J.T Thor declares for the Draft (with option to return)

tgrogan21

If I recall, Kessler is a very capable 3 point shooter. How many times did we see Cardwell out there, but defense stayed in paint packing the zone.  Having a threat at 3 with the big will open up the cut lanes for the wings.  

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

If I recall, Kessler is a very capable 3 point shooter. How many times did we see Cardwell out there, but defense stayed in paint packing the zone.  Having a threat at 3 with the big will open up the cut lanes for the wings.  

Don't you besmirch the name of our 100% 3 point shooter.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Don't you besmirch the name of our 100% 3 point shooter.

That should have happened earlier in season and maybe he would have gotten more respect by Defense lol.  What a great moment that was. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Pros and cons to either. If we have a good enough playmaker, Cardwell will be able to force help D via the PnR and his athleticism, and that can also make the wings’s job easier 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Pros and cons to either. If we have a good enough playmaker, Cardwell will be able to force help D via the PnR and his athleticism, and that can also make the wings’s job easier 

Agreed. Any time a player can command help, it can only benefit someone else. Curious who we end up with. 

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Agreed. Any time a player can command help, it can only benefit someone else. Curious who we end up with. 

We gave Kessler every opportunity and seems like we lost out on Gurley the second other teams started pushing hard, it is what is with those two. However, I haven’t heard any other center potentials named, so that is a bit scary 

I think this is going to be another offseason some Auburn fans consider disappointing due to how many names were thrown out there that we were early on, and I hate that we’ll have to hear that griping for the rest of the offseason

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

He really needs to come back to AU. One more season and then try the league route again. This just seems like it’s kinda forced and not gonna go like he hopes. JMO. 

Gotta remember that he came out of high school a year early and I think he’ll be a different player for AU in year two. Stronger and more confidence with a year under his belt. Another year will get him in the first round imho!

• Like 2

Doesn't really make sense for him to leave unless there are circumstances we are not aware of.

10 minutes ago, fishepa said:

Doesn't really make sense for him to leave unless there are circumstances we are not aware of.

Money, and all I keep hearing is his family has financial problems. Don't know if anyone can substantiate them. 

From what I understand he has not signed an agent  so he can come back. To me that means he is not 100% sure he is going pro. If he shows out at the trials his stock improves and he goes higher then expected if he is average or has a bad showing his stock stays the same or goes down. I think how he plays there will go a long way in determining if he comes back.  Like others I don't know if there are other reasons he feels he must go now.

So when will we know either way on Scoop reclassifying and Thor’s decision? Probable dates? Anyone know?

8 hours ago, roe4christ said:

So when will we know either way on Scoop reclassifying and Thor’s decision? Probable dates? Anyone know?

As far as Thor, May 30th or 31st is the deadline to have to pull out of the draft. So by then we will know. With a reclassify, I don’t suppose there is a hard deadline other than academic related.  Bruce may need to know by a certain date before needing to move on this year. 

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

As far as Thor, May 30th or 31st is the deadline to have to pull out of the draft. So by then we will know. With a reclassify, I don’t suppose there is a hard deadline other than academic related.  Bruce may need to know by a certain date before needing to move on this year. 

No, it's Monday, July 19th at 5 PM Eastern time.
https://www.nba.com/news/2021-nba-draft-process-dates-official-release

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

No, it's Monday, July 19th at 5 PM Eastern time.
https://www.nba.com/news/2021-nba-draft-process-dates-official-release

Oh OK,  in the past it seemed like end of May.  My mistake. 

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any more info on JT right now? I'm rather curious if a spot will be held for him until he finalizes his decision about whether to test the draft or come back for another season.

If I had to speculate, I'd say we probably do, but maintain a couple of potential transfers in case he doesn't come back. I just wonder how much of a dropoff there might be between a guy we could get now, were the spot considered free, and a guy who would be willing to string his decision out until July (or whenever JT actually makes his decision, which I presume could be before the cutoff date) waiting on a possible spot with us.

Obviously, I want him to come back unless he gets a team to tell him they're going to pick him in the first round, because I think that would serve him best in the long run, but this kid has a family to support, so if he stays in and doesn't make the first round, I'll be upset for him, but I completely understand his position. 

6 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Is there any more info on JT right now? I'm rather curious if a spot will be held for him until he finalizes his decision about whether to test the draft or come back for another season.

If I had to speculate, I'd say we probably do, but maintain a couple of potential transfers in case he doesn't come back. I just wonder how much of a dropoff there might be between a guy we could get now, were the spot considered free, and a guy who would be willing to string his decision out until July (or whenever JT actually makes his decision, which I presume could be before the cutoff date) waiting on a possible spot with us.

Obviously, I want him to come back unless he gets a team to tell him they're going to pick him in the first round, because I think that would serve him best in the long run, but this kid has a family to support, so if he stays in and doesn't make the first round, I'll be upset for him, but I completely understand his position. 

He's not coming back. Won't be a first round pick. Should be picked in the second. I think it's a mistake. I think he would be a lottery pick with a good college season next year. But it's pretty clear he was hell bent on being one and done come hell or high water.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

He's not coming back. Won't be a first round pick. Should be picked in the second. I think it's a mistake. I think he would be a lottery pick with a good college season next year. But it's pretty clear he was hell bent on being one and done come hell or high water.

Well, I wish him the absolute best. You're absolutely right that he could easily play himself into the lottery if he were to come back for another year, but the way it sounds to me is that his family is dirt poor (by world standards, not by US standards) and they are in dire need of support.

So, that being the case, are we only looking at taking one more point guard, or are we looking for someone for the second spot as well in anticipation of not losing a scholarship when the NCAA rules? And if we are looking at taking another player besides the PG, what position are we looking for? I mean, with one more quality PG/CG, we're pretty stacked across the board even if we do have a scholarship taken away.

I do think it's ideal to always have at least three guys on the team capable of being the primary ball handler, so that even if one gets hurt or something, you have two guys to share the minutes in that role. And, it seems, that's the direction we're going in, which makes me happy.

2 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Well, I wish him the absolute best. You're absolutely right that he could easily play himself into the lottery if he were to come back for another year, but the way it sounds to me is that his family is dirt poor (by world standards, not by US standards) and they are in dire need of support.

So, that being the case, are we only looking at taking one more point guard, or are we looking for someone for the second spot as well in anticipation of not losing a scholarship when the NCAA rules? And if we are looking at taking another player besides the PG, what position are we looking for? I mean, with one more quality PG/CG, we're pretty stacked across the board even if we do have a scholarship taken away.

I do think it's ideal to always have at least three guys on the team capable of being the primary ball handler, so that even if one gets hurt or something, you have two guys to share the minutes in that role. And, it seems, that's the direction we're going in, which makes me happy.

I guess we should of all seen this coming. He re classified for a reason and that was obviously to be in the position to turn pro this season. I hate to hear that about his family. I did not know that. Makes a lot more sense now. He is a really good player with unlimited potential and UBER upside. He can easily be a good pro in a couple of years working with the NBA developmental coaches that franchises has on staff.

Scoot is the number 1 option obviously. He is the franchise type of player this staff is going all in on for him to re classify and pair him up with Bari for next season. The other spot? We desperately need another true SG. We have Desi and that is about it. The others are combo guards like Jasper or a guy who should really be Flanigan's back up 3 and not in the 2 guard rotation in Cambridge. Trey was a huge loss because we had a perfect 2 deep rotation on paper at every position. It would of been PG: Wendell/ Jasper, SG: Trey/Desi, SF: Allen/ Cambridge, PF: Bari/ J Will and C : Kessler/ Cardwell. Trey leaving really messed that up and if we do not get another 2 guard Cambridge most likely will have to play a lot of 2 and he is a lot better at the 3. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I guess we should of all seen this coming. He re classified for a reason and that was obviously to be in the position to turn pro this season. I hate to hear that about his family. I did not know that. Makes a lot more sense now.

Let me be clear, I do not KNOW that is what is going on, but some things I've seen mentioned about his family seem to indicate that's what the deal is.

6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Scoot is the number 1 option obviously. He is the franchise type of player this staff is going all in on for him to re classify and pair him up with Bari for next season. The other spot? We desperately need another true SG. We have Desi and that is about it. The others are combo guards like Jasper or a guy who should really be Flanigan's back up 3 and not in the 2 guard rotation in Cambridge. Trey was a huge loss because we had a perfect 2 deep rotation on paper at every position. It would of been PG: Wendell/ Jasper, SG: Trey/Desi, SF: Allen/ Cambridge, PF: Bari/ J Will and C : Kessler/ Cardwell. Trey leaving really messed that up and if we do not get another 2 guard Cambridge most likely will have to play a lot of 2 and he is a lot better at the 3. 

If we're able to land Scoot (or another quality PG, even if he obviously won't be on the same level), how much would we still need a 2? I mean, that leaves Sills and Jasper at the 2; I mean, I presume Zep is competent enough to run the 2 as a backup. I definitely would see it as advantageous to have another guard, particularly a sniper from long range, I just hope that if we do add both a 1 and a 2 to the current roster, all the guards are comfortable sharing the minutes.

10 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

The latest BR mock draft this week has him getting close to the first round, at #38. That’s the highest I’ve seen him yet. Sharife down to #27.

• Like 1