Another prayer request

Butthead

A close friend, John Sewell (grandson of the Sewell Hall donors), has been fighting multiple cancer complications for nearly 10 years. After more chemo and radiation and surgeries than I care to recall his liver is failing. He is currently at Piedmont Hospital in Atlanta. If he remains stable he will head to University of Pittsburgh next week for evaluation and hopefully to find a transplant. John has had an amazing and positive attitude every moment of this battle. If you believe, please send some prayers his way. I hope to see a few more auburn football games with him. Thanks all. 

Praying for John. 

Thanks much. Should have mentioned that John was an athletic trainer for a number of football and baseball teams during his tenure in the late 80s and early 90s. 

On 3/27/2021 at 6:42 PM, Butthead said:

A close friend, John Sewell (grandson of the Sewell Hall donors), has been fighting multiple cancer complications for nearly 10 years. After more chemo and radiation and surgeries than I care to recall his liver is failing. He is currently at Piedmont Hospital in Atlanta. If he remains stable he will head to University of Pittsburgh next week for evaluation and hopefully to find a transplant. John has had an amazing and positive attitude every moment of this battle. If you believe, please send some prayers his way. I hope to see a few more auburn football games with him. Thanks all. 

Praying for Mr. Sewell and his family and friends. I lost my mom on 2/25 to Cancer. Eff Cancer!  I hate to see anybody go through that or have a loved on go through it.

Prayers have been answered, just need to get Mr Sewell to Pittsburgh and find a match.

The Official Dr. Thomas E. Starzl Web Site: The Transplanted Organs, The Liver (pitt.edu)

http://www.starzl.pitt.edu/transplantation/organs/liver.html

This man pioneered a surgical science that everyone else felt hopeless.

His success rate in 1964 was nil, when I was in med school in 1980 it was 5%, which was better than zero.  By the time I started fellowship it was 40% in 1984, he moved from Denver to Pittsburgh and by 1988 I had started practice and the success rate was >80%.  He trained a army of transplant surgeons and CPD attended a golf tournament in the 90's that counted 4 transplant survivors enjoying a splendid day.  Their life expectancy was similar to their school classmates having survived the first year post transplant.  

Godspeed to your friend, as CPD would say the "hay is in the barn",  just get him to the  kickoff.  

Little Doc

Prayers continue 

Thanks all.  John has not been stable enough to get to Pitt.  Kidneys are struggling and his BP is low.  But Easter is near and miracles do happen.  He continues to fight the good fight as all Auburn men and women do.  

On 3/27/2021 at 6:42 PM, Butthead said:

Prayers sent.

Archived