J.T Thor declares for the Draft (with option to return)

tgrogan21

3 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

Not concrete just a hunch.

I think GPA concerns are something that would’ve definitely broke with grade changing fiasco from a month ago. Wouldn’t consider that a concern 

We're getting dangerously close to not returning any starting players, when this year we didn't return any starting players.

On 3/25/2021 at 1:37 PM, ellitor said:

FWIW Hooks is heavily implying that Thor will likely go all the way through & stay in the draft.

Good luck if that’s the case. Another year could cement some first round money IMO.

I know that the goal is to win titles with these elite players, but that said, do situations like this enable/sustain/make easier the high level of recruiting that Bruce has been doing?

I don't know how much different the dynamics are with hoops. I just know they're different.

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I know that the goal is to win titles with these elite players, but that said, do situations like this enable/sustain/make easier the high level of recruiting that Bruce has been doing?

I don't know how much different the dynamics are with hoops. I just know they're different.

I think Pearl is just a high level successful recruiter. That's where it starts. And he has figured out, successfully he can get many of these elite players out of Ga, like Okeke, Okoro, Sharife, and Thor. 

Those in GA see it first hand, and see thru AAU, and being recruited by Pearl that he can win big, AND get them to the NBA..

Even the ones he recruited that aren't top level recruits coming out of HS such as Harper, Brown, and company have improved enough under Pearl to at least make it in the G-League, w some stops on the NBA teams too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

I think Pearl is just a high level successful recruiter. That's where it starts. And he has figured out, successfully he can get many of these elite players out of Ga, like Okeke, Okoro, Sharife, and Thor. 

Those in GA see it first hand, and see thru AAU, and being recruited by Pearl that he can win big, AND get them to the NBA..

Even the ones he recruited that aren't top level recruits coming out of HS such as Harper, Brown, and company have improved enough under Pearl to at least make it in the G-League, w some stops on the NBA teams too.

I’m partial to the players that make it to the G League but stay long enough to mature and develop chemistry. If this is all we see of Thor, I’d rather get players just below those guys that head to the NBA after one year while being spotty contributors showing flashes of what they are capable of.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, steeleagle said:

But, but , but we’re Under Armour. We can’t recruit against alll these Nike teams!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

I’m partial to the players that make it to the G League but stay long enough to mature and develop chemistry. If this is all we see of Thor, I’d rather get players just below those guys that head to the NBA after one year while being spotty contributors showing flashes of what they are capable of.

That's a fine line and hard to recruit from if you are a coach trying to build the best possible team.

I guess if you recruit guys like Harper and Brown who were 3*s and build your team over the next 2-3 years when they become top level college basketball players. And you get to keep them 3-4 years too.

The key is maybe to not sign so many 5^ players that could be 1 and done, or even worse you recruit them, they commit and then go to the G league.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

That's a fine line and hard to recruit from if you are a coach trying to build the best possible team.

I guess if you recruit guys like Harper and Brown who were 3*s and build your team over the next 2-3 years when they become top level college basketball players. And you get to keep them 3-4 years too.

The key is maybe to not sign so many 5^ players that could be 1 and done, or even worse you recruit them, they commit and then go to the G league.

Harper was not a 3 star. He was a top 100 player in the composite. NOW BRYCE BROWN ON THE OTHER HAND?!??!?! Not even ranked in the top 350. Had no other power 5 offers besides AU. Honestly one of the best development jobs by a coaching staff in a major Auburn sport all time. From no other power 5 offers to being the SEC second all time leading 3 point shooter? O and who is first?! JUST ANOTHER Bruuuuuuuuuce player. Chris Lofton from Tennessee. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Jared-Harper-75346/high-school-137907/

https://247sports.com/Player/Bryce-Brown-27908/high-school-46045/

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Harper was a solid and talented 4* but probably because of his size did not have many big offers. Bruce knew he could help him become a star.  Even he may have been surprised with BB's development.

19 hours ago, AUGoo said:

But, but , but we’re Under Armour. We can’t recruit against alll these Nike teams!

Hey Barbee, I guess you don't have anything to do at UK after they stunk up the gym this season?

• Haha 1

On 3/27/2021 at 9:57 AM, jj3jordan said:

If Thor plans to return if he has a poor scouting report, would he have time to take some classes and improve a GPA that might not be stellar this semester?   If he has a poor spring grade wise he may need summer and fall to regain NCAA eligibility on the academic side if he decides to stay another year.  Something to think about.

@jj3jordan1345163042 What is making you ask about his grades? Those are some odd questions unless you have some kind of intl to go with it. I haven't seen any talk of him having grade issues.

On 3/31/2021 at 10:45 PM, Dunndone414 said:

Bruce met with Noah Gurley from Furman today, per Jake Weingarten. This suggests to me that we expect to lose JT or JWill. A senior with Gurley’s interest from high majors isn’t transferring to play Javon’s minutes. 

@Dunndone414 Not necessarily. The word is the staff plans to take only 1 of Kessler or Gurley even if Thor leaves.

FWIW a couple insiders on the Bunker thinks things are now trending for Thor to return to AU.

• Like 5
  • Love 4

22 minutes ago, ellitor said:

FWIW a couple insiders on the Bunker thinks things are now trending for Thor to return to AU.

And if Thor returns, is there a spot still open for Kessler? I know they have the scholarships I think, as this would put them at 13, even we got Scoot and Kessler...

55 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

And if Thor returns, is there a spot still open for Kessler?

@steeleagle Yes. The staff wanted a big whether Thor returned or not.

59 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

this would put them at 13, even we got Scoot and Kessler...

And a 2 Guard like Desi Sills. Room will be made for whatever is needed.

47 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yea I don’t think we will be in the conversation for youngest team in country next year. Nice to get some experienced transfers to go along with the younger guys. Of course our latest pickup is still young lol

5 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

IMO, Kessler not needed if you get Thor. Same value to the team next season I think. Thor may actually be better. 

Offensively but defensively a big difference that is much needed

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

The 2 seems like our biggest weakness for the time being.

I had like 2 paragraphs that ended up sounding like I was pooping on Walker to big up JT, so I'm going to delete that

Here's my POV: Walker isn't very mobile on defense. Not a great rim protector from what I see, but in a system where Thor is positionally good on the perimeter, can excel at the rover role, and his length makes it a bother to pass into the post when he's sitting in the mid range, Walker's job becomes incredibly easier and simpler. 

Just to throw out a set I'd think a coach would ideally like to run vs this roster (if they get Walker), PnR 1-5, the opposing guard would expect our 7 footer to be in drop coverage and would almost certainly be defended by an undersized matchup. So, shoot over him, blow by him and get either a floater or maybe draw a foul against Walker, or in rare occurences, get ripped from behind or blocked

The blessing of Jabari and JT on either side (I'm thinking top of the key PnR, I suppose they could isolate to one side but the same principle could be in effect here), is that their arms are long enough to actually bother the vision and handle of the ball handler, and help off their man completely in some cases, bc they know they can still get a good shot contest.

Minutes wise, who knows, but Walker should (I might be projecting) think that JT returning actually helps his job and will help hide some of his weaknesses.

9 hours ago, cole256 said:

Offensively but defensively a big difference that is much needed

Interesting. I’ve seen a number of people say Kessler is a bit slow defensively it will be a bit of a liability on that end.

7 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

The 2 seems like our biggest weakness for the time being.

@Dunndone414 it is depth wise. We have Trey Alexander who has all the potential in the world and then Zep Jasper who will likely play the two when he’s in the game at the same time as Wendell Green. The staff wants to keep playing Flan at the three full-time. I think we need to add another guard on roster to be able to do that.