Notebook:

toddc

4 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

You're too short

Speaking of that...around 9th grade, when I passed my dad in height, he told me, "a man can't help being short, but he can help being small".  That always stuck with me.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Speaking of that...around 9th grade, when I passed my dad in height, he told me, "a man can't help being short, but he can help being small".  That always stuck with me.

Love that

Here's my favorite story about height: 

I went to middle school with Alex Tyus. It was a private school in St. Louis, Missouri and it would often "recruit" high school athletes as 7th and 8th graders to get around recruiting violations. Alex was one of those kids. Honestly, one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. He plays in Europe now, and as a result has probably received a better education than most of us, but for the purpose of this story I need to mention that as an 8th grader he wasn't the brightest. 

One day, during P.E. we were measuring our vertical leaps. For the uninitiated, you begin by measuring your standing reach. Alex's was 9 feet. Someone said, "Hey Alex, you only have to jump one foot to reach the rim." He replied, "Man, I can't jump no 36 inches!" 

• Haha 1

Auburn cornerbacks about competition, not depth this spring

10 hours ago

AUBURN, Ala. — Auburn has plenty of cooks in its cornerbacks kitchen. And there’s more on the way. But new position coach Zac Etheridge knows spring isn’t the time to worry about numbers, lineups or pecking orders.

What he desires is simple: Players giving their all every day. The rest will fall into place soon enough.

“Right now, we’re truly focusing on everybody mastering their craft every single day,” Etheridge said during a meeting with reporters Wednesday. “Getting better at being the best version of themselves is the main thing.”

A former Auburn defensive back himself off the 2010 national championship team, Etheridge inherited what might be the Tigers’ deepest and most talented position group when Bryan Harsin hired him from Houston. 

Roger McCreary could have been a mid-round NFL draft pick had he left school early. Nehemiah Pritchett had one of the best individual coverage seasons in recent SEC history last year. Jaylin Simpson is back fully healthy after he won the No. 2 cornerback job last fall. Then there’s plenty of talent behind them with JUCO products Marco Domio and Kamal Hadden itching for a role, too. And there’s more talent incoming this summer when West Virginia transfer Dreshun Miller, one of the Big 12’s best corners in 2020, arrives on campus.

Of course, Etheridge has his leaders — the veterans of the room — taking on their assumed roles.

“Those guys, they’re buying into what we ask them to do every single day,” Etheridge said. “Putting in the work. My group, led by Roger and a couple of guys like Nehemiah and Simp (Simpson) and those guys. They’ve been showing up every single day, to come in and do what I’m asking them to do.”

Etheridge’s official title on Harsin’s staff is cornerbacks coach, but new defensive coordinator Derek Mason, who coaches safeties, said earlier in spring camp that he and Etheridge are more like co-captains of the secondary, bouncing ideas off one another to max out the potential of the Tigers’ defensive backs. 

“His ability to understand the game is far beyond his years,” Mason said of Etheridge last month.

In the secondary meeting room this spring, Etheridge said Mason takes a backseat and listens to ideas for improvement from Auburn’s defensive backs, then lets Etheridge handle things for the most part.

“[Mason] lets me run the room,” Etheridge said. “We do a great job of just sharing ideas and making sure the information to the kids is being spoken in the same language, so we’re all on the same page. That’s been the most impressive thing, is just coming in every day and just being able to pick his brain and learn from him every single day, it’s awesome to work for a guy like him and I’m loving every moment of it.”

Now in the third week of the spring, McCreary and Simpson are the top two corners, with Pritchett now sliding inside to nickel. Ladarius Tennison has shifted back from nickel to the second safety spot alongside Smoke Monday. McCreary has been particularly impressive to Etheridge.

"[McCreary] has the skill set to play on Sundays," Etheridge said. "I mean, every single day with Roger is he comes up to my office. The biggest is improving your football IQ and making sure that you're studying the game and not just playing on athletic ability. So he's going to be a special player."

Sign up for the Auburn Undercover Newsletter and get Auburn breaking news in your inbox

3COMMENTS

In fall camp, Miller will be looking to make an impact immediately as a high-profile transfer. And Etheridge has made his players aware of that, and the fact that the room will become even more crowded. 

“The depth of the room — there’s no such thing as depth,” Etheridge said. “But at the end of the day you want to have that because competition breeds success. And I want those guys to continue to compete every single day to make each other better. And I’m going to continue to add guys to that room, they know that. And that’s what we want to do is making sure that they continue to push each other every single day to continue to get better.”

Chandler Wooten having ‘heck of a spring’ on field, as leader for Auburn after 2020 opt-out

Updated Apr 07, 2021; Posted Apr 07, 2021 

Senior linebacker Chandler Wooten (31) goes through a tackling drill during Auburn football practice on Wednesday, March 24, 2021 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU AthleticsTodd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Facebook Share

Twitter Share

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Chandler Wooten became a father in the fall, but when winter rolled around, he may have felt more like a grandpa.

After opting out of last season due to health and safety concerns related to the COVID-19 pandemic, Wooten returned to the field with his teammates back in January to participate in Auburn’s offseason workout program. Needless to say, after more than five months away from the team and the game he loves, Wooten needed time to get back into the swing of things.

“There was a little rust in the first part of workouts,” inside linebackers coach Jeff Schmedding said. “He was joking around that he felt a little bit old at that point — but the rust is off.”

As Auburn is underway with the second half of spring practices, Wooten was a player who on Wednesday garnered some unprompted praise from Schmedding, who said the fifth-year senior is having a “heck of a spring” so far.

It would be easy to forget about Wooten, or for the veteran to get lost in the mix after sitting out last season, especially given what Auburn brings back at the linebacker position this season. Most of the attention, understandably, is on junior Owen Pappoe, a former five-star prospect who has been a starter since Day 1 on the Plains, and senior Zakoby McClain, who led the nation in tackles a year ago.

Those two make up the heart of Auburn’s defense, but the return of Wooten to the fold this offseason provides Auburn with valuable depth, as well as experience that is otherwise lacking from the rest of the linebacker corps. Wooten appeared in 19 games during his first three seasons on campus, racking up 43 tackles and an interception, and while he wasn’t a starter, per se, he was a vital part of Auburn’s core four group of linebackers during his junior season in 2019, when he had 25 tackles in 11 appearances.

“We love to have him back, man,” Pappoe said. “We really missed him a lot last year…. He’s gonna be a big help for us this year.”

Wooten has primarily repped with the second-team defense at inside linebacker this spring, lining up alongside Cam Riley while Pappoe and McClain have gotten the bulk of the first-team work. Defensive coordinator Derek Mason, meanwhile, said Wooten has the ability to play some outside linebacker in Auburn’s new-look defense this year and also has the skillset to “walk in space” off the edge.

Regardless of where he lines up, Wooten has done well in leaving a strong impression on the new staff from the get-go this spring.

“I have been extremely impressed with his professional manner,” Schmedding said. “He goes about his business. He has been handling his business. Whatever drill, it doesn’t matter if it’s a defensive drill or special teams drill, he stands out because it’s important to him.”

While Wooten brings invaluable experience to the linebacker position, his most valuable asset to the team has been in his leadership. The 6-foot-3, 232-pounder has long been a respected voice within Auburn’s locker room, and that hasn’t changed since his return to the team in January. That is something that Schmedding has been particularly pleased with, because Wooten is one of those leader types who can help a new staff with its transition and really help hammer home new concepts and new ways of doing things.

“Guys listen when he talks,” Schmedding said. “A guy that has that ability, you’re not just hoping but you’re trying to make sure it’s the right message and it has been. He reiterates what we’re saying, and he does a good job of self-diagnosing too. He’s not just one of those guys that points at other people. That’s a big step for everybody when you’re talking about a new staff.

“The teams that get split are the ones that blame and defend themselves. I have not seen anything like that from Chand;er. On the daily, I think his performance and his voice are on the right trend. I always talk about trends because one day doesn’t really cut it. You can have a good day or a bad day, but what’s your trend. His trend is pointing in the right direction both on the field and with his off-field leadership.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

Our linebacker corps could be the best we’ve had in a long time!

The younger linebackers are the ones I'm really hoping to see shine. Steiner and Riley are supposed to be big time.

• Like 3

Players loving the coaches. The coaches gelling with each other with no egos  involved and letting each other collaborate...you love to see it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

I love this, especially being slightly height challenged. Can't wait to use it...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fredst said:

I love this, especially being slightly height challenged. Can't wait to use it...

Please do.

6 hours ago, Zeek said:

The younger linebackers are the ones I'm really hoping to see shine. Steiner and Riley are supposed to be big time.

Our LB room is legit. I keep forgetting about Joko as well. I think he will definitely have a role. Love our LB room.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Our LB room is legit. I keep forgetting about Joko as well. I think he will definitely have a role. Love our LB room.

Joko has 3 years to play if I remember right! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Yes he does. I don't think he is here until Spring though. I wonder if Riley is going to play mostly inside or OLB. He seems like an ideal OLB, but early reports were that he was rotating inside.

11 hours ago, bigbird said:

So is this just another way of saying "Drink more beer, son" ?

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

I’m pretty sure it’s 4. He redshirted his first year of JUCO, then they cancelled their season last year. He’s going to be a very mature freshman. 

• Like 1

Young Auburn linebacker's development 'took off' this spring

ByNATHAN KING 89 minutes ago 

AUBURN, Ala. — Building Cam Riley’s lanky frame into that of an SEC linebacker was a task the previous Tigers staff was excited for. Now, Riley’s new coaches are picking up where things left off to help the young defender pack on weight and develop into a big difference-maker for Auburn’s front seven.

As a true freshman, Riley checked in at 6-foot-4 and 209 pounds on Auburn’s official roster — already a good start after he sat under 200 during his high-school career in Evergreen, Alabama. But his new position coach, former Boise State defensive coordinator Jeff Schmedding, noticed Riley hitting a wall in terms of conditioning.

Then there was a breakthrough. During new strength coach Jeff Pitman’s winter workouts, Riley took another step forward and added 10 more pounds, which makes Schmedding all the more excited about what his high-ceiling linebacker can do on the field as a sophomore. According to Auburn’s spring roster, he grew an inch, too.

“He is coming along; I am really excited about Cam,” Schmedding said this week. “The big thing when I first got here was the weight. He is a long kid, a rangy kind, and wanted to put on some size. Really, he was kind of stalling out with that, and took off. He bought into the weight room and is taking care of himself nutritionally. Those are the type of things that he needed, first and foremost, foundationally.”

With Riley now cruising in his development, the Tigers are eager to see how he can contribute in 2021. Riley was the defense’s most-used freshman linebacker last season, taking the most snaps out of the group of him, Wesley Steiner and Desmond Tisdol.

Riley’s length allowed him to be a versatile piece for the defense, as he bounced from inside to outside linebacker spots, and even creeped down to the defensive line and played some pass-rushing snaps. He appeared in all 11 games, contributing nine tackles.

With Auburn splitting its linebackers into Schmedding and Bert Watts’ rooms this year — inside, box linebackers with Schmedding; roaming, outside ‘backers and edge rushers with Watts — Riley has been with the former throughout the Tigers’ three weeks of spring ball so far. 

He and senior Chandler Wooten have been directly behind Zakoby McClain and Owen Pappoe, rounding out a strong, four-man, inside linebacker rotation that should occupy the bulk of starting snaps this fall.

But Auburn’s coaches liked what they saw out of Riley on the outside last season. They’ll continue to observe his skill set, and Schmedding could see him bouncing to outside linebacker if he, Watts and defensive coordinator Derek Masonbelieve it would be beneficial for him and the defense in a given personnel grouping.

“He has been in my room the whole time, up until this point,” Schmedding said. “Now, as we get through spring and we get towards the end of it, we certainly want to put guys in position to be successful and we are moving some things around. His impact, and everything is a package in football, for us we are trying to figure out who are our best 11 in situational football. Is it vs. heavier personnel or more edge guys, vs. lighter personnel who are our edge guys? And on the third downs and the pressure packages, where can we put different players.”

Auburn will continue to tweak and mold Riley’s raw athleticism during summer workouts and into fall camp. But his new defensive coaches have been pleased with what they’ve seen out of the youngster so far and predict a step forward for Riley in his sophomore season, especially as he learns from two of the SEC’s best in McClain and Pappoe, and a senior in Wooten.

Sign up for the Auburn Undercover Newsletter and get Auburn breaking news in your inbox

“He’s a little bit raw now, and obviously that comes with time and reps and those things, but he has got a bright future,” Schmedding said of Riley. “I foresee him being a guy who has position versatility where we can move him around and maximize his talents.”

Weather permitting, Auburn will invite students, faculty and staff into Jordan-Hare Stadium on Saturday at 11 a.m. CST for an open scrimmage before the team enters its final week of spring ball.

Start the Conversation 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/6/2021 at 7:55 PM, augolf1716 said:

Not me

depends are adult diapers golf...............

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

depends are adult diapers golf...............

You know that was the joke he made, right?

On 4/8/2021 at 7:56 AM, bigbird said:

Wise words, was your dad an owl? :big:

I too passed my dad in height about the same time as you but the truth is that even though I was a good 5 inches taller I never felt like I was looking downward when I talked to him. He was my dad and I guess the respect made it seem like we were always eye to eye. 

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

"which I feel like is something a lot of you want to hear"

It all is, Josh. All of it. Reams of paper laying in a pile behind Santa's chair as he checks items off his list. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I have long thought Shaun is not best suited to run sweeps like Gus pigeonholed him to do.  Glad he feels suited for this new offense. My gosh I bet these coaches are salivating at what they actually inherited compared to what they saw on film. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I have long thought Shaun is not best suited to run sweeps like Gus pigeonholed him to do.  Glad he feels suited for this new offense. My gosh I bet these coaches are salivating at what they actually inherited compared to what they saw on film. 

Gus was preoccupied with metrics and preexisting notions like a lot of fans are. 

• Like 1