo eternal. Please feel free to slap me in the face with my posts from this general time frame come week 3 or 4. 

Maybe I didn't understand where you were headed in your first post. Are you lamenting that previous staffs didn't simplify enough, or soon enough, or that they simplified at all?

Just now, Barnacle said:

Maybe I didn't understand where you were headed in your first post. Are you lamenting that previous staffs didn't simplify enough, or soon enough, or that they simplified at all?

That, whether it was terminology or scheme, they were having to move backwards during the season as opposed to before it. 

Like I said, it might not mean much. Might not mean anything. But it feels like Mason is first assessing what he has and will then scheme accordingly. Have heard similar whisperings from Bobo and Harsin regarding the offense. If accurate, then that is absolutely a philosophical shift from Gus and maybe even from other past coaches, too. 

For the record, it's not just an Auburn thing, either. I have not documented them, but it's been numerous times over numerous seasons that I've heard a coach say he has to simplify things after they've already played a game or two or three. It would be nice for this Auburn team to build a fundamentally strong foundation first and then build upon it instead. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

That, whether it was terminology or scheme, they were having to move backwards during the season as opposed to before it. 

Like I said, it might not mean much. Might not mean anything. But it feels like Mason is first assessing what he has and will then scheme accordingly. Have heard similar whisperings from Bobo and Harsin regarding the offense. If accurate, then that is absolutely a philosophical shift from Gus and maybe even from other past coaches, too. 

For the record, it's not just an Auburn thing, either. I have not documented them, but it's been numerous times over numerous seasons that I've heard a coach say he has to simplify things after they've already played a game or two or three. It would be nice for this Auburn team to build a fundamentally strong foundation first and then build upon it instead. 

Yeah I hear you. Certainly a positive when a coach is willing to work with his players strengths as opposed to against them. Helps when you have offensive and defensive schemes that are multiple and adaptable. 

Here's to no more square pegs into round holes!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I’m sure they a ways to go. The attitude may have changed but they still need to learn the playbook and gel with the coaches on the field. A-Day will be very interesting. Can’t wait to see what they do. 

Seems to me it is back to the basics in a good way. I like the balance of positive reinforcement, critiquing appropriately and time off as necessary. It just seems way more organized 

Edited by DAG

Harsin holds Auburn quarterbacks to high standard in spring practice

5 hours ago

AUBURN, Ala. — The responsibilities of a quarterback playing for a Bryan Harsinteam are rather simple: everything.

Harsin and his staff have held the Tigers' signal-callers to a high standard through six spring practices. They don't have to be perfect, as new offensive coordinator Mike Bobo put it, but they're expected to be "one of the hardest workers on the team." For Auburn to reach its goals in 2021, third-year starter Bo Nix needs to elevate his game, sure, but he also needs to have reliable backups for injury circumstances and to breed good competition in the offseason.

With Nix leading the pack, Harsin has been impressed by what he's seen so far and how the group is learning from Bobo, who is also the team's quarterbacks coach. Nix has done well adjusting to the new offense and setting an example for the other QBs in the process with his work ethic.

"For the quarterback, it’s everything — A to Z," Harsin said Thursday following the team's first scrimmage. "That’s the point of focus for him (Nix). Nothing in particular, everything in general; that’s really what it is at the quarterback position."

The scrimmage marked Auburn's sixth practice of the spring semester, the team has engaged in some sort of activity — film study, meetings, etc. — every day since last Monday. 

And every morning in the football complex, Harsin wants his quarterbacks to be the first ones in the building, prepared to ask smart questions and absorb their lesson for the day.

"From the time you start a team meeting and how you go into your position meeting, and how you prepare and take notes and what you do, or when you leave that position meeting and get on the field, how you warm up, how you start practice, how you operate through practice, how you get through drills, team, seven-on-seven, finish practice — all those things," Harsin said. "That’s just the quarterback position, every single day."

Bobo has already formed a strong relationship with Nix, and said earlier this week the rising junior QB is "hungry" to improve this spring within the Tigers' new offense — so much so that Bobo has to make sure the other quarterbacks in the room don't fall behind.

"(Nix) is in his third year and is hungry and is asking questions just nonstop, like 'blah blah blah blah blah,'" Bobo joked.

Since the recruiting dead period has yet to be lifted and his new coaches have been doing all their work in that department virtually, Harsin, Bobo and Nix's other new offensive coaches have been in the building more often than they would have been during a normal winter and spring spent recruiting on the road. Nix saw that opportunity early in the winter and used it start soaking up information as soon as possible.

"Coach Harsin, obviously all his success at Boise and everything he was able to do with that program, and Coach Bobo with everything he’s able to do from an offensive standpoint, all the quarterbacks he’s been able to coach – just being able to learn from them, I’m going to really enjoy it moving forward," Nix said last week.

A former quarterback himself, Harsin has produced a number of highly successful passers in his coaching career, including Kellen Moore (second-most passing touchdowns in college football history), and Jared Zabransky and Taylor Tharp— both of whom turned in top-10 quarterback ratings nationally during their lone seasons at Boise State when Harsin was the offensive coordinator. As the Broncos' head coach, Harsin also mentored Brett Rypien, who finished his college career second in BSU history in passing yards and touchdowns, behind only Moore, and has played in the NFL for the past two seasons.

Bobo is one of the industry's most accomplished quarterback whisperers, too, with a laundry list of high-caliber passers attached to his name from his 14 years at Georgia. David Greene (second-most passing yards in program history), D.J. Shockley (2005 first team All-SEC quarterback), Matthew Stafford (first team All-American in 2008; No. 1 overall pick in 2009 NFL Draft) and Aaron Murray (most passing yards and passing touchdowns in program history) come to mind.

Harsin's consistent production in the passing game and history of strong quarterback play were even mentioned by Auburn athletic director Allen Greene as some of the primary draws about Harsin during the program's coaching search three months ago.

"He has extensive experience recruiting and developing quarterbacks, and producing high-powered offenses," Greene said.

Behind Nix, who has thrown for 4,957 yards (58.7% completion percentage), 28 touchdowns and 13 interceptions in two seasons, Auburn returns its backup quarterback from last season in Grant Loy. The former Bowling Green transfer dealt with a leg injury last week but was removed from the injury list this week, and was a full participant during a 40-minute practice viewing period for the media Thursday.

He's competing with true freshman Dematrius Davis, the highest-rated offensive prospect in Auburn's 2021 class, and redshirt freshman Chayil Garnett for the immediate backup spot after Nix. However, Harsin is mixing and matching quarterbacks with the first team randomly, making sure each QB brings a starter's mindset to practice every day.

Sign up for the Auburn Undercover Newsletter and get Auburn breaking news in your inbox

Bobo's quarterbacks room, like the rest of the positions and coaches on the roster, is spending Friday in the football complex breaking down film from Thursday's scrimmage. 

3COMMENTS

Save for conditioning to stay fresh and "extra film study," the Tigers have next week off. Harsin wants to give players a spring break-like week on campus, since the university opted to swap spring break for "wellness days" this year in order to lessen travel among the student body.

"Two weeks, spring break and then come back and have two weeks and finish up with A-Day," Harsin said of Auburn's spring-practice schedule. "So we wanted to build that in. It also gives our strength coaches a chance to see a few practices, to see these guys go out there and play the game and reevaluate — where are we at just from a strength standpoint? Where are we at from a conditioning standpoint? And really use that week to evaluate players. Get them in there, get a little work in and then use that to move forward in the second half of spring to better ourselves so we can finish strong."

If this needs to go to another thread of if somebody reported it I apologize. Seeing some things on other boards that Jeremiah Wright had a knee injury. May be serious.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

I just want to quote this post to say this. I’ve been feeling it for a bit, but idk, for the first time in years it feels like the players are having fun and really starting to buy into a culture. I’m excited to see what the future holds

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

If this needs to go to another thread of if somebody reported it I apologize. Seeing some things on other boards that Jeremiah Wright had a knee injury. May be serious.

3 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

I just want to quote this post to say this. I’ve been feeling it for a bit, but idk, for the first time in years it feels like the players are having fun and really starting to buy into a culture. I’m excited to see what the future holds

That’s like the third time he’s tweeted something like that

New Auburn football staff hoping for 'fun' A-Day atmosphere

ByMARK MURPHY 17 minutes ago 

AUBURN, Alabama–New Auburn head football coach Bryan Harsin’s chief of staff said the Tigers are hoping for a big turnout of fans for their A-Day game that is scheduled for April 17th.

“We really hope that we can have a larger capacity at Jordan-Hare Stadium than what were in the stadium games last fall,” Brad Larrondo said. “We are still working through some of those things.”

During the 2020 football season a limit of 17,490 fans was set for games at the stadium that seats 87,451 due to pandemic restrictions in place.

“We are hoping that we will get to a point where we can announce what that capacity is,” Larrondo said. “Hopefully, the idea will be that just about anybody who wants to come to the spring game, A-Day, will potentially have the opportunity to do that.

“We have to see how the trends work the next few weeks and work a few things out so there is nothing definite,” he said, adding that the hope is to create an atmosphere in and around the stadium with some “electricity and some fun to it.”

Larrondo noted the goal for the spring game is to have a “really awesome day” and said, “It is going to be an early afternoon kickoff so you will be able to get over here in the morning and be able to enjoy an afternoon of football and still be able to go out for a nice dinner here in Auburn. If you have to head to wherever you are from you will still have time to get on the road and get back.” The kickoff time for A-Day has not been set, but it is expected to around 1 p.m. CDT.

Auburn football’s chief of staff said the coaches thought last Saturday’s open practice that attracted several thousand fans was a positive. “There was a vibe and energy, and the kids were fired up,” Larrondo said about having fans at the practice. At that session he was on the stadium public address system letting fans know the practice plan for that Saturday session.

“It was awesome to see fans out there,” Larrondo said. “I think everybody is craving for that kind of socialization and to get back at least on a path to some normalcy because it has been some pretty tough stuff the last year.”

10318840.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Marquis Burks (92) and the rest of the Tigers are shown in their final practice before their break. (Photo: Mark Murphy, Inside the Auburn Tigers, 247Sports)

Larrondo said the goal for AU’s new coaching staff this spring is to find a way to improve every day and at the same time build a connection with fans. “Part of that is to let people get a chance to be a part of this program and enjoy that, and feel like they are able to see the process that we are putting together as it leads to putting this team on the field coming up on 9/4/21 when we open the season.”

Harsin’s first game as head coach of the Tigers will be against Akron with the contest scheduled at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

“If we could have 20,000 or 40,000 or whatever we could possibly have at the spring game, that is going to add another element and I know it is going to get the players juiced and ready to go,” Larrondo said. “We are going to have some fun out there. We are going to see how the first 14 practices of spring ball went and we are going to let these guys cut it loose a bit.”

*** Subscribe: Receive the latest Auburn intel and scoops***

1COMMENTS

The format of the A-Day contest is still to be determined whether it will be a traditional game with the squad divided into two teams with regular scoring or whether it is set up as an offense vs. defense scrimmage with a different scoring format. A decision on that is not expected to be made until closer to A-Day and it will be based on what the coaching staff determines makes the most sense after evaluating the personnel available to compete in the spring game.

However the session is run, the plan is to have four quarters with a halftime whether it is a traditional format or an offense vs. defense format, something that has been done before at Auburn A-Day games and elsewhere, including Boise State. “There are a certain amount of points the defense could get based on third down stops, three-and-outs, things like that,” Larrondo said of how an offense vs. defense format would be scored. “We found that in some ways it actually brings out some more competitive juices when you got it going offense vs. defense and challenge those guys.”