2023 Early Offers & Talk

toddc

5* for y’all asking for higher rated recruits to get offered!

Edited by toddc

On 3/23/2021 at 7:50 PM, Paladin said:

Dude goes to the same school that Carl Lawson went to. We need to be all over this!

• Like 1

Top 2023 DBs impress at RCS, have high interest in Auburn

Jeffrey Lee • AuburnSports

Senior Editor

@JLeeAURivals

Ad - Walmart

Ethan Nation and AJ Harris are two of the top defensive backs in the 2023 class.

They proved it last weekend.

Nation, from Roswell, Ga., and Harris, from Glenwood in Phenix City, Ala., were two of the top performers at the Rivals Camp Series in Suwanee, Ga. 

Harris was named the DB MVP of the camp and earned an invite to the Rivals 5-Star Challenge. Nation was a standout and also earned an invite to the 5-Star Challenge.

Ethan Nation (left) and AJ Harris already have several Power-5 offers. (Eric Nation/@EricNation15)

Auburn has taken notice. The Tigers have offered both and made the two high priorities in the ’23 class.

Nation and Harris talked about their relationships with Auburn cornerbacks coach Zac Etheridge, their thoughts on their recent visit as well as their interest in Auburn.

ETHAN

NATION

UNDECIDED

6'0" | 165 LBS | CB | 2023

ROSWELL

ROSWELL, GA

“I talk to Coach Etheridge a lot. He’s a nice guy, a great guy and a great coach. He has experience playing in the big games, so he knows what to do. He gives me great coaching advice on and off the field.

“I went to the spring game. I loved it. I loved the energy and how the DBs played. I like how the team competed and I loved the fan base. 

“I’m 100 percent looking hard at Auburn.”

AJ

HARRIS

UNDECIDED

6'1" | 185 LBS | CB | 2023

GLENWOOD

PHENIX CITY, AL

“I’ve been talking to Coach Etheridge and it’s definitely nothing but good vibes coming from him. I’ve been picking up little nuggets from him because he’s played college football. When I talk to him I listen and try to get something out of it every time.

“My visit to Auburn was fun. I definitely had fun. I love the atmosphere that the fans brought. The fans were very engaged in the game. I definitely loved that visit.

“I’ll most definitely be back. I hope to visit again this summer, maybe early June.”

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Auburn football: Derek Mason clinches campus visit from dual-threat 2023 QB

by Andrew Hughes18 hours agoFollow @ARJHughes

TWEET

COMMENT

Auburn football defensive coordinator Derek Mason has worn many hats in his professional coaching career. Before signing on to serve as the first DC of the Bryan Harsin era, Mason rose up the ranks at Stanford from DB coach to co-assistant defensive coordinator before finally earning the DC position all to himself.

Then, he was the leading voice of the Vanderbilt football locker room in a six-year head coaching stint that ended abruptly last season after an 0-8 start.

Mason finally seems in the best place to win at the highest level. The Cardinal were conference champions of the Pac-12 while he had DC duties, but in the SEC, a conference championship means an appearance in the College Football Playoff and a chance to be the National Champion of the Division I FBS.

Mason has taken the responsibility with stride, as he has been vocal so far as one of Harsin’s support staff leaders and has even added an extra hat to his collection: quarterback recruiter.

Despite being tasked with finding the best fits for the defensive side of the ball, it seems that Mason has left an impression on a bright young dual-threat quarterbacking stud from the Sunshine State in Ahmad “The Problem” Haston:

June 10th is the working date for Haston’s visit, and if there is a match between the six-foot-two prospect and the Auburn football program, the Tigers could have a nice three-year swing of promising prospects under-center with Dematrius Davis in 2021, Holden Geriner in 2022, and Haston in 2023.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, toddc said:

ETHAN

NATION

UNDECIDED

6'0" | 165 LBS | CB | 2023

AJ

HARRIS

UNDECIDED

6'1" | 185 LBS | CB | 2023

GLENWOOD

So one of these kids is supposed to be 1 inch taller than the other??????

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Really enjoying the 2023 recruiting.  Seems its the heaviest we've gone after a future class.

We have a curve to overcome and it will take probably a full cycle since this staff is 'behind'.

Maybe we can get a little lucky this cycle.  Hopefully. 

5 minutes ago, Beaker said:

We have a curve to overcome and it will take probably a full cycle since this staff is 'behind'.

Maybe we can get a little lucky this cycle.  Hopefully. 

I don't fully agree.  the last time any player met a coach face to face would have been the summer or fall of their Sophomore year.  That means only elite kids met a coach.  So, in a way with Covid, we're on the same plane as a lot of teams.  June 1st everyone is going to hit it hard.  Hopefully we get some traction.  

On 4/29/2021 at 12:00 PM, W.E.D said:

I don't fully agree.  the last time any player met a coach face to face would have been the summer or fall of their Sophomore year.  That means only elite kids met a coach.  So, in a way with Covid, we're on the same plane as a lot of teams.  June 1st everyone is going to hit it hard.  Hopefully we get some traction.  

Man I hope you are right...I just think with ZOOM and all the contacts that those other staffs made, I am just feeling we are behind.  

Looks like our staff is still casting a wide net (OL from VA being offered).   Gonna take those kinds of tactics to get back to a near-level playing field.   The draft speaks volumes about where our talent level is...

20 minutes ago, toddc said:

Hmmmmm.

I wonder if we have any chance at all with this 'tiger'.   Doubt it.

Edited by Beaker

30 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Hmmmmm.

I wonder if we have any chance at all with this 'tiger'.   Doubt it.

His dad works as an exec. in the AD at LSU

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Maybe he'll want to get away from home?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tsande07 said:

I hope so

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tsande07 said:

If the NCAA ever decides to do their job, the LSU AD will be on fire. Between Wade paying players in basketball and the Guice situation with Orgeron, they should be facing tough times. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

If the NCAA ever decides to do their job, the LSU AD will be on fire. Between Wade paying players in basketball and the Guice situation with Orgeron, they should be facing tough times. 

Key word should

• Like 2

15 hours ago, bigbird said:

yeah I saw that too - unless he wants to go be his own man, he ain't coming to Auburn

19 hours ago, tsande07 said:

They'll pay him more than we will, but hopefully our offers are competitive