Baseball vs Kentucky Series

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frustrating that UK scores a run early in the game when Ware slipped in the outfield on a routine fly ball. If the catch is made Which would have been third out, Auburn wins with the rally in bottom of ninth. 

2 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Dang it! Bliss grounds out to end the game. We have to figure out relief pitching or this is going to be a LONG year.

The problem is injuries. Not much anyone can do about that. Greenhill is still not 100% and Jack Owen is on limited use apparently. He may pitch a little this weekend in an effort to get acclimated again but he's going to need a minute. I'm not sure about the status of the other pitchers' injuries. 

It's just very unfortunate.

I feel so bad for the team losing these close games after fighting back. But it's baseball.Something will turn and they'll get it going. Williams and Howell got good hits tonight so maybe that's a good sign.

6 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

The problem is injuries. Not much anyone can do about that. Greenhill is still not 100% and Jack Owen is on limited use apparently. He may pitch a little this weekend in an effort to get acclimated again but he's going to need a minute. I'm not sure about the status of the other pitchers' injuries. 

I feel so bad for the team losing these close games after fighting back. But it's baseball.Something will turn and they'll get it going. Williams and Howell got good hits tonight so maybe that's a good sign.

I understand the injuries (this the AU curse or other teams hurting as bad?!) but we had plenty of chances tonight and didn’t get it done, period.  If you can get to 0-2 count, you’re doing pretty good but then we seem to go into a funk.  How many 2 strike hits did we give up tonight?  I can only imagine how they feel after these last 4 games. But in baseball, always a new day....

9 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

I'm hoping we can get some of those players back but Fuller, Fitts, Glavine, and Bright have all regressed. I also don't know if Burkhalter, Swilling, and Mullins are injured but they would the first out of the bullpen for me and especially in a close game.

The only shining lights out of this season so far is out of our 9 losses, 5 of them have been 2 runs or less and Greenhill and Barnett have been way better than I expected as our first 2 starters. Just need to turn that corner now and start winning some of these close games.

1 minute ago, TigerPAC said:

I understand the injuries (this the AU curse or other teams hurting as bad?!) but we had plenty of chances tonight and didn’t get it done, period.  If you can get to 0-2 count, you’re doing pretty good but then we seem to go into a funk.  How many 2 strike hits did we give up tonight?  I can only imagine how they feel after these last 4 games. But in baseball, always a new day....

The pitchers you saw tonight are either the kids who would play on Tuesday night.....or in the case of Fitts and Greenhill....they are the walking wounded working their way back in. Fitts was very rusty, and Greenhill got taken out by the weather delay. Trace Bright is very young and he's getting eaten alive by his lack of SEC experience. He really was meant to be a Tues. night starter this year. 

1 minute ago, Tigerbelle said:

The pitchers you saw tonight are either the kids who would play on Tuesday night.....or in the case of Fitts and Greenhill....they are the walking wounded working their way back in. Fitts was very rusty, and Greenhill got taken out by the weather delay. Trace Bright is very young and he's getting eaten alive by his lack of SEC experience. He really was meant to be a Tues. night starter this year. 

I totally understand what you replied but in a funny way that post sounds like ol’ gus describing AU football😜

4 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

I'm hoping we can get some of those players back but Fuller, Fitts, Glavine, and Bright have all regressed. I also don't know if Burkhalter, Swilling, and Mullins are injured but they would the first out of the bullpen for me and especially in a close game.

The only shining lights out of this season so far is out of our 9 losses, 5 of them have been 2 runs or less and Greenhill and Barnett have been way better than I expected as our first 2 starters. Just need to turn that corner now and start winning some of these close games.

Glavine and Fuller are what they are. Fuller gets really close to greatness and then he backslides. But he's actually making progress....it's just in very small steps. That's been his MO since he was a freshman. Glavine is mostly a pitcher used occasionally for an inning or two.  I think Swilling and Mullins are injured.....not sure about Burkhalter. IIRC none of the injuries seem to be serious.

Things will change when everybody gets healthy. 

16 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

I totally understand what you replied but in a funny way that post sounds like ol’ gus describing AU football😜

Auburn has had a really bad run of luck with pitchers in the last few years. That's the reality. Keegan Thompson, Davis Daniel (lost for an entire season minus maybe a couple of innings in the season opener), Tanner Burns....and on and on. It seems like the Friday night ace is always the guy who gets injured early. Richard Fitts had to become a weekend starter in his freshman season because we had no one else left.....(see Trace Bright's situation). It's like a rinse and repeat minus that side arm closer from Texas who was very effective until he had to come in too early in the game and pitch too often. 

Gus is gone. Don't get that crap going again....especially not here.

7 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

Just need to turn that corner now and start winning some of these close games.

So tough to win a series when you drop the Friday game. Hopefully turn the corner today.....

5 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

So tough to win a series when you drop the Friday game. Hopefully turn the corner today.....

I'm not sure why Butch took out Greenhill. The Ky pitcher went back out and shut us down for 2 more innings. Greenhill was only at 75 pitches, so why not 1 more inning? Was it his past injury? If so, he went 7 innings against Ole Miss on a very cold night...

We stretched Bright out a little too long it seemed after his good 2 innings of work. 

17 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I'm not sure why Butch took out Greenhill. The Ky pitcher went back out and shut us down for 2 more innings. Greenhill was only at 75 pitches, so why not 1 more inning? Was it his past injury? If so, he went 7 innings against Ole Miss on a very cold night...

We stretched Bright out a little too long it seemed after his good 2 innings of work. 

Greenhill is not 100% recovered from his foot injury. They are being careful with him. Auburn can't afford to have anymore pitchers out.

6 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Well.....it's a pretty shaky start for Barnette and my Auburn Tigers. Already in the hole 3-0.

I know it’s still early, and this team still has plenty of opportunities to turn things around, but I’ve been disappointed so far (injuries noted).   I expected this year’s team to be very good!  Hope they turn it around and get red hot at the perfect time!

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

Well.....it's a pretty shaky start for Barnette and my Auburn Tigers. Already in the hole 3-0.

Glad he settled down after that awful first inning. Now we just need some hits and runs!

• WarTiger changed the title to Baseball vs Kentucky Series

Howell with a 2 run homer to draw us closer! 5-4 UK in the bottom of the 6th. Judd Ward walks on 4 pitches and Williams is pinch hitting with 1 out. Perfect opportunity to get the first lead this weekend.

Williams strikes out, bu Shenker gets an infield single to 3rd. Runners on 1st and 2nd for LaRue. Need a base hit to tie it up here.

Wild pitch and both runners advance. LaRue walks and Ryan Bliss is up with 2 outs and the bases loaded. Need a clutch bat from one of our most consistent hitters.

4 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Sigh. Every single time we score, they come back the next half inning and score. :( Another homer for UK. 6-4 UK

Yep. This routine is getting ridiculous.

But right now, they can't seem to win the close ones. Take the game last night. down 4 in the bottom of the 9th they rally and are down 1 w/ only 1 out. This is when you take them out and win the game. But, as in the past we only get 1 more to tie, and force extra innings. And with our relief pitching, we were going to give up more runs. And we did but couldn't answer.

Similar situation here. Need that big blow, and don't come thru. 

Ward chases a pitch outside and strikes out on 3 straight pitches. Auburn has 7 walks but can't take advantage of them.

Edit: Jack Owen making his second appearance of the season in relief for Burkhalter.

Owen with his first strikeout of the season. Pop up for out 2. Ground out for out 3. 9 pitch inning. Very glad to have Owen come in and have a great inning after his last outing. Running out of time to get the lead in this game. 6 outs remaining.

Archived