Notebook:

toddc

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

It's what made the last little while even more frustrating. The basic, most common concept/adjustment/utilization were just non-existent.

Yes, stuff you don’t even need to watch sports to understand. From a guy that has coached for years. Mind blowingly dumb.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

It's what made the last little while even more frustrating. The basic, most common concept/adjustment/utilization were just non-existent.

Plain ol boilerplate football. Of course, offensive genius doesn't stand on simple boilerplate. Can't outwit your opponent with the basic stuff. Gotta dazzle them by going with 5 qbs the night before the big game.

Brad Bedell: 'The more the better' for Auburn's tight ends

83 minutes ago

AUBURN, Ala. — The Tigers have six scholarship tight ends on their spring roster. Brad Bedell would be the last person to say that's too many.

Bedell sees Auburn's deep tight ends room, which he now leads after being brought over from Boise State, as only an advantage for the offense in 2021. The more he learns about the individual skill sets for each player in spring practice, the more excited he becomes about how much the unit can contribute this fall, and in how many different ways.

Under new offensive coordinator Mike Bobo's director, Auburn is asking its tight ends to expand their range and play some H-back and fullback, as well as their standard tight-end spot, either attached to the offensive line or split out wide as an extra receiver.

Regardless of where they're lined up each play, however, Bedell doesn't want the defense to know what's coming. He said too often, especially with tight ends, personnel choices can show an offense's hand based on what that tight end is capable of doing.

But if Bedell's tight ends can do it all, the Tigers won't have that problem.

"You really look at the room, and it’s different body types and things like that, but it’s conceptual learning, so you know — I don’t want to get pigeonholed into this certain player does this... then all of a sudden you look at it and we give some things away," Bedell explained Monday during a meeting with reporters. "I don’t want to do that. So, it’s conceptual learning, especially as a new staff coming in."

Bedell hasn't put too much stock in what each of his tight ends have done in the past or how they've been utilized by Auburn's previous offensive staff. Those roles will sort themselves out, but for now, he's having them all prepare the same — whether that be as an H-back, fullback or pass-catcher.

A 6-foot-7 target like Brandon Frazier is probably best suited as a threat in the passing game, while Luke Deal has shown himself to be a consistent run-game-paver in the backfield. But Bedell wants to all that for himself as to not put players into a box or trap them in a niche.

"Working with the kids and seeing different routes and things have them all do it," Bedell said. "Now we get a clean, crisp idea of what every player can do, and then we can start building it from there."

A former All-Pac-10 offensive guard at Colorado and sixth-round NFL draft pick in 2000, Bedell has extensive experience as an offensive line coach at the college level, with such gigs at Northern Colorado, UC Davis, New Mexico State, Arkansas State, Texas State, Baylor and Boise State for the past four years under Bryan Harsin. His new role at Auburn is the first time in his career he's stepping away from his most familiar position group in a full-time capacity.

And that's why the move excites him.

“It’s been awesome, to be honest with you," Bedell said of moving over from O-line to tight ends. "I’m excited because it’s gotten me out of my comfort zone, and when Coach Harsin approached me about this opportunity — really, No. 1, I wanted to be a part of his staff. I’ve been with Coach Harsin for years now, and I believe in the culture and I believe in really what he stands for in building a football program. That’s the No. 1 reason. No. 2 is getting into the passing game and getting into some of the things I haven’t been hands on, per se, and just the learning aspect of everything, it’s been awesome, and I couldn’t ask for a better opportunity to come to Auburn and be in this position.”

His offensive line background obviously gives Bedell plenty of blocking knowledge. As for the other responsibilities of a tight end, H-back or fullback, Bedell is using his resources and challenging himself.

"The route concepts (are) what I really had to study in that regard," Bedell said. "Coach Harsin started his first coaching job full time as a tight ends coach, so I have a great resource with him. Then I’ve called some people that I have good relationships with as tight ends coaches and really bounced things off of them, and this is what I see and what I see on film, this is the way you taught it. 

"Just developing in that position in the role that I am, it’s been great.”

Sign up for the Auburn Undercover Newsletter and get Auburn breaking news in your inbox

Last year, Auburn's tight ends caught 20 passes, more than the group had in the previous four seasons combined. Senior John Samuel Shenker is the veteran of the room, with do-it-all, 300-pound sophomore J.J. Pegues the second-most utilized player returning. Deal had an extensive role in 2020 as a blocker, while redshirt sophomore Tyler Fromm has been "superb" for Bedell in spring ball thus far.

1COMMENTS

Early enrollee freshman Landen King is the newcomer of the group and has been "advanced" for his age in learning the offense, Bedell said. And Frazier, who dealt with injuries for most of his true freshman season but caught two passes late in the year, figures to have a high ceiling as a mismatch opportunity. 

"If you really look at Coach Bobo and his offenses and Coach Harsin and what we did at Boise State and things like that, tight ends have a big role in this offense," Bedell said. "You know, that's something that's going to be developed and you're seeing it more and more and more in practice. You know, the more the better, in my opinion. But it's going to be a very important role as we go through and really rebuild the future of this program."

My goodness we haven't had truly productive tight ends since some of the posters here were in diapers.  Can't wait!!

14 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

My goodness we haven't had truly productive tight ends since some of the posters here were in diapers.

Not me

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Not me

Thought for sure you would say “golf is still/back  in diapers “. 

Edited by toddc

2 minutes ago, toddc said:

Thought for sure you would say “golf is still/back  in diapers “. 

Depends..........................................................................................get it............................

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, toddc said:

Brad Bedell: 'The more the better' for Auburn's tight ends

83 minutes ago

AUBURN, Ala. — The Tigers have six scholarship tight ends on their spring roster. Brad Bedell would be the last person to say that's too many.

Bedell sees Auburn's deep tight ends room, which he now leads after being brought over from Boise State, as only an advantage for the offense in 2021. The more he learns about the individual skill sets for each player in spring practice, the more excited he becomes about how much the unit can contribute this fall, and in how many different ways.

Under new offensive coordinator Mike Bobo's director, Auburn is asking its tight ends to expand their range and play some H-back and fullback, as well as their standard tight-end spot, either attached to the offensive line or split out wide as an extra receiver.

Regardless of where they're lined up each play, however, Bedell doesn't want the defense to know what's coming. He said too often, especially with tight ends, personnel choices can show an offense's hand based on what that tight end is capable of doing.

But if Bedell's tight ends can do it all, the Tigers won't have that problem.

"You really look at the room, and it’s different body types and things like that, but it’s conceptual learning, so you know — I don’t want to get pigeonholed into this certain player does this... then all of a sudden you look at it and we give some things away," Bedell explained Monday during a meeting with reporters. "I don’t want to do that. So, it’s conceptual learning, especially as a new staff coming in."

Bedell hasn't put too much stock in what each of his tight ends have done in the past or how they've been utilized by Auburn's previous offensive staff. Those roles will sort themselves out, but for now, he's having them all prepare the same — whether that be as an H-back, fullback or pass-catcher.

A 6-foot-7 target like Brandon Frazier is probably best suited as a threat in the passing game, while Luke Deal has shown himself to be a consistent run-game-paver in the backfield. But Bedell wants to all that for himself as to not put players into a box or trap them in a niche.

"Working with the kids and seeing different routes and things have them all do it," Bedell said. "Now we get a clean, crisp idea of what every player can do, and then we can start building it from there."

A former All-Pac-10 offensive guard at Colorado and sixth-round NFL draft pick in 2000, Bedell has extensive experience as an offensive line coach at the college level, with such gigs at Northern Colorado, UC Davis, New Mexico State, Arkansas State, Texas State, Baylor and Boise State for the past four years under Bryan Harsin. His new role at Auburn is the first time in his career he's stepping away from his most familiar position group in a full-time capacity.

And that's why the move excites him.

“It’s been awesome, to be honest with you," Bedell said of moving over from O-line to tight ends. "I’m excited because it’s gotten me out of my comfort zone, and when Coach Harsin approached me about this opportunity — really, No. 1, I wanted to be a part of his staff. I’ve been with Coach Harsin for years now, and I believe in the culture and I believe in really what he stands for in building a football program. That’s the No. 1 reason. No. 2 is getting into the passing game and getting into some of the things I haven’t been hands on, per se, and just the learning aspect of everything, it’s been awesome, and I couldn’t ask for a better opportunity to come to Auburn and be in this position.”

His offensive line background obviously gives Bedell plenty of blocking knowledge. As for the other responsibilities of a tight end, H-back or fullback, Bedell is using his resources and challenging himself.

"The route concepts (are) what I really had to study in that regard," Bedell said. "Coach Harsin started his first coaching job full time as a tight ends coach, so I have a great resource with him. Then I’ve called some people that I have good relationships with as tight ends coaches and really bounced things off of them, and this is what I see and what I see on film, this is the way you taught it. 

"Just developing in that position in the role that I am, it’s been great.”

Sign up for the Auburn Undercover Newsletter and get Auburn breaking news in your inbox

Last year, Auburn's tight ends caught 20 passes, more than the group had in the previous four seasons combined. Senior John Samuel Shenker is the veteran of the room, with do-it-all, 300-pound sophomore J.J. Pegues the second-most utilized player returning. Deal had an extensive role in 2020 as a blocker, while redshirt sophomore Tyler Fromm has been "superb" for Bedell in spring ball thus far.

1COMMENTS

Early enrollee freshman Landen King is the newcomer of the group and has been "advanced" for his age in learning the offense, Bedell said. And Frazier, who dealt with injuries for most of his true freshman season but caught two passes late in the year, figures to have a high ceiling as a mismatch opportunity. 

"If you really look at Coach Bobo and his offenses and Coach Harsin and what we did at Boise State and things like that, tight ends have a big role in this offense," Bedell said. "You know, that's something that's going to be developed and you're seeing it more and more and more in practice. You know, the more the better, in my opinion. But it's going to be a very important role as we go through and really rebuild the future of this program."

This guy understands when he doesn’t know something , he needs to find the answer. That in itself will lead to better outcomes 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Was BoBo the oc when Ben Watson and Leonard Floyd played for uga?

QB coach. He wasn't promoted to OC until a few years later. As OC, he did get 20+ catch seasons out of guys like Tripp somebody and Orson Charles. He did that twice with Charles, who had 45 catches his last season. Those guys were also sharing catches with Mohammed Mossaquoi (sp), AJ Green, Knowshon Moreno, Malcolm Mitchell, Chris Conley, Tavarres King...

In 2013, he had six guys with 20 or more catches. 

Looking at his time as OC at uga, he threw the ball to his playmakers, whoever they were.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Zac Etheridge on being back at Auburn: 'This place is special'

35 minutes ago

AUBURN, Alabama—When Bryan Harsinhired Zac Etheridge to come back to a place he calls home to coach for the Auburn Tigers it brought in a young guy that has unbridled energy about his alma mater. Coming in from Boise State, Harsin knew he needed to have some guys with connections to Auburn and the Southeastern Conference on his initial staff. Following his hiring and the introduction of Etheridge to the current team, Etheridge showed his new boss exactly why he was the right guy at the right time for the Tigers.

I don’t know every single word he said,” Harsin said of when Etheridge talked to the team. “I just know those three or four minutes that he spoke, the hair on the back of my neck stood up and certainly he brought it for every guy in that room and everybody was on the edge of their seat and everybody standing up was leaning forward. And it was very clear, when he left, what it means to be an Auburn Tiger and how much passion he has for this program.”

That passion is important at this time with the NCAA dead period shutting down in-person recruiting for the last 12 months. With the expectation that it will be lifted following May to allow kids to be on the Auburn campus from that point forward, Etheridge said it’s a big time for him and this staff to be able to showcase what the program and university is all about.

“Well that’s the one thing that we talk about as a staff,” the former Auburn safety said. “I mean, the biggest thing is hoping we do have the opportunity to get this thing open so we can get people on campus. Everything about the Plains is just very special. I mean, when you get here you actually have to feel it. So when guys get on campus they can feel that family atmosphere. 

“The things we’re talking to them on Zoom about, it’s hard to express that through Zoom until you actually get here in Auburn and you feel the people. And not only just the people around the building but the community. That’s the most important thing, is when these families come down here they can truly feel what we’re selling on Zoom. So it’s been very special to tell them about it but they have to get down here to experience it to make sure they can see exactly what we’ve been telling them.”

10334264.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Zac Etheridge is excited to be back at Auburn. (Photo: Jason Caldwell/Inside The Auburn Tigers, 247Sports) 5COMMENTS

What exactly Etheridge tells kids is something he believes, because he’s lived it. Recruited to Auburn out of Charles Henderson in Troy, he became a key part of a national championship in 2010 and is back as an assistant for the Tigers. Continuing to grow and mature as a coach, he said it all comes back to his time on the Plains.

“It’s very special,” Etheridge said of being able to recruit as a coach at Auburn. “To me, it’s not really selling. I’ve been able to experience it. I’ve lived it. I’ve walked through these halls and been in their shoes before. So me sharing that experience is honestly personal. And just being able to show those guys and tell those guys, man, this is a place that you want to be. 
“This place is special. It’s been special to me since the day I walked in here as a 17-year-old, 18-year-old kid. And it’s still special. That’s one of the reasons I’m here today, is because of how special this place is.”

He's Mr. Consistency': Auburn defense leans on Derick Hall

• by Nathan King
  • 80 minutes ago
10337904.jpg

AUBURN, Ala. — At an open practice a couple Saturdays ago inside Jordan-Hare Stadium, Bert Watts spent much of the warmup period with Derick Hall. 

A junior pass-rusher and an important piece for the front lines of Auburn’s defense in 2021, Hall followed Watts around the field for a good five minutes, soaking in whatever his new position coach had to say. That’s been Hall throughout spring practice, according to Watts — eager to learn and quick to absorb, cementing himself as one of the leader’s for Auburn’s new-look defense.

“That’s what Derick is: He’s Mr. Consistency,” Watts said. “Every single day, he’s staying on the right level. He’s calm, cool, collected. He takes the coaching well. So that’s a great example in your room when you’re sitting there working with guys and trying to get them better. There’s critique involved, so you have to be humble and be able to take it.”

After an offseason of significant growth in the weight room — up 13 pounds from last season, now at 6-foot-3 and 251 pounds — Hall looks to be the leader of Watts’ outside linebackers room as the team’s top edge rusher.

Watts, who was hired to coach the position by Bryan Harsin, as well as lead Auburn’s special teams after three seasons as Fresno State's defensive coordinator and one year as Memphis' linebackers coach, has split his room into outside ‘backers, called STUDs, and pure pass-rushers, now known as the “EDGE” position — though he hasn’t necessarily made big distinctions between the two yet. Watts is having all his players learn both equally; he likened the situation to a bigger defensive back learning both the strong and free safety positions.

And while he’s worked to get his group all on the same page in spring ball, Watts has leaned on Hall’s experience and maturity at the edge spot. And he’s yet to be disappointed.

“He brings the consistency that you need with leadership,” Watts said of Hall on Wednesday. “And any great leader is going to be consistent. They’re going to do the right things every single day, not just on the field but off the field. They’re going to have a steady mindset, be steady emotionally and not be up and down depending on how the day went or the day before went.”

A four-star defender out of Mississippi in Auburn’s 2018 class, Hall is the team’s top returning player in terms of sack production from last season with four, all of which came in the second half of the year after Hall had an admittedly frustrating start to his sophomore campaign. 

Down the stretch, however, Hall emerged as one of the Tigers’ most consistent weapons along the front seven — and as a team leader.

In a few short weeks on the practice field with Hall, Watts has seen the potential — both physically and in Hall’s study habits — for him to develop into an even stronger asset for the Tigers, specifically in getting after the opposing quarterback.

“I think he’s got a great chance to be a great player in this defense,” Watts said. “Every day I see him, there’s something that’s getting better. Some little technique here or there – maybe effort to the ball here or pass-rush technique here or drop here – that you see improve, and that’s what’s exciting. Every day, he’s going to try to get better at something.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Quotes of Note: Auburn defensive position coaches

6 minutes ago

AUBURN, Alabama – Auburn’s defensive position coaches met with reporters on Wednesday. Cornerbacks coach Zac Etheridge, defensive line coach Nick Eason, linebackers coach Jeff Schmedding and outside linebackers coach/special teams coordinator Jeff Schmedding offered  their insights on Auburn’s new staff, head coach Bryan Harsin and much more.

Go inside for some Quotes of Note:

LB COACH JEFF SCHMEDDING

On collaborating with Derek Mason, staff

“Coach Mason has done a great job over his career with defense. We are always looking for a better way. I think that’s  the most unique part of it. We shoot ideas off each other and look for better ways to do things. Coach Mason definitely sets the table with that, and we learn a ton from his leadership. I’m excited that we have that continuity. In this league, in any league, you can get egos involved. We check our egos at the door, and ultimately we want the best way for Auburn.”

On Owen Pappoe on, off field

“I love to talk about Owen. I’m blessed to be able to coach a guy like Owen. One of the first times I talked to him was on the phone. Then I came up. You sit with him, and he’s as impressive off the field as he is on the field. He is very gifted. He’s obviously a kid that can run, he’s very strong, all those things. Really, the work he puts into it. He’s always the guy trying to get extra film. He’s a ways the guy asking the right questions and trying to help younger guys.

“With a new staff, everything is new for everybody. He is bought into it 100 percent. He really wanted to be challenged with his fundamentals and techniques and that is what we are doing. You are seeing a lot of those things improve. He has the God-given talent. He’s a blessing to coach because he loves football and takes care of business off the field as well.”

On linebackers overall

“It’s a great way to come in with guys that have played ball. That can go two ways a lot of times. I told them first and foremost ‘I’m not going just going to ask you to trust me.. It’s going to be built over time. I’m going to give them my trust from the jump, but I know I have to earn their trust. From the start, there has been a buy-in. You see it every day.

A kid like Zakoby: That kid loves football. There is no doubt about it. There were some things with his body that needed to improve and some fundamentals we discussed in our very first conversation. It’s coming along. The one thing you have is experience. When that ball breaks, that kid goes to the ball. When the ball breaks, Owen goes to the ball. They understand. They’ve been in those battles.

“Chandler Wooten is having a heck of a  spring. I’ve been extremely impressed with his professional manner. Defensive drill or special teams drill, he stands out. It’s special to him

“There was a little rust in the first part of the workouts. The rust is off. I can tell you that. Guys listen when he talks. That’s No. 1. When a guy has that ability, you want to make sure it’s the right message and it has been the right message.”

On decision to move to Auburn

I’ve been a couple of places and ultimately the ability to compete in the SEC certainly plays into it. When you’re in this job, it’s 90 hours a week. A lot of times you are away from your family. Family is important to me. You have to, in my opinion, go to work for somebody you believe in what their vision is. Being able to be the defensive coordinator at Boise State, seeing the vision,, how he carries himself, how that  gets implemented and then the family atmosphere he brings, for me it was a no-brainer. You are going to the most competitive league in college football and working for somebody you believe in. It’s a slam dunk.”

CB COACH ZAC ETHERIDGE

On recruiting for his alma mater

“It’s very special to me, it’s not really selling. I’ve been able to experience it. I’ve lived it. I’ve walked through these halls and been in their shoes before. So me sharing that experience is honestly personal. And just being able to show those guys and tell those guys, ‘Man, this is a place that you want to be. I mean this place is special. It’s been special to me since the day I walked in here as a 17-year-old,  18-year-old kid. And it’s still special. That’s one of the reasons I’m here today, is because of how special this place is.”

On working with DC Derek Mason in the secondary

“Having an opportunity to work with a guy like Derek Mason, I mean, first and foremost, the energy and the passion that he brings into the building every single day. He loves the game of football. He comes in, he teaches. He let the guys bring ideas to the table. So just being able to be in the room with him and not just learning from his experience as a coordinator but seeing him. He’s been on every level, from high school to the pros and college, and also been a head coach. So sitting in that room and sharing ideas, I’m just soaking it all in.

“As we go into the meeting room, we talk about it before. He lets me run the room. We do a great job of just sharing ideas and making sure the information to the kids is being spoken in the same language, so we’re all on the same page. That’s been the most impressive thing, just coming in every day and just being able to pick his brain and learn from him every single day, it’s awesome to work for a guy like him and I’m loving every moment of it.”

On recruiting philosophy

“You've got to thoroughly evaluate guys in all aspects of life and the football. I mean, we're not just looking at guys from a talent standpoint; we want guys that truly love the game of football. I mean, you can be the most talented guy out there, but if you don't love the game, then it don't mean anything.

“I want a guy that's going to go out there every single day and pretty much know that he's going out there to play for something bigger than himself. So, in my evaluation, when I call high school coaches and we talk to people around the student-athlete's life, I want to know is he doing everything on and off the field. I mean is he putting in the extra work? Is he doing the things that it takes to be an Auburn man before we decide to say, 'Hey, this is a guy we want?'

“I recruit making sure that we're finding the right people. And when we find the people that truly love the game of football, like myself. I'm looking for those underdogs at times. I'm looking for those guys that don't have the four or five stars at times, and those would be the guys that will kind of get you over the hump. And those are guys that truly believe in that blue collar mentality. Along with the four-, five-stars. They have that same makeup of what we're looking for in a student athlete.”

On cornerback Roger McCreary

“Well, the biggest thing with Roger is he's very talented. He has a lot of makeup. He has the skillset to play on Sundays. I mean, every single day with Roger is he comes up to my office. The biggest is improving your football IQ and making sure that you're studying the game and not just playing on athletic ability. So he's going to be a special player. We're working on that.

“But just seeing some of the things that he do in practice from a movement standpoint and recognize things because he can tackle, he can run, he can cover, but now let's play the game before the snap even happens. And that's what we continue to improve on and work every single day is let's have great instincts and see what happen before it even happens. So now you can play faster and be an elite corner."

OLB/SPECIAL TEAMS COORDINATOR BERT WATTS

On how his energy has gotten attention

“The energy, I think it comes from my position coach when I was a player in college. He always taught me — J.P. Williams is his name and we worked together as coaches as well - your players are going to be reflections of you. So the energy that you bring day in and day out, if that’s what you want from your players, if you want your players to bring it every day and be fired up, be excited and happy to be there and see practices as not just another practice but an opportunity to grow and get better every single day, you have to bring that as well, you have to show that as well. You can’t just say it, you have to bring the actions behind your words. And honestly, it’s always made it more fun for me. And the more energy I can bring, it just makes the whole process more exciting, more enjoyable and I think that allows me and my group with the edge backers and also the entire special teams and all the guys that we get to work with on the team, it makes it exciting. It makes it fun.

“Every single day, like when we get done with practice, there are smiles as we huddle up as the edge backer group. Everyone is smiling. They’re enjoying the process. They enjoy getting better, and we’re all talking about how we can get better next practice and what we need to do and the goals we need to set. So that’s something that I feel like you always have to do, you can’t ever let that slide. The good days, the bad days, when you step out on that field, I mean that’s what we do it for. You can feel the energy of each other and help each other out and bring what you need to that team to be successful.”

On edge rusher Derick Hall

“He brings a lot. He brings the consistency that you need with leadership. And any great leader is going to be consistent. They’re going to do the right things every single day, not just on the field but off the field. They’re going to have a steady mindset, be steady emotionally and not be up and down depending on how the day went or the day before went. That’s what Derick is. He’s Mr. Consistency. Every single day, he’s staying on the right level. He’s calm, cool, collected. He takes the coaching well. So that’s a great example in your room when you’re sitting there working with guys and trying to get them better.

“There’s critique involved, so you have to be humble and be able to take it, and he’s a great example of that that the guys have all learned from and gotten better off the bat. I think he can be very good. I think he’s got a great chance to be a great player in this defense. Every day I see him, there’s something that’s getting better. Some little technique here or there – maybe effort to the ball here or pass-rush technique here or drop here – that you see improve, and that’s what’s exciting. Every day, he’s going to try to get better at something. There’s going to be something that he’s trying to work on to get better at.”

On working with Nick Eason

“I’ve really enjoyed working with Nick. He’s an amazing coach and even better man. He’s someone who is incredibly knowledgeable in the game. He has experience that is really impressive. So, as always, I’m trying to learn as a coach, I’m trying to get better every single day that I’m out here just like players are, and he’s been a great resource for me. But also, we kind of feed off each other with our energy, like we talked about before.. … Our offices are right next to each other, so we’re popping in back and forth into each other’s offices and bouncing ideas off each other to try to find the best techniques we can use for these guys. So that’s been great. And our players have really done a great job of working back and forth between the two of us and it’s been pretty seamless there. We’re excited to have the opportunity to work together the rest of the way.”

On having three current or former defensive coordinators on staff

“”Well, great collaboration comes with humility. That’s the strength of this group. Everybody in that room, including all three of us, are humble, hard-working guys who just want to try to find a way to be better. Whenever you have that combination, you have an amazing opportunity to grow and improve that side of the football, because we’ve all done things differently, we’ve all done certain things the same. It’s a fine line to be able to tweak and turn and find the angles you need to create something special. I think, with this group, we’re going to be able to do that. So it’s been great so far.”

DEFENSIVE LINE COACH NICK EASON

On his decision to join the Auburn staff

I just feel like I'm where God wanted me to be. Honestly, I had a great relationship with Derek Mason that goes back to my days when I was coaching the Tennessee Titans and he was at Vanderbilt University as a head coach. It was a job that I was interested in before they hired Tracy Rocker, who is a good friend of mine and someone who I respect a lot. I had some other opportunities to go back to the NFL, and I really wanted this job. I prayed about it. They gave the job to Tracy initially, which was totally understandable. He is a great former defensive player. He's in the Auburn Hall of Fame. He's done a lot of great things. Great person, great dude. He's got a lot of history here. So my attention turned back towards the league.

On his defensive line philosophy

“All great defenses always have great defensive lines. We have a lot of good players in the room, from top to bottom. It always starts up front. Teams that win national championships and SEC championships, they have great defensive lines. I'm honored and excited for the opportunity to lead these guys, to be able to be dominant. That's our goal — dominate the line of scrimmage and be the best. I talk to my guys about being the best in the world. Be the best at everything we do. That's the standard, just being tough, being relentless, being disciplined, being committed and being dependable. I talk to my guys about that every single day when they step in the meeting room. That's our identity. So it starts up front.

“We're doing the things every day in individual — getting great knockback, playing with great leverage, being able to use your hands and leverage your gaps, getting off the blocks — and that's what it comes down to. Just those general fundamentals.”

On the transition from the NFL to college

“I guess I spent the last 18 years in the NFL as a player and then as a coach. The transition, for me, has been easy. I guess, I think, the biggest thing is just the recruiting piece of it. Normally in the offseason in the NFL, you’re just sitting around watching collegiate film and you’re just kind of getting ready for the Senior Bowl and getting ready for the combine and doing reports in your office. In this world, you have an opportunity to get out, recruit and talk to high school coaches, these kids and their parents. I’m a people person, so I’ve embraced it. It’s kind of been easy. Being from South Georgia, I grew up in a place where they have a two-hour conversation with just a random person they’ve never seen in the grocery store where I’m from, so me picking up the phone and having a real connection with the players and their families and the coaches, that’s easy for me. I embrace that, and I’m excited to have that opportunity to be able to recruit.

On Auburn’s defensive line tradition

“I was recruited and offered by Auburn, actually, to play tight end, not defensive line, I might remember. But, yeah, Auburn has always had a great tradition. I played against Takeo Spikes in high school. I coached Carl Lawson in Cincinnati the last couple of year so got to know him. I came here last year and got to know Derrick Brown and Marlon Davidson. I coached Angelo Blackson, drafted him when I was with the Tennessee Titans. Gabe Wright, I’ve crossed paths with him as well. So it’s a tradition, especially on the defensive line here at Auburn and it’s going to continue to be that way. It starts up front.

“The history as far as great defensive lines here at Auburn dates back many, many years before I ever came along. Want to continue that tradition here. Continue to be the best and get guys that will graduate and be better men and have the opportunity to play in the NFL.

Start the Conversation 

">247Sports

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

It is Tom's follow-up that I am presenting, and without comment. 

Humility...I love this staff 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1