Baseball vs Kentucky Series

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FUZZYAUFAN said:

Both softball and baseball now 0-6 to start SEC play. 

Softball is 0-5 with one game left in the Mizzou series. 

Butch indicated they needed to change up some things after the sweep by OM, but it didn't seem to help in the KY series. The same problems showed up: little clutch hitting and walking to many and giving up the lead late into games. 

I wonder if he will make more adjustments for the next series? I am sure getting some of their most consistent pitchers healthy is still ongoing.

0-6 stinks!!!   4 one run games and 1 extra innings.   Only one game that wasn’t a nail-biter.   The silver lining is that we’re close.   If things turn at the right time, this could still be a good team.   

Man, our big 3 sports this year has sucked balls - footballs, basketballs, and baseballs. Each sport made me look forward to the next, but they have all been bad - with two of the sports supposedly having excellent coaches. Guess I will look forward to summer now. No AU sports to stink that up for me at least.

On 3/28/2021 at 12:05 PM, steeleagle said:

Butch indicated they needed to change up some things after the sweep by OM, but it didn't seem to help in the KY series. The same problems showed up: little clutch hitting and walking to many and giving up the lead late into games. 

I wonder if he will make more adjustments for the next series? I am sure getting some of their most consistent pitchers healthy is still ongoing.

I think we will continue to see more changes until we win a game or find some combination that works. Sounds like Owen will start a game this weekend. Also sounds like we’re probably going to move Barnett to the bullpen if we can use him in one of the first two games to secure (or try to) a win. If that opportunity doesn’t present itself, Barnett might start Sunday. But the way Butch talked, he’d really like to have Barnett’s swing-and-Miss stuff in the back of the bullpen. 

Should be an interesting weekend in Fayetville. Jack Owen back on the hill. Greenhill one of the best starters in the league right now, and not even 100%. 

Auburn cannot afford a sweep in Fayetville. Will take a hurculean effort to make the tournament if that were to happen. If AU can somehow get 1, they've got to win 12 more games to get to that 13 win mark in the SEC. That would mean 12 - 9 over the last 7 weeks of the season. Luckily, the schedule, although still stout, does get easier than UM and Arkansas on the road. 

That's 5 series wins, and taking at least one game in each of those series. 

I believe, with a big turn around, Auburn can win series against just about anyone left on the schedule:

- Miss State

- at Alabama

- Florida

- at UGA

- LSU

- TAMU

- at Missouri

Let's say you take all your home series except for Miss State. That means you've got to take a series from either Alabama, UGA, or Missouri. 

I think Auburn can go to CoMo and win that series, if not sweep it, which would be absolutely huge. Meaning you've got to take a series against Bammer or UGA. You can. not. get swept again. 

- at Arkansas (1-2 --> 1-8)

- Miss State (1-2 --> 2-10)

- at Alabama (2-1 --> 4-11)

- Florida (2-1 --> 6-12)

- at UGA (1-2 --> 7-14)

- LSU (2-1 --> 9-15)

- TAMU (2-1 --> 11-16

- at Missouri (2-1 --> 13-17)

That gives you 24 wins. Assuming you take care of midweekers other than Tech, (7-1 in midweek games from here out) that would be 31 wins. Tigers are scheduled to play 32 more games, totaling 54 games in the regular season. Plus there is always the possibility of the Tigers taking a surprise series. against MSU or UGA. 

For those counting at home, that's a 31-23 record and 13-17 in the SEC. I think that can get you into the tournament, especially if you pick up a win in Hoover.  (If only one Hoover win, that's 32-25, 15-19 in games against SEC opponents). I think... I THINK... that can get you in.

If you get swept this weekend, the job becomes much harder. You're then tasked with taking at least game in every series, and winning 6 out of 7 remaining series.

Auburn is very much not out of this, and is still alive for post-season play, but the Tigers have got to get some things right. and they've got to get it right now. You can't take a game off or get down if you drop a game because you need all the wins you can get. Dropping a game is not the end of the world, as in total Auburn has 6 losses and can still afford to lose a few, but you've got to take every win you can get your hands on. 

1 hour ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Should be an interesting weekend in Fayetville. Jack Owen back on the hill. Greenhill one of the best starters in the league right now, and not even 100%. 

Auburn cannot afford a sweep in Fayetville. Will take a hurculean effort to make the tournament if that were to happen. If AU can somehow get 1, they've got to win 12 more games to get to that 13 win mark in the SEC. That would mean 12 - 9 over the last 7 weeks of the season. Luckily, the schedule, although still stout, does get easier than UM and Arkansas on the road. 

That's 5 series wins, and taking at least one game in each of those series. 

I believe, with a big turn around, Auburn can win series against just about anyone left on the schedule:

- Miss State

- at Alabama

- Florida

- at UGA

- LSU

- TAMU

- at Missouri

Let's say you take all your home series except for Miss State. That means you've got to take a series from either Alabama, UGA, or Missouri. 

I think Auburn can go to CoMo and win that series, if not sweep it, which would be absolutely huge. Meaning you've got to take a series against Bammer or UGA. You can. not. get swept again. 

- at Arkansas (1-2 --> 1-8)

- Miss State (1-2 --> 2-10)

- at Alabama (2-1 --> 4-11)

- Florida (2-1 --> 6-12)

- at UGA (1-2 --> 7-14)

- LSU (2-1 --> 9-15)

- TAMU (2-1 --> 11-16

- at Missouri (2-1 --> 13-17)

That gives you 24 wins. Assuming you take care of midweekers other than Tech, (7-1 in midweek games from here out) that would be 31 wins. Tigers are scheduled to play 32 more games, totaling 54 games in the regular season. Plus there is always the possibility of the Tigers taking a surprise series. against MSU or UGA. 

For those counting at home, that's a 31-23 record and 13-17 in the SEC. I think that can get you into the tournament, especially if you pick up a win in Hoover.  (If only one Hoover win, that's 32-25, 15-19 in games against SEC opponents). I think... I THINK... that can get you in.

If you get swept this weekend, the job becomes much harder. You're then tasked with taking at least game in every series, and winning 6 out of 7 remaining series.

Auburn is very much not out of this, and is still alive for post-season play, but the Tigers have got to get some things right. and they've got to get it right now. You can't take a game off or get down if you drop a game because you need all the wins you can get. Dropping a game is not the end of the world, as in total Auburn has 6 losses and can still afford to lose a few, but you've got to take every win you can get your hands on. 

The last time we started 0-6 in SEC play was 2013, and we finished 13-17 that year. I think we can get there as well. One positive that we have working for us is the win at Round Rock against aTm. So, if 13-17 gets us to Hoover and we win our first game there, that should be good enough to get us into a regional. It'd be close, and we need the RPI to improve from it's 104th position. But I think it's doable. We just don't have much margin for error, and like you said, we cannot get swept again. Period.

3 hours ago, boomstick said:

The last time we started 0-6 in SEC play was 2013, and we finished 13-17 that year. I think we can get there as well. One positive that we have working for us is the win at Round Rock against aTm. So, if 13-17 gets us to Hoover and we win our first game there, that should be good enough to get us into a regional. It'd be close, and we need the RPI to improve from it's 104th position. But I think it's doable. We just don't have much margin for error, and like you said, we cannot get swept again. Period.

After taking a look at Missouri, that is a team Auburn should absolutely set its sights on for a sweep at the end of the season. Again, things have got to change and get better for this Auburn team, but that right there should give you some confidence that you may be able to get three wins to close out the year. If you can do everything else from what I discussed in my previous post, that's starting to look like a team that is in the tournament fairly easily. 

Archived