Notebook:

toddc

So we're 1 week from practice starting?  I'll be glad to get some real football news and less of the offseason silliness that overtakes this board in the summer.  

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

So we're 1 week from practice starting?  I'll be glad to get some real football news and less of the offseason silliness that overtakes this board in the summer.  

Looking forward to weights of players.

6 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Looking forward to weights of players.

The important things 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

The important things 

We've got one confirmed fatty that lots of folks have high hopes for.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Hopefully we can add a couple more on the Oline once reports start coming out

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

I'll be glad to get some real football news and less of the offseason silliness that overtakes this board in the summer.  

The in-season silliness is less entertaining and often more angry but at least we have football actually going on

• Like 2

Work, hard work, should pay off in some 4th quarters this season!

Edited by toddc

1 hour ago, fredst said:

The in-season silliness is less entertaining and often more angry but at least we have football actually going on

Well with Gus gone hopefully the anger level stays low as the team adapts to Harsin’s coaching philosophy.  

• Like 3

Man I love our coach!  Can't wait to see the toughness we show against Akron. 

• Like 4

Marquis Burks senior spotlight: 'Grind it out every day'

Marquis Burks

Story Links

AUBURN, Ala. – Chicago native Marquis Burks came to Auburn with big goals in mind. Burks' ultimate goal is to play in the NFL, but not without bringing an SEC championship and bowl game trophy home to the Plains first. 

For Burks, it is all about the grind. He admitted that when the time comes to leave Auburn he is going to miss "just going out there and grinding with my brothers and playing football."

A transfer from Iowa Central Community College, where he was part of ICCAC and Kinney Cup championships and earned an associate's degree in liberal arts, Burks immediately connected with the Auburn family, and even more specifically the family within the team.

"Auburn family means having each other's back no matter what, no matter where you're at," said Burks, expressing appreciation for Auburn's elevation of hard work in all areas.

With the uncertainty of the coronavirus pandemic, opportunities to play are no longer guaranteed. Thus, Burks is grateful for the chance new head coach Bryan Harsin has given him.

"They've really put me in good positions to win," the defensive lineman said.

Transferring into a new program in a different region of the country, adapting to Covid protocols and restrictions, and a coaching change – Burks has handled many changes during the past 18 months. Through it all, Burks has not let his mindset falter. In fact, he believes the Covid-19 situation was beneficial for him as it gave him more time to better his game.

"Be coachable and grind it out every day," he said.

There is a different mental strength needed to play at this level, especially during what is being termed the 'Covid year,' not only the physical aspect of the SEC but also balancing academic demands. Burks preaches mental toughness and waking up each day with the positive mindset to do it all again.

The defensive tackle attributes his success in football as well as in life to his father Cinque, his biggest fan.

"He threw a lot of common sense in there, but he also threw a lot of street smarts in there, too," Burks said. "He taught me how to be a man."

Football has taught Burks, an interdisciplinary studies major, many life lessons. A central lesson, one which will transcend into the workplace and life after college, is always doing your best.

"It's really a make-or-break business," he said. "It [football] really gets you ready for the real world because, if you are not doing your job, somebody is going to take your job."

Burks played in five games for the Tigers last season, recording four total tackles and one sack against LSU.

In football, as in life, there is always someone lined up behind you ready to take your spot.

Even in the face of challenge, Burks remains poised and ready to compete at a high level. He remains focused by remembering his 'why' -- his younger siblings, two brothers (Cinque Jr. and Jeremiah) and two sisters (Janiya and Kaziah).

Even though he may not frequently see his Chicago family, he checks on them regularly and remains grounded and focused on excelling in the classroom and on the field knowing he is working for something bigger than himself.

Before every game, before the team goes to the field, Burks said he sends his siblings a text saying he loves them "because I really play the game for them, so they can have a better way of living and not have to grow up with the struggles I had to grow up with."

Family is very important to Burks and he considers himself to have added a larger one at Auburn. Instead of traveling home to see his family during a holiday break, Burks often goes home with teammates, saying, "It's like having a whole other family every other break."

Burks' goal for this upcoming year is to have a good season. "I bought in to the weight program," he said. "Guys are stronger than we've ever been. We're moving more weight than we've ever done, and we're bigger now."

Under Coach Harsin and the new staff, coordination and communication will be vital to achieve the goals Burks and his teammates have set.

"You have to have everyone on the same page with the same motivation, all in, going into work every day," he said.

Marquis Burks works against Nick Brahms in practice

Jen Dietrich is a student worker in Auburn Athletics media relations. 

I really think this dude can have an impact this season and I think he’s going to ball out big time.

15 hours ago, toddc said:

"I bought in to the weight program," he said. "Guys are stronger than we've ever been. We're moving more weight than we've ever done, and we're bigger now."

I really hope this is true.

• Like 3

• Like 1

They are doing silly poses,  but they have that "spark"  their eyes.   You can tell they are sincerely happy  and having fun...even in the "serious" poses.  They look like the are glad they chose Auburn and to play for Harsin.   They look confident and excited  to play.    

Is it just me or does Brahms look like Franco Harris?

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner
  • Dislike 1

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Harsin and Tigers looking for newcomer help at running back 

ByJASON CALDWELL 20 minutes ago

Share0 Comments

Storylines for the Auburn Tigers in Bryan Harsin's first preseason camp

AUBURN, Alabama—Heading into the opening of fall camp on Friday, Coach Bryan Harsin and the Auburn Tigers are in good shape at the running back position when you talk about a two-deep of Tank Bigsby and Shaun Shivers but after the top two there are question marks surrounding newcomers Jarquez Hunterand Jordon Ingram. 

Everything starts with the duo of Bigsby and Shivers and that’s a comforting feeling for Harsin, Auburn offensive coordinator Mike Bobo and position coach Cadillac Williams. Last season they combined for just over 1,000 yards rushing with Bigsby entering his sophomore year as one of the top running backs in the country. 

Coming off a strong spring, both running backs continued that into a tough summer of workouts under the new staff and enter camp primed to be two of the leaders on offense for the Tigers.

“Tank and Shaun, both of those guys excelled this summer,” Harsin said. “I thought both of those guys, as leaders on the team, really stepped up. This is important to them. It’s good to see two good players really working with each other as well. They both know they’re going to play. They both know they’re going to have impacts on this team.”

A player that has set himself up for potential playing time as a true freshman is Hunter. Explosive and powerful, the Mississippi native has been impressive in the weight room and Harsin said that work ethic is something they believe will carry over to the field this fall. That will be important with Auburn needing either Hunter or Ingram or both to be ready when called upon.

“Jarquez, Jordon Ingram, those guys,” Harsin said of the guys they need to step up. “Jarquez has had a really good summer. He’s obviously inexperienced when it comes to being out there at practice. We know he’s a young guy. He’s very strong, tough and works extremely hard. He’s got all the qualities you want in a player, certainly at that position.

“You’ve got to get somebody, Jordon or Jarquez or some of the other guys in that running back room, they’re going to need to step up. You know, especially at that position, you’ve got to have depth. Even if it’s a specialty role and it’s one or two plays, that still makes a huge difference in the offense.”

To be able to step on the field and play as a true freshman (Hunter) or as a redshirt freshman transfer (Ingram) takes more than just physical skill. That’s the first step in the process but Harsin said now the real test begins on how much of the offense they can pick up and how quickly that happens.

“We’ll see what they’re capable of retaining and learning through camp,” Harsin said. “But from what I have seen physically those guys had a really good summer. They’re capable of doing it, now we have to go out there and apply it on the field.”

On 7/29/2021 at 11:38 AM, W.E.D said:

I apologize for showing my ignorance bit who might that be?

6 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

I apologize for showing my ignorance bit who might that be?

NT from UAB Fair

Leard’s Logic: Preseason camp a key time for Nix, Auburn QBs

ByBEN LEARD 2 hours ago

Two players who could surprise in Auburn's preseason practices

malcolm-johnson-jr.jpg

Editor's Note: Welcome to out first installment of Leard's Logic with former Auburn quarterback Ben Leard as he writes about the current Tigers, the Southeastern Conference and more. Leard will be with us throughout the 2021 season to talk football and give us his insights on the Auburn team as he looks back and looks ahead at the season for Bryan Harsin's first team on the Plains. We hope you enjoy Leard's Logic!!

In 1999 I went into fall camp in a very similar situation as Bo Nix enters this year with a new head coach, new offensive coordinator and new quarterback coach. For me it was Tommy Tuberville coming in with Noel Mazzone as the offensive coordinator.

What you’ve done as far as establishing a relationship with the coordinator and the staff, having the ability to go through a spring practice and the summer workouts and meet with them and the installs and all of that, really to learn a little about their nuances and how they’re going to react when you get into the heat of the battle of camp and into games, a lot of that is over with by the time you report for camp and they can just play ball.

There is a lot to be said for how are they going to react in a one-vs-one scrimmage or on a third and eight when the pressure’s on?’ That is when you try to simulate some type of game situation. Bo is a kid that has come in and people have had very high expectations of him. There have been areas where Bo has excelled. There have been areas where Bo has left you wanting a little more. I think the positives far outweigh the negatives when it comes to Bo. Knowing what I know and how long I known guys like Mike Bobo and Will Friend, that’s really where I’m most excited to see how far this offense goes and how far it excels in 2021 because I know how good these guys can coach. 

I also know that the cupboard is not bare. They have players, athletes, kids that want to be here and love Auburn and want to compete. On the offensive side of the ball they have got guys that can take what’s on the white board and take what’s in the install booklet and apply that to a young man on how to execute it in the heat of battle. To me that’s going to take Bo into leaps and bounds of improvement in his first couple of years.

Something else that could have an impact on Bo is giving him the chance to have more control of the game at the line of scrimmage. For a quarterback that has the mentality and is savvy enough to do it, it’s so calming because you essentially know and have the confidence that you’re never really going to be in a really bad situation, that you always have the ability to find some positive outcome.

The positivity is relative, just don’t make it a bad play. Getting back to the line of scrimmage is living to play the next play. As much as I hate to do it and think back on something from Jimbo Fisher, the number one thing I ever remember him telling me in 1997 was that as a quarterback your number one priority is to end every offensive possession with a kick. If you do that, whether it be an extra point, a field goal or a punt, you will win more than you lose. Having the authority as a quarterback to step to the line of scrimmage and make a change and take us from what is deemed be a disastrous play and at a minimum make it a neutral play, that’s huge.

There is pressure that comes with that because you have got to know your offense. You have got to know your personnel. You have got to know what to expect from the defense. There’s a lot of things that come with that, but that’s the art of playing the position. 

You talk about the guys who Bobo has coached, that’s what made David Greene so good, that’s what made Aaron Murray so good, that’s what made (D.J.) Shockley so good, that’s what made (Matthew) Stafford so good. The list goes on and on with guys he’s coached and tutored. They are athletic guys, but they’re not Cam Newton. In that offense you have one more arrow in your quiver in the sense of what’s between my ears. Not only can I throw and run, but if I put us in a favorable position it only enhances the value of whatever play I’m calling.

Something else that will help Bo and the entire offense is competition. Depending on the kid and how they deal with stressors and how they motivate themselves or whatever the scenario is, if you’re an SEC football player you’ve got to be comfortable with competition. Iron sharpens iron. That’s just how that works.

31COMMENTS

When you talk about competition and we hate to reference it, but the school on the other side of the state, they play and practice against more talent from Monday to Friday than they usually face on Saturdays. When it comes to practice it’s harder for them than the game on Saturday. That’s what Coach Harsin is wanting to get to. That’s the mentality he’s trying to develop each and every day, that the guy across from you that happened to walk out of the same locker room and the guy pushing you for reps, that’s what makes you better. It’s not just that once a week game.

It’s got to be that way at every position; receivers, quarterback, offensive line, linebackers, corner, safety. It can’t be just offensive line. I think in this instance, by Auburn signing T.J. Finley out of LSU out of the transfer portal, that does three things. It’s going to make Auburn better. It’s going to make Bo better and it’s going to make Finley better. Ultimately it makes Auburn’s football team better than it was before they got there. That’s the name of the game.

• Thanks 1

V8’s man crush can feel free to use this one. It’s awesome 😎 

Edited by toddc
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Look closely 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

• Like 1
  • Love 1