J.T Thor declares for the Draft (with option to return)

tgrogan21

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I guess we should of all seen this coming. He re classified for a reason and that was obviously to be in the position to turn pro this season. I hate to hear that about his family. I did not know that. Makes a lot more sense now. He is a really good player with unlimited potential and UBER upside. He can easily be a good pro in a couple of years working with the NBA developmental coaches that franchises has on staff.

Scoot is the number 1 option obviously. He is the franchise type of player this staff is going all in on for him to re classify and pair him up with Bari for next season. The other spot? We desperately need another true SG. We have Desi and that is about it. The others are combo guards like Jasper or a guy who should really be Flanigan's back up 3 and not in the 2 guard rotation in Cambridge. Trey was a huge loss because we had a perfect 2 deep rotation on paper at every position. It would of been PG: Wendell/ Jasper, SG: Trey/Desi, SF: Allen/ Cambridge, PF: Bari/ J Will and C : Kessler/ Cardwell. Trey leaving really messed that up and if we do not get another 2 guard Cambridge most likely will have to play a lot of 2 and he is a lot better at the 3. 

If they can score that's the only thing that separates the position really. There's not a big difference between a 2 and 3 and anybody that's good at 3 can give you good minutes at 2. Flannigan can easily play either or. Having the size to play 3 is more of an issue than skill to play 2

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

JT Thor signs with agency, won't return to Auburn

ByNATHAN KING 19 minutes ago

Auburn power forward JT Thor is turning pro.

Thor announced Saturday on Instagram he's signing with Next Level Sports and Management. He is also partnered with Verus Basketball, an agency that has former Auburn point guard Jared Harper on its talent roster.

According to an NCAA rule change in 2019, draft prospects can sign with an agent and still maintain college eligibility if they terminate all agreements with that agency after going undrafted. Multiple sources have told Auburn Undercover, however, that Thor does not plan on returning to Auburn and has had his sights set on the pros since he declared for the draft in March.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

36 minutes ago, Paladin said:

JT Thor signs with agency, won't return to Auburn

By NATHAN KING 19 minutes ago

Auburn has some decent bench bigs, so this may not end up being a huge blow, but I'm really disappointed.  He was a guy I wanted to watch more at Auburn.

I still think he's making it harder on himself to make the NBA.  He's going to be a journeyman in low level leagues, hoping to get noticed.  I previously predicted that reality would steer him to come back to Auburn, and I was wrong.  I hope he proves me wrong again and kills it.

• Like 1

At least we know now.  Good luck big man

16 hours ago, Paladin said:

Love BP’s and the program’s very public support for JT and the other guys that have moved on. I think that this has to resonate on some level with players and recruits

• Like 4

3 hours ago, fredst said:

Love BP’s and the program’s very public support for JT and the other guys that have moved on. I think that this has to resonate on some level with players and recruits

Agreed completely. Bruce has always been one to push kids to go pro when they're ready, rather than trying to hang on to them an extra year. I don't know that JT is ready, but it's nice to see Pearl promoting his players like this. If it doesn't speak volumes to recruits, I don't know what will.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This seems like a mistake waiting to happen but I’m really hoping not. Hopefully he’s getting his advice from the best sources available and has a great plan in place. Absolutely pulling for the kid regardless of what happens with basketball. 

On 6/5/2021 at 1:09 PM, Aubie the Tiger said:

I previously predicted that reality would steer him to come back to Auburn

It's a nice thought, but reality is seldom a factor in young people's lives. Hope he is successful in the end though.

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2944228-2021-nba-mock-draft-lottory-simulation-lands-cleveland-cavaliers-no-1-pick.amp.html

Got him going to the Rockets in the late first, Cooper to the Clippers shortly after

That wouldn't make me mad at all. Would put both of them with contenders...and guaranteed contracts.

4 hours ago, Rednilla said:

That wouldn't make me mad at all. Would put both of them with contenders...and guaranteed contracts.

Rockets... contenders...? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AuburnArch13 said:

Rockets... contenders...? 

Oh, I know nothing of the NBA except that Isaac Okoro played more minutes than any rookie and Lebron lost in round 1 of the playoffs. I just assumed that since they were picking later in the draft, they were teams who had better records. :gofig:

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Oh, I know nothing of the NBA except that Isaac Okoro played more minutes than any rookie and Lebron lost in round 1 of the playoffs. I just assumed that since they were picking later in the draft, they were teams who had better records. :gofig:

Ha, fair enough. But no, the Rockets had the worst record in Basketball this year, but do have some late picks as well via trades.

• Like 1

Awesome hearing that Thor may have worked his way into late first or early second round pick. He'll be successful in the NBA if he continues to work hard and grow his game. It may take him a couple years to get going because he is so young but if he can find a role and get on a good team that develops him then i fully believe he can be an all-star level player. That smooth shot along with his body type is a lethal combo

New mock draft has Auburn's JT Thor taken ahead of Sharife Cooper

ByNATHAN KING 19 hours ago

JT Thor made his professional basketball intentions clearer over the weekend when he signed with an agency and officially ruled out a return to Auburn for his sophomore season. And in the days that followed, Thor's name picked up plenty of buzz in NBA draft and scouting circles.

Thor, a 6-foot-10 power forward, is the second NBA draft departure from Auburn's team last season, after star point guard Sharife Cooper. A freshman sensation though he played only 12 games, Cooper has been widely regarded as a first-round prospect for months, whereas Thor's stock has been more often viewed in the mid-to-late second-round range.

Some NBA draft experts and scouts, however, think that, due to Thor's raw skill set and high ceiling, that he could join Cooper in the first round, which would add to Auburn's run of NBA draft success that was already unparalleled by anything the program had accomplished before.

In a mock draft earlier this week by Jonathan Wasserman, formerly of NBADraft.net and currently at Bleacher Report, Thor was projected ahead of Cooper in the first round. Wasserman has the big man headed to the Houston Rockets with the No. 23 pick, and Cooper not far behind him at No. 25 to the Los Angeles Clippers.

"Thor is staying in the draft, and there has been conversation from scouts and agents about him rising into the first round," Wasserman said. "The 6-foot-10 forward has a smooth lefty shooting stroke, while flashes of a pull-up game and fluid driving ability hint at more scoring potential to unlock long term."

After reclassifying from the 2021 class to 2020, Thor started all 27 games for the Tigers, averaging 9.4 points, 5.0 rebounds and 1.5 blocks while playing 23 minutes a night.

Throughout the season, Thor flashed a pro's skill set on both ends of the floor, enough for Bruce Pearl to crown him a future NBA talent.

"He’s one of my best pro prospects — NBA prospect — because he has the ability to elevate his game," Pearl said in February. "He’s got the ability. It tells you he’s got the confidence, he’s got the poise. He’s so coachable, so accountable. ... He’s got that next-level stuff."

ESPN currently has Thor rated as the No. 65 prospect for the upcoming draft and the No. 15 power forward.

Cooper checks in at No. 20 overall as the No. 3 point guard behind former Auburn player Davion Mitchell, who won a national title a few months ago at Baylor, and Florida's Tre Mann.

A former five-star prospect, Cooper didn't play until Jan. 9 due to eligibility concerns over undisclosed matters. He immediately became one of the best freshmen in the nation, scoring at least 25 points in five of his 12 games. Cooper had an assists percentage of 51.9%, good for the best in the SEC.

*** Subscribe to Auburn Undercover for the latest news and intel, podcasts, recruiting coverage and more ***

*** Get Auburn news straight to your inbox with the Auburn Undercover newsletter ***

28COMMENTS

Auburn has never had two first-rounders in the same draft. The last time multiple Auburn players went in the same draft was in 2000, when Mamadou N'Diaye went No. 26 overall to the Nuggets, and Chris Porter went in the second round to the Warriors.

In Chuma Okeke (No. 16 to Orlando in 2019) and Isaac Okoro (No. 5 to Cleveland in 2020), Pearl has produced consecutive first-round draft choices for the first time in Auburn history, and that streak isn't likely to end soon. After Cooper and Thor, incoming freshman Jabari Smith, the highest-rated recruit ever to sign with Auburn, is already being projected as a top-10 pick for 2022.

15 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Kessler has an outside chance at showing he can be a baller

Oh, I think it's more than an outside chance. I'm kind of expecting him to end up as a first rounder, whether it's next year or the year after.

39 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Oh, I think it's more than an outside chance. I'm kind of expecting him to end up as a first rounder, whether it's next year or the year after.

As far as NEXT YEAR, I don’t think it’s a particularly high chance

On 6/13/2021 at 3:12 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

The market as far as floor spacing 5s is starting to hit a saturation point 

From what I understand Kessler also has an inside game and is a legit rim defender. If true he could be a first rounder. The more things a player is good at the more valuable the player is.  All this is conjecture based on last few games at Carolina.

Now Flanigan with people around him who can open up the floor should be able to showcase his skills even more which could lead him to late 1st round or early 2nd round with Jabari having potential to go early 1st round.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

From what I understand Kessler also has an inside game and is a legit rim defender. If true he could be a first rounder. The more things a player is good at the more valuable the player is.  All this is conjecture based on last few games at Carolina.

Now Flanigan with people around him who can open up the floor should be able to showcase his skills even more which could lead him to late 1st round or early 2nd round with Jabari having potential to go early 1st round.

Yeah, if things work ideally for Kessler, he can be a first round pick. What you guys have to understand is that he’s on the bubble to me, bc he’s shown the least amount out of the 3 guys up for a (real) possibility. Jabari showed enough on the level he just came from and Flan was a projected first round guy for this draft last winter bc of the tape he was giving 

Walker, obv different situation, but he was being mocked in this same range of Cooper as being an out of lottery one and done, this time last year. And that couldn’t factor in how many strides college kids made. If Kessler showed the best version of himself for 15 games or however many Cooper did, would’ve probably still been around the lottery or just getting into it, but you just never know 

All that to say, he should be a first round pick, but I don’t consider it as absolute for this NEXT draft as the two guys who are already getting love there 

• Like 1