Notebook:

toddc

1 hour ago, WFE12 said:

I love this man.

Obviously I am bias and homer but I truly believe this gentleman fits the Auburn culture. A blue collar, low key , say it how it is, hard working leader.  Super genuine and speaks right from the cuff. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Obviously I am bias and homer but I truly believe this gentleman fits the Auburn culture. A blue collar, low key , say it how it is, hard working leader.  Super genuine and speaks right from the cuff. 

Professional coach who thinks like a damn winner all the time. Think like a champion today 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, DAG said:

Absolutely. Has some serious swag to him, too. The "don't talk about it, be about it" kind. 

No kidding, I recalibrated big time when I found out he was a drag racer. I don't think that's a small detail at all. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Absolutely. Has some serious swag to him, too. The "don't talk about it, be about it" kind. 

No kidding, I recalibrated big time when I found out he was a drag racer. I don't think that's a small detail at all. 

Definitely something I can't wait to be translated in the secondary. No more talking because the guy dropped the ball which had nothing to do with you.

If you want to talk you have to make a play. Pay the cost to be the boss. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, cole256 said:

No more talking because the guy dropped the ball which had nothing to do with you.

This drives me insane ! 

• Like 3

On 4/13/2021 at 6:24 PM, DAG said:

I don’t expect to see complete discipline play until about two years down the line 

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Quotes of note from 18 Auburn players this spring

ByNATHAN KING 32 minutes ago 

Share2 Comments

With only Friday's practice remaining before Auburn's 2021 A-Day spring game, the Tigers are nearly done with the first spring practices of the Bryan Harsin era. The team will also practice one day next week to make up for a weather cancelation from earlier in the spring.

In all, 18 different players have spoken to reporters this spring about the new coaching staff, changes on offense, defense and special teams, leaders, early enrollee freshmen, breakout players to watch and more.

In position order, here's one standout quote from each Auburn player the media has had the chance to chat with this spring.

QB BO NIX

On another new system for Auburn's offense to learn: "Yeah, change is difficult. Change is hard to go through. But sometimes, if you take advantage of it, on the other side of change, it can present an opportunity. And I think that's what we have right now. We have a great opportunity with our new staff."

RB TANK BIGSBY

On inviting contact as a runner: "I was always taught, once you make ‘em feel you, they’ll do want to feel you anymore, for real. Going out of bounds, they’ll probably think I’ll go out of bounds every time and try to take a cheap shot on you or something. ... Just being physical. You have to be physical at running back. I don’t think I’ll go out of bounds."

RB SHAUN SHIVERS

On how the new offense affects the run game: "To me, I would just say that it's a little bit different. It's more downhill. It's more, like, attacking the defense. I think it's more of our style here as running backs — get downhill and just do what we do."

WR JA'VARRIUS JOHNSON

On finally being healthy in his third year with the program: “It’s a good opportunity. One of the things I’ve always wanted to do was come in and play at Auburn. Getting the chance to come out here and show what I can do is always great. I’m really embracing it.”

TE LUKE DEAL

On what the new offense means for Auburn's tight ends: "We’re all having a good time right now. It’s definitely difficult, it’s more of a pro-style offense and we’re having to learn a lot of different things which was — early on it was tough — we’re starting to get used to things and now it’s, like you said, it’s a little more fun, little more advanced and we’re enjoying it. We’re a big part of the offense right now so that’s something that everybody’s looking forward to for this season."

OT AUSTIN TROXELL

On the biggest difference for the offensive line from the start of spring ball to now: "I think we're definitely more physical than we started out — knocked a little of the rust off since the end of the fall. We're coming a long way to be more consistent. We're playing more physical than we were at the start of it."

OG TASHAWN MANNING

On how new offensive line coach Will Friend's philosophies differ from the previous staff: “I feel like it’s a lot more thinking on the techniques. A lot of the techniques aren’t built on the offense; they’re built on the angles of the defenders, the linebackers and D-line.”

C NICK BRAHMS

On redshirt sophomore guard Keiondre Jones' progression:"Yeah, I’ve seen he’s really focused, really driven guy. Really strong guy, too. He can move people off the ball. He’s quick, man. He’s got all the tools necessary to be an offensive linemen in the SEC and at the next level, too. He’s a great player and a great addition to the O-line from last year, and he’s only going to get better moving forward."

OT BRODARIOUS HAMM

On putting a difficult 2020 behind him: "It was a long year for me. But God gives his battles to his strongest warriors — I firmly believe in that. I'm just glad to put it behind me."

EDGE DERICK HALL

On adding 18 pounds since last season: "Oh yeah, that was my goal this offseason to get stronger, get bigger, get faster. So we're just moving along pretty good. I mean, I feel good. I feel like I can still move, still play to the run. 251 feels good. It's definitely helped me."

DE COLBY WOODEN

On being a leader along the defensive line: "It feels like just yesterday I was looking up to Marlon (Davidson) and Derrick (Brown); now I'm kind of the old head in the room, I guess you could say. It's just exciting to have the younger guys look up to me and, you know, be put in that role of leadership and guiding the right ways so we can be successful."

DT J.J. PEGUES

On moving from tight end to defensive lineman: "I chose to go to D-line just for my team — so we can get wins."

LB ZAKOBY MCCLAIN

On being snubbed of All-SEC recognition last year: "It hurt a little they didn’t give me any award last year. But it just gives me more motivation. I've got a chip on my shoulder to just keep going harder and harder."

LB OWEN PAPPOE

On winter workouts: "Man, we're gonna look like some Marines come fall, I'm telling you. But Coach Pitman's program is crazy."

LB CHANDLER WOOTEN

On fatherhood: "Best part of my day. After a long day of practice or workouts, whatever it may be, you go home and that's the first thing you see is him smiling. So after my day I get to go home and see a mini me. So I'm loving it."

CB JAYLIN SIMPSON

On new cornerbacks coach Zac Etheridge: "He's all about superior development. He talks about when he played there, and he gives us a lot of FBI — football intelligence. So I carry that with me all the time. Anything he says, I just keep in my back pocket."

S SMOKE MONDAY

On his leadership role as a senior: “It’s going to be a big deal for me because last year I was one of the vocal guys. Coming into the season, I feel like I help a lot of players out with my knowledge of the game. I feel like if I can continue to be that kind of leader in the secondary, then on defense we have a great shot of being a great defense this year.”

K ANDERS CARLSON

2COMMENTS

On taking the confidence from a big junior season into 2021: “I was proud of the season I had last year. I had some goals set out and I was right there where I wanted to be. One of two kicks the other way and I think I could have been the top guy in the nation. For me it’s not about focusing on last year. I’m going to carry some stuff, the positives and the confidence, into this year. Just really seeking that goal again. I’m just kind of leaving it be and taking that confidence into a new year. I have to prove myself again.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/13/2021 at 10:56 AM, McLoofus said:

It actually is sad when you think about how much money might've been left on the table for guys that really could've used it.

Onward.

Or how much Kodi made going along with it.   

9 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

Or how much Kodi made going along with it.   

Eh. I think Kodi was trapped in the same cell his WRs were. I mean, he was damned lucky to be there to begin with, and Gus unquestionably accelerated his career. But that's only because he actually did learn and get better while he was here, unlike his boss. And when it came to game day, it wasn't his coaching that let us down. He suffered from the grade school passing concepts right along with his guys. 

But you're right that he got paid a little much to learn on the job. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Eh. I think Kodi was trapped in the same cell his WRs were. I mean, he was damned lucky to be there to begin with, and Gus unquestionably accelerated his career. But that's only because he actually did learn and get better while he was here, unlike his boss. And when it came to game day, it wasn't his coaching that let us down. He suffered from the grade school passing concepts right along with his guys. 

But you're right that he got paid a little much to learn on the job. 

He earned his pay with recruiting.  We brought in WR we had no reason to have with this offense.  And most everyone is pretty high on all the young WR he brought in.

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

He earned his pay with recruiting.  We brought in WR we had no reason to have with this offense.  And most everyone is pretty high on all the young WR he brought in.

Exactly the improvement I was talking about. He had major problems as a recruiter early on. He had no business getting the job in the first place. But he learned and worked hard and got better. And yeah, he landed a bunch of dogs. Which is why the lack of production in the passing game was so galling. He filling the garage with fancy BMWs, but his boss was scared to drive over the speed limit. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Exactly the improvement I was talking about. He had major problems as a recruiter early on. He had no business getting the job in the first place. But he learned and worked hard and got better. And yeah, he landed a bunch of dogs. Which is why the lack of production in the passing game was so galling. He filling the garage with fancy BMWs, but his boss was scared to drive over the speed limit. 

It'll be interesting to see how he does in an offense that is a bit more sophisticated

10 hours ago, W.E.D said:

It'll be interesting to see how he does in an offense that is a bit more sophisticated

I am curious to see how a QB and offense used to a sophisticated offense adapt to Gus less sophisticated offense at UCF

Normally going from a spread offense to a pro style would be a multiple year adjustment.  But being Malzahn never utilized his talent and didn't teach that many plays lol.  Not much to transition from haha. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Normally going from a spread offense to a pro style would be a multiple year adjustment.  But being Malzahn never utilized his talent and didn't teach that many plays lol.  Not much to transition from haha. 

Good point, there's not a whole lot to have to unteach.