J.T Thor declares for the Draft (with option to return)

tgrogan21

Sure sounds to me like Thor wants to go. But there's a chance if process doesn't go so well. Right now doesn't look like there is a for sure returnee on the roster except probably Dylan

10 hours ago, Tiger said:

Been saying this! 

Our fans will learn about this process soon enough lol 

I started getting too involved again, arguing about stuff I know for fact.......I'm stepping back again and just saying it, explain why I said it so people that's open can see and discuss the logic if they want and then nothing but ok's after that. 

I've accepted they going to hate to hear it from me no matter what. Hell remember when I would ask you to say things every now and again so people would listen? You can't please people bro. I'm just going to let the record speak for itself. Literally the same arguments I had about chuma.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

@slyinsocal No. Thor will go through the process but is expected back at AU. Also barring scholly reductions from the NCAA we have room to add Kessler regardless.

Sure? He’s a big dude.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, ellitor said:

@gravejd I don't. Players can only go throught the draft process 2 times in their college careers.

A player can only go through the draft evaluation process twice? I did not know that, so maybe just Flan, Thor, and Coop get evaluated this go around. 

• Like 1

FWIW Hooks is heavily implying that Thor will likely go all the way through & stay in the draft.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

FWIW Hooks is heavily implying that Thor will likely go all the way through & stay in the draft.

His message when entering the draft definitely sounded like he was planning on not coming back 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

That would freakin suck! I can understand Cooper going pro if he got a lottery grade. But there’s no way Thor wouldn’t benefit from an extra year in college.

3 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

That would freakin suck! I can understand Cooper going pro if he got a lottery grade. But there’s no way Thor wouldn’t benefit from an extra year in college.

He would benefit, but not as much as Cooper.  Also, Thor is a better prospect at this point in time. The guy is 6'10", has an outside shot and is a cinch to gain muscle.

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

I recognize that you spend substantially more time than I scouring Twitter and Auburn forums for information, but I'm skeptical.  There is a going to be a stark contrast between Thor's perspective (communicated through Auburn insiders) and the perspective of NBA scouts.  Demand for bigs, even stretch bigs, has plummeted in the last five years.  They're getting drafted lower and earning less money in free agency.  SFs are increasingly playing minutes at PF and PFs are increasingly playing minutes at C.  Thor has enough potential to get picked up in the second round (where there is no guaranteed money), but is too unproven to be picked in the first. 

I believe that he wants to go pro, but he will be strongly cautioned against it.  Thor needs to return to school. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Aubie the Tiger said:

I recognize that you spend substantially more time than I scouring Twitter and Auburn forums for information, but I'm skeptical.  There is a going to be a stark contrast between Thor's perspective (communicated through Auburn insiders) and the perspective of NBA scouts.  Demand for bigs, even stretch bigs, has plummeted in the last five years.  They're getting drafted lower and earning less money in free agency.  SFs are increasingly playing minutes at PF and PFs are increasingly playing minutes at C.  Thor has enough potential to get picked up in the second round (where there is no guaranteed money), but is too unproven to be picked in the first. 

I believe that he wants to go pro, but he will be strongly cautioned against it.  Thor needs to return to school. 

@Aubie the Tiger You are missing the family element in your summary. They are pushing him to go.

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@Aubie the Tiger You are missing the family element in your summary. They are pushing him to go.

If they really need a dollar now over ten dollars later, then I can see it.

No problem at all with a guy doing what he needs to do to take care of family. As far as his stock though, if he’s playing professional basketball next season it’s overseas or G league. Absolutely not making an NBA roster right now. 

19 hours ago, ellitor said:

Do you or what you are reading think this may a Christian Tutt situation where bad sources will tell him to declare when he isn't ready yet?  If Thor is ready, I want him to go pro, despite what we could be as a team with him next year.  I just don't want him to bounce around the G-League for a little and fizzle out.  Maybe @cole256 could help me with the second half of this question too.

26 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Do you or what you are reading think this may a Christian Tutt situation where bad sources will tell him to declare when he isn't ready yet?  If Thor is ready, I want him to go pro, despite what we could be as a team with him next year.  I just don't want him to bounce around the G-League for a little and fizzle out.  Maybe @cole256 could help me with the second half of this question too.

@abw0004 I'm not going to call JT's or any family as bad sources. Tutt got an agent around the Iron Bowl so he can't come back. Basketball players can get agents & come back as long as they drop the agent before coming back & before the draft deadline.

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@abw0004 I'm not going to call JT's or any family as bad sources. Tutt got an agent around the Iron Bowl so he can't come back. Basketball players can get agents & come back as long as they drop the agent before coming back & before the draft deadline.

I meant more along the lines of he took bad advice to turn pro from the wrong people.  That he did this prematurely.

20 hours ago, ellitor said:

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I meant more along the lines of he took bad advice to turn pro from the wrong people.  That he did this prematurely.

@abw0004As has been said or implied numerous times Bruce pushes our players to go through the eval process, especially in a case like this where in recruiting JT, Bruce's pitch was he felt he could have JT NBA ready by year 2 at AU. Since players can go through the draft process 2 times there's nothing wrong with going & getting evaluated a year ahead of that schedule. Have not seen what people outside of Bruce or his family are telling him.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Aubie the Tiger said:

Big men have dropped but not to a point where they aren't drafted. The Lakers are scrambling right now because they didn't realize how important Howard and McGhee were. 

And it's not just any SF playing these multiple positions it's a very specific type of player and it just so happens that Thor has the potential to be that guy so he's going to be viewed much much different than alot of guys. He's going to have a bunch of people attention. All it takes it's him having a good work outat the right time.

5 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I think he's testing this out because he doesn't have anything to lose and I think he's finding out he's alot closer than he thought. And everybody has those days where they get hot and it's just their day.....if he has one of those days at the right time he'll make himself 10 million easy.

• Like 1

Be it anybody like Thor or Cooper where there are differing opinions if they should go or not since you get two tries it doesn't hurt to go. Then if you show out your stock rises and you could get big money if you have a bad day the analyses will tell you what you need to work on then next year or year after if you think you have improved enough you try again.

• Like 1

If Thor plans to return if he has a poor scouting report, would he have time to take some classes and improve a GPA that might not be stellar this semester?   If he has a poor spring grade wise he may need summer and fall to regain NCAA eligibility on the academic side if he decides to stay another year.  Something to think about.