J.T Thor declares for the Draft (with option to return)

tgrogan21

At this point we might want to turn one of these transfer threads into a catch-all. Pretty sure Coop and Flan will declare for the draft soon. But this was something that everyone expected. Good to get his grade and find out what he needs to work on.

• Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1

Auburn's JT Thor testing NBA Draft waters

104 seconds ago

JT Thor is the first Tiger to announce he'll be testing out the NBA waters.

Thor, a rising sophomore who started all 27 games for Auburn last season, announced Tuesday afternoon he'll be entering his name into the NBA draft process. He said in his announcement that he is leaving open the possibility of returning to school next season.

2COMMENTS

A former four-star prospect from Norcross, Georgia, Thor averaged 9.4 points, 5.0 rebounds and 1.5 blocks per game as a true freshman.

Auburn Undercover is updating this story. Check back soon for additional information.

I will say though that his announcement sure makes me question if he'll be coming back. It sounds like coming back is an option but he certainly is anticipating going pro. Losing Thor would be a tough one. I'm going to have to see how this whole thing pans out...getting a bad feeling about this offseason

• Like 1

He won't be in the NBA next year.  There isn't enough room on rosters.

Coaches have a full time job just keeping college rosters together. Between the G League, Draft and Transfer Portal, it is a 24/7 struggle to keep the players focused and not feeling like they are missing out on something else.

• Like 2

I believe a Player has to enter his name into the NBA Draft to be eligible to participate in the NBA Pro Basketball Combine. So I expect certain Auburn players to enter their names in the draft (Thor, Flanagan, Sharife).  I am not sure that by entering your name in the NBA draft that you automatically get to go to the NBA combine. I think you still have to be invited. I am pretty sure Sharife and Flanagan have demonstrated enough at Auburn to warrant an invite I don't believe Thor has but he might be invited more on his potential than what he showed this year.

It is the right choice for players who have potential to go NBA to put their names in the draft and go to combine for an honest evaluation.  Shortly after the combine we should know which if any of the players will keep their names in the draft and which if any will return to Auburn. I think all three could go either way. For the players sake I hope they blow it up and become NBA players. In the long run the more we put in the NBA the more it helps with recruiting which should help the team long run especially if they are not one and done types. As an Auburn fan I want the best of both worlds I want players to stay long enough that we have one of the top teams if not the top team every year. We put a lot of players in the NBA but after they have been on the team for 2-4 years and part of the reason they got to NBA is how they developed at Auburn. 

17 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Didn't BP say last year or year before he encourages players to enter and get their draft grade? 

Yup. And if they get a good grade he always pushes them to leave. He wants what is best for the players at the end of the day and not just his team.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

Does that free up a spot for Kessler now?

No, as this is just putting hat in the ring to hopefully get to NBA combine and have a chance to show if he has what it takes or if needs to develop more. Since Combine is late May Kessler will probably have committed before we know status on Thor and any others who opt in for the NBA draft.  Until they get an agent they can still return to school.

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I could see him grading out amazingly if he is allowed to do the combine. If it was last years draft, I’d be more worried about him leaving 

I still think that the NBA will look at him as needing more physical maturing, as he is so young, but not strong enough physically to go up against the big guys in the NBA. He will look much more draftable by next year for sure....

He actually has the frame and intangibles that it doesn't matter what he did during the season he could get drafted off potential alone

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I still think that the NBA will look at him as needing more physical maturing, as he is so young, but not strong enough physically to go up against the big guys in the NBA. He will look much more draftable by next year for sure....

I think it’s just all about what matters to this guy. Between more resources put into the GLeague, everyone wanting something like a floor stretching big (4 and esp 5), he MIGHT get a high 2nd grade just bc guys really like the potential and believe they can get him built themselves 

Like I said, the depth will hurt the first round hopes a lot more than his potential. There’s some studs that are gonna fall all the way to the mid 2nd. Guys who produced more on this level AND have some ceiling 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cole256 said:

He actually has the frame and intangibles that it doesn't matter what he did during the season he could get drafted off potential alone

Been saying this! 

Our fans will learn about this process soon enough lol 

Edited by Tiger
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If I were an NBA GM and was required to take one player off the AU team Thor would be my pick. Happily, no GM is going to be forced to pick an AU player so maybe we'll get him back next year.

• Like 3

THIS is what concerns me about the One and Dones. 

Have one of them, and you can still build the program. 

Have a group of them, and you are constantly building with no relative expectations of who is coming back next year.

Look at the chronic one and done teams this year.  I've loved seeing there downfall and don't wish to live in that same scenario.  I just don't know how you strike a balance.

2 hours ago, AUGoo said:

THIS is what concerns me about the One and Dones. 

Have one of them, and you can still build the program. 

Have a group of them, and you are constantly building with no relative expectations of who is coming back next year.

Look at the chronic one and done teams this year.  I've loved seeing there downfall and don't wish to live in that same scenario.  I just don't know how you strike a balance.

It is tough, especially the timing of them, since you have basically already finished recruiting, so now you have to go to the transfer portal depending how many leave.

So now in 3 years we have lost 2 1 and 2 and done players, with possibly up to 2 more this year being 1 and dones. 

On 3/23/2021 at 1:03 PM, gravejd said:

I expect about the entire team to do this as well. 

@gravejd I don't. Players can only go throught the draft process 2 times in their college careers.

On 3/23/2021 at 1:45 PM, slyinsocal said:

Does that free up a spot for Kessler now?

@slyinsocal No. Thor will go through the process but is expected back at AU. Also barring scholly reductions from the NCAA we have room to add Kessler regardless.

• Like 1