Pearl to Texas? ESPN Rumor

Tiger720

5 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

Looking at what we MAY have next season, and the fact that Pearl is so competitive. I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a new job. Hope not.

I would be shocked coaches go to IU to get fired and UT is just a crap shoot. IMO he does not go anywhere and stays in Auburn

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know Pearl said he wanted to leave a legacy and eventually get his name on the arena. As long as Auburn admin doesn’t get in the way of that, I think he lives up to that. 

I too think he retires at Auburn unless the money is just too much from a Blue Blood program.

13 minutes ago, autan said:

Blue Blood program.

Texas isn't close to BB blueblood status and hasn't been that way in football since Vince Young.

10 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

Looking at what we MAY have next season, and the fact that Pearl is so competitive. I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a new job. Hope not.

What exactly may we have next season?

2 top recruits coming in? A great transfer? Potentially another transfer or two coming in that are better than what we lost to the transfer market? Unless Thor gets a promise he'll be drafted he will be back, a lot of players test the waters.

Even if Cooper goes to the NBA. We will have a top 15ish type team capable of making a run. If he doesn't probably top 5 that again should be capable of making a run.

2 hours ago, autan said:

I too think he retires at Auburn unless the money is just too much from a Blue Blood program.

LOL we're not Troy. If we want, we can afford to match anyone really. If he leaves it'll be for the prestige of coaching at a traditional winner. If we pay him and keep him, we could be looking at a potential title or so by the time he is done and many more tournament runs.

He really turned himself around and has taken a subpar program and turned it into a team that can contend with the best. 100% Pearle deserves to be in the Final Four and possibly win it. UVA is definitely not an easy team to beat and imo was the best team in the whole tournament. Good luck to both teams later on.

56 minutes ago, Francosonny1120 said:

He really turned himself around and has taken a subpar program and turned it into a team that can contend with the best. 100% Pearle deserves to be in the Final Four and possibly win it. UVA is definitely not an easy team to beat and imo was the best team in the whole tournament. Good luck to both teams later on.

Not sure if UVA was the best team in the tournament even though they won it but I know that before Chuma was injured, Auburn was playing better than anyone else in the tournament. It's been said many times over here, but we would have won it with Chuma and could have won it without him if not for the missed double dribble. Unfortunately ifs don't count for much. 

https://auburnwire.usatoday.com/2021/03/28/bruce-pearl-auburn-basketball-texas-vacant-job-seth-greenberg/

With Shaka Smart departing Austin and the Texas Longhorns for the head coaching position with Marquette, some names are already being thrown out there for the vacant job.

One of those names, of course, is Auburn’s Bruce Pearl. ESPN college basketball analyst Seth Greenberg was maybe the first to mention the possibility of him leaving the Plains for the 40 Acres.

“They need someone that’s going to get that Texas fan base excited,” Greenberg said on ESPN’s College GameDay. “I’m going to throw two names at you. How about Bruce Pearl? Talk about a guy that’s gone into a football environment and created frenzy and a winning atmosphere, a winning environment and style of play and energy.

Of course, this is the same Greenberg who did everything but credit the Tigers for their run through the 2019 SEC Tournament, instead saying that the final result — Auburn 84, Tennessee 64, was a mere result of the Volunteers playing “their real SEC championship” the day before against Kentucky.

As I said to that two years ago, I say to Greenberg now: puh-leeze....

This is nothing but a troll attempt by the media. Pearl isn't going anywhere. There is no reason for him to go anywhere. He's already an all-time great at Auburn, and with the trajectory of the program, it's not unfathomable that we could turn into a perennial SEC contender for 5-10 years while Bruce winds down his career in about as stress-free an environment as one can get as a major college basketball head coach.

Quite frankly, based upon what I have learned about his personality since he got to Auburn, I would venture a guess that he would have probably stayed at Tennessee for the rest of his career if he'd not run into the NCAA problems he did...and if not, leaving would have only been because he still had time, then, to build another legacy at a blueblood program, something that is no longer the case for him. I just get the impression he would have rather been at TN for 20 years than to have left there after a decade to coach at really anywhere that would have had an opening. UNC, Kentucky, Kansas and Duke have all been rock solid since before he left Knoxville, and there's no other obvious current blueblood that I could see luring him away if he'd continued his trajectory there. Maybe a UCLA type that has an old legacy of being a blueblood, but I doubt a Xavier/Marquette type of school would have.

All of that previous paragraph, however, is moot, because too much water has passed under the bridge for Bruce to go anywhere else.

And if by some horrible twist of fate, I'm wrong, I will be severely depressed. I add that sentence purely as a "knock on wood" type of thing, because I REALLY don't see any sense in it happening.

Roy Williams retiring from UNC is not one I want to see happen.  Still hoping Bruce continues to just create a legacy here. 

On 3/28/2021 at 9:17 AM, auburnphan said:

Beards buyout drops to $4 million this Thursday to go to another Big12 school

shocked it happened today, lol

31 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

shocked it happened today, lol

And now he's taking over the Texas job. Bet those TT fans are seething seeing their coach switch conference teams.

Also, NC is not going to want Coach Pearl. They want someone squeaky clean, and much younger I am sure...

Be interesting if they go after the hottest coach in the last 5 years at GOnzaga....

27 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Be interesting if they go after the hottest coach in the last 5 years at GOnzaga....

5 years? Mark Few is at least a decade into being a hot commodity. At LEAST since Adam Morrison was there (middle 00s?)

31 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

And now he's taking over the Texas job. Bet those TT fans are seething seeing their coach switch conference teams.

Also, NC is not going to want Coach Pearl. They want someone squeaky clean, and much younger I am sure...

Mark Few is only 2.75 yrs younger than Bruce Pearl.

54 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

5 years? Mark Few is at least a decade into being a hot commodity. At LEAST since Adam Morrison was there (middle 00s?)

I'm talking at the blue blood level. Look at his record. Yes he's gotten Zag in the tournament a ton, but until the last 5-6 years he hasn't gotten past the sweet16. Now he has been runner-up, elite 8, and now Final Four...all in the last 6 years. 

That's all I'm saying. 

I think this Auburn Blue Blood meme has really warped what that means to people 

it’s not as transient as you guys think it to be, UCLA is still respected as that 5th, sometimes on sometimes not member. They’re like the letter Y. Nova and Gonzaga are better than at least 3 of those 5 (I’ll give Duke and UNC credit for the title while Gonzaga has none) as of late, but they always get the “recent giant” description 

I’m not a CBB historian by any means, but these dudes would have to win like this (title or not) for a long long while to actually reach that mantle 

UNC will try to go with a Carolina guy that's just how they roll. Someone like Herbert Davis. Now saying it will happen but the alum will want a Carolina guy

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

UNC will try to go with a Carolina guy that's just how they roll. Someone like Herbert Davis. Now saying it will happen but the alum will want a Carolina guy

Sounds familiar- and look where that got us (in football) 🤣

Archived