Notebook:

toddc

Auburn junior DB 'coming out of his shell' heading into 2021 season

ByJASON CALDWELL 6 hours ago

Owen Pappoe Speaks About Auburn's Football Performance Center

owen-pappoe-closeupmm.jpg

AUBURN, Alabama—A player who got a late scholarship offer from Auburn after impressing at a summer camp on the Plains, junior Nehemiah Pritchett came in as a skinny cornerback prospect, but one who could really run. Rarely saying a word, the prospect from Jackson High in south Alabama was one of the quietest players in his class when he arrived on campus. 

While he os not a player who stands out often in a vocal leadership role, his coaches and teammates have seen him take a huge jump since the player they saw in the fall of 2019 and they predict big things are ahead for him.

“Just seeing him come out of his shell has been really good,” junior linebacker Owen Pappoe said. “He plays corner. He’s also been able to get some work in at nickel, too. Really, a versatile player. He is one of the fastest dudes on the team, too. Very athletic. He is even back there doing some stuff on kick returns, returning kicks. Just seeing him grow, coming out of his shell is exciting to see and I can tell he is going to have a huge impact for us this year.”

Playing very little as a true freshman, Pritchett’s role expanded in a big way last season when he played in all 11 games, finishing with 25 total tackles, one interception and 11 passes defended. 

With a full year of experience under his belt and a better understanding of his role and help on defense, Pritchett said he is excited to see what improvements he can make in 2021. "I would probably say just being the best corner I can be, mastering my technique, knowing where my help is, letting my safety help me, just depending on those types of guys,” Pritchett said of his areas of focus.

Missing last season after opting out because of the pandemic, senior linebacker Chandler Wooten didn’t get to see the day-to-day development out of Pritchett in 2020. Getting back on the field with him in the spring and now seeing him as the Tigers prepare to face Akron in the season opener on September 4th at Jordan-Hare Stadium, Wooten said Pritchett is a different player and person and it shows in his game.

"Yeah, you can just tell he has a different level of focus from when I left to when I came back,” Wooten said. “A lot more locked in, a lot more reassured of himself, a lot of confidence. He is a real quiet guy. He doesn't really say much, but when he goes out there he plays it loud, you know what I mean? 

2COMMENTS

“What I mean by that is, he plays with extreme confidence," the linebacker added. "Obviously, he is a very fast guy, great technique. He can do it all. He is able to play inside, outside. He's able to do a lot of different things, so just a great player, man. I'm excited to see what he does this season."

• Like 1

Quotes of note from 20 Auburn players this preseason

ByNATHAN KING 16 minutes ago

What I Can't Wait For This College Football Season (Late Kick Cut)

latekick-cantwaitforthiscfbseasonthumbnail.jpg

After Saturday's open practice in Jordan-Hare Stadium, Auburn will officially enter its first game week of the Bryan Harsinera. The head coach will return to the facility Monday after isolating at home due to a positive COVID-19 result last Thursday.

In all, 20 different players have spoken to reporters this spring about the new schemes on offense and defense, incoming transfers, the quarterback battle, offensive-line shuffling and more.

In position order, here's one standout quote from each Auburn player the media has had the chance to chat with this preseason.

QB BO NIX

On quarterback competition: "Having a room full of talented guys, it's always important because you're just trying to make yourself better, and you're trying to improve each and every day. And no matter what day it is, all of us are trying our hardest to have the best day and to try to go out there and get as many reps as we can and to grow within those reps as we become better. I feel like as a group, we've all done a good job of challenging each other. Like you said, competition brings out the best. In me specifically, I feel like I've always been at my best when I'm competing."

RB TANK BIGSBY

On preseason recognition: "To be honest with you, I really don’t pay attention to it and all that social media stuff and all that talk and stuff like that. I never really paid attention to it growing up, even when it was all that ranking stuff and all that stuff — uncalled for if you ask me. It’s good to be on lists and stuff and it’s a blessing, but I feel like you hype yourself up when you get on the field. And if you love doing it, you’re gonna do what you’re gonna do."

RB SHAUN SHIVERS

On his bond with Bigsby: "Our relationship, it's just grown real close. This is how Ronnie (Brown) and Coach (Cadillac Williams) was — they told us how they did things. We kind of went through the same. Even the other guys, make them come along as well. I could say that me and Tank, we're not really focusing on trying to beat out Coach 'Lac and Ronnie. We're just trying to move through this fall camp and then when the season hits, just rock."

WR SHEDRICK JACKSON

On pressure from coaching staff to execute in receivers room: "I think we’ve taken that challenge. People have made plays, but it’s not only on the field; it’s off the field too in the film room. We get together, we watch film because we understand we have to learn defenses and see the same thing that Bo (Nix) is seeing. That helps out the whole offense and makes it run more smoothly.”

TE JOHN SAMUEL SHENKER

On the new offense: "Change is always good, if you take it that way. I think the new coaching staff has brought a new energy to the team than we've had in the past. But at the end of the day, football is football. You've got to complete your Xs and Os. That's what it comes down to. The tight ends have grown really close with Coach Bedell. We love what he's doing with us and the offense. We're really excited for the future."

TE LUKE DEAL

On the various skill sets Auburn has at tight end: "Like Coach Bedell has said before, he doesn’t like designating certain roles for certain people. There are definitely different attributes that each one of these guys, including myself, brings to the table. It’s real interesting to see all of the different personnel that we can come out and be able to try to dominate the defense with. I love it. I think we’ve got so much unique talent across the board, unique skill set. I’m really enjoying what this room is doing.”

OG BRANDON COUNCIL

On return from injury: "I plan to dominate and finish the season healthy. That would be the biggest thing for me is finishing the season healthy, but also don’t have that injury in the back of my mind when I’m playing this year and don’t worry about my knee. Just focus on the game.”

OT BRODARIOUS HAMM

On cross-training positions on the offensive line: "Just learning what the guy next to me has to do helps me understand my game better. In the long run, I might have to play guard, tackle. Just knowing both roles will help me and the team a lot."

C NICK BRAHMS

On offensive line criticisms: "We know what we’ve done and how much work we’ve put in in the springtime and summertime. I think a lot of people don’t realize that. We work hard all year long for these kinds of opportunities to play football in the fall. We try to block out the noise. We don’t really listen to people because at the end of the day we’re the ones on the field and we’re the ones blocking people. We’ll just do that to the best of our ability and get the job done anyway we can. That’s our mindset. We’re going to be tough guys and lead this football team.”

DL COLBY WOODEN

On UAB defensive tackle transfer Tony Fair: "I love playing alongside a guy like him because he's guaranteed to take up two (blockers). He moves better than what he looks like, which was a surprise to me. He doesn't ask for much. He's going to give you his all."

DT J.J. PEGUES

On progression at defensive tackle: "Once I got to Auburn, I knew that I could do both (tight end and defensive tackle) and really just prepared myself for both knowing if I got overweight or not a tight end standard or whatever. I'm loving the D-line right now. I feel like I have a future in it. I've got a great coach, Coach Eason, who is just buying into me. One day, hopefully, I can make it to the next level."

EDGE DERICK HALL

On new edge rusher position: "I love it. I love the scheme, I love the new position. I think it's been very beneficial for me and some of the other edge guys that haven't had a chance to put as much other stuff on film yet, people haven't seen yet. So just being able to do that and have the opportunities is tremendous."

LB OWEN PAPPOE

On Auburn's touted linebacker trio of him, Zakoby McClain and Chandler Wooten: “I’m going to take us over anybody. I think we have the best linebacker room in the country.”

LB ZAKOBY MCCLAIN

On personal goals for the season: "How many tackles did I have last year? I'm making more than that. I didn't even start the first two games, so I'm going to dominate. My goal is to make more plays, get my team hyped up to make more plays, win my awards and just be a better leader and win more games and get better every day, 100%."

LB CHANDLER WOOTEN

On his 9-month-old son, Chance: "He'll be at all the home games. He comes to practice all the time. Just want to be around as much as I can, just so he can experience this last ride with me. He might not remember it but I'll remember for sure. ... He's watching, and he knows exactly who's out there. He knows 31, that's dad."

CB ROGER MCCREARY

On Auburn's 0ff-man defense: "With the off-man, it's all about with the eyes and feet and all of that stuff and recognizing, like, what's going on with the offense like FBI — football IQ and all of that stuff. So, it gives us more time to think playing off when you see everything from the offense."

CB NEHEMIAH PRITCHETT

On the 2021 secondary: "It's so much talent on the back end. Coach Mason has been doing the best job he can at putting the best people in the best spots."

S ZION PUCKETT

On sophomore nickel Ladarius Tennison:"I feel like his game improved a lot from last year to this year because he's been more in the playbook. Just getting an understanding of the scheme, because in high school he played manly linebacker. So being able to play a lot of nickel is helping him learn more."

S SMOKE MONDAY

On how he's grown as a person at Auburn: "Man, I changed a lot. There are a lot of things that I did as a freshman that I can't do now because I know there are a lot of eyes on me now. A lot of guys are watching me. I've just got to make sure that I'm doing everything right, as much as I can. Everybody's not perfect, but I'm trying to be perfect."

K ANDERS CARLSON

On what he's worked on this preseason:"Yeah, I’ve been improving every day. That’s my goal to get 1% better each and every day and sometimes it’s hard to measure when you’re just stacking days on days. But so far I’ve had a great camp."

• Thanks 1

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Maybe wrong thread to ask but quick roster question. Wasn’t that DB Traivon Leonard supposed to rejoin the team? Thought I remembered reading that in this thread or another one on this board. Haven’t seen him on the roster or any depth charts, articles, etc 

15 hours ago, au302 said:

Maybe wrong thread to ask but quick roster question. Wasn’t that DB Traivon Leonard supposed to rejoin the team? Thought I remembered reading that in this thread or another one on this board. Haven’t seen him on the roster or any depth charts, articles, etc 

Not on the roster but the last thing I heard was back in March saying he rejoined team after opting out of 2020.  That’s all I’ve got right now.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, toddc said:

Am I missing something? Feel like these aren't really big changes and can't tell if they are or I don't get jt....

Some people never learn DD.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I can't wait.

I think this kid, DD, is going to be electric when he gets a chance.

• Like 2

I like this for the first two games(to get a better view of how the defense plays in the new scheme in real time) but I might rather have CDM on the sidelines after that. Others who have coaching experience might be better equipped to critique this than me.

4 minutes ago, toddc said:

I like this for the first two games(to get a better view of how the defense plays in the new scheme in real time) but I might rather have CDM on the sidelines after that. Others who have coaching experience might be better equipped to critique this than me.

It might be different on defense but I know Joe Brady stayed in the box when he was at LSU 

9 minutes ago, toddc said:

That seems really out of the ordinary for a DC. And especially since Mason has been on the sideline as a head coach for the last 8 or so years. I tend to like my coordinators being on the field so that can look their players in the eyes. But each coaching staff is different in how they do things so i'll have no complaints as long as it works. I know in the past we have had OC who did either/or and changed it up through the season depending on team needs. 

I don’t mind the OC in the box but I’d rather have the DC on the field. The OC can maybe get a perspective on who’s lining up where on the opponents defense and more quickly adjust play calling. The defense pretty much calls their setup for down and distance rather than adjusting on the fly. IMHO 

First-year backs, including 'great surprise,' could play in opener

ByMARK MURPHY 75 minutes ago

AUBURN, Alabama–It is a given that last year’s SEC Freshman of the Year, Tank Bigsby, and senior Shaun Shivers will be a major part of the opening night game plan for the Auburn Tigers. On Wednesday Auburn head coach Bryan Harsin said a trio of newcomers at the running back position could see game action on Saturday night vs. Akron and noted that the walk-on in the group has been a “great surprise.”

The trio includes freshman Jarquez Hunter, a 5-10, 202-pounder. who put up big rushing and scoring numbers the past three seasons at Neshoba Central High in Philadelphia, Miss.

The Tigers also brought in Jordon Ingram, a 6-1, 199 redshirt freshman from Mobile, who transferred to Auburn this summer from Central Michigan.

Also in the newcomer group is 5-9, 236-pound Sean Jackson, a walk-on from Hewitt-Trussville High who earned Class 7A All-State honors as a senior after finishing with 1,425 all-purpose yards and 14 touchdowns.

Sean Jackson has been a great surprise,” Harsin said on the SEC weekly coaches' teleconference on Wednesday. “You say that because you don’t know what some of these young guys coming in what they are going to do. He has been very good in scrimmages, one of our most productive guys.

10519920.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Sean Jackson is hoping to make his mark as a walk-on for the Tigers. (Photo: Jason Caldwell/Inside The Auburn Tigers, 247Sports)

“He runs very hard, very physical, very consistent,” the coach pointed out. “You know what you are going to get from him and he shows up every single day and brings it. I have been very happy with him and pleased with the effort of what he has been able to do.”

Asked if Auburn fans could see any of the newcomer running backs in action on Saturday vs. the Zips, Harsin said, “There is definitely a possibility.

“I think Jarquez has had a really good camp,” the coach said. “He is young, he is learning, but he is physical. He has improved on just his overall understanding of the offense.”

Hunter won a Mississippi Mr. Football Award as a senior after rushing for 1,687 yards and 22 touchdowns while finishing the year with 2,069 all-purpose yards.”

Ingram played his high school football at St. Paul’s where he was a second team Class 6A All-State pick after rushing for 1,394 yards and 18 touchdowns as a senior in 2019.

“I think Jordon, he transferred in here, and had a little bit of experience when he got here,” Harsin said. “It is the same as Jarquez, just learning and developing. I think he has done a good job on special teams and getting himself in the mix and being a guy we feel can contribute in a role there.”

None of the new running backs are on the initial depth chart for the Tigers.

10COMMENTS

“All three of those guys are going to be good players,” Harsin declared. “They are all just young and they are learning so it is not for a lack of ability or want-to, it’s just experience and letting these guys go through a normal game week and prepare themselves and get into just a game and see how the whole thing operates. Once they do that they are going to get better and better, and it just going to be a matter of time before those guys are on the field contributing.”

I hope a couple of these guys get some carries late in the opener and just kills it, especially the walk-on kid.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, toddc said:

I don’t mind the OC in the box but I’d rather have the DC on the field. The OC can maybe get a perspective on who’s lining up where on the opponents defense and more quickly adjust play calling. The defense pretty much calls their setup for down and distance rather than adjusting on the fly. IMHO 

The first two games are good tests to see which works better. I’m glad Harsin if letting it be the coordinators decision 

• Like 1