Jump to content
Null

Coming in for our first game


Recommended Posts

Greeting! 

Myself and a group of friends have a yearly tradition of traveling to see a different college town / football game every year. This year we will be coming in to visit Auburn and are very excited about it! 

I was hoping I could get a lay of the land as it were, so as not to miss out on anything for the weekend:  traditions, tailgating!, bars, food, and anything else there is to offer. 

We will be coming in for the Sept. 25th Georgia State game, 6 or 7 of us, mid 30s, still like to have a good time just don't recover nearly as fast! 

Cheers!  

  • Like 3
  • Love 3
Link to post
Share on other sites




There are a pile of bars/eateries on and around College street to check out on gameday. Get a Lemonade at Toomers, a BBQ Sandiwich at Byrons and make sure to get into the stadium early enough to see the Eagle fly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Timbeaux38 said:

There are a pile of bars/eateries on and around College street to check out on gameday. Get a Lemonade at Toomers, a BBQ Sandiwich at Byrons and make sure to get into the stadium early enough to see the Eagle fly.

Thanks! 

How about for tailgate, should we plan to have a spot or is it pretty easy to have a cooler and move around? 

Thanks! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is pretty easy to navigate around.... If I knew what our situation was as far as our tailgate this year, I'd invite your group to our corporate tailgate, but we still hae yet to make a decision about what we are gonna do.

If you can find favorable parking, you will make friends fast in Auburn as far as a tailgate goes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Timbeaux38 said:

It is pretty easy to navigate around.... If I knew what our situation was as far as our tailgate this year, I'd invite your group to our corporate tailgate, but we still hae yet to make a decision about what we are gonna do.

If you can find favorable parking, you will make friends fast in Auburn as far as a tailgate goes.

Thanks! We secured a house about a 10 min walk from the stadium so we figure we will be walking everywhere, have had success bouncing around other years, so was curious how it works in Auburn.  The good news is we bring luck, last two visits those teams have gone to the CFB championship, and we chose Auburn this year over a Clemson trip.  

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ASpen04 said:

Thanks! We secured a house about a 10 min walk from the stadium so we figure we will be walking everywhere, have had success bouncing around other years, so was curious how it works in Auburn.  The good news is we bring luck, last two visits those teams have gone to the CFB championship, and we chose Auburn this year over a Clemson trip.  

You chose well.... They refer to Clemson as 'Auburn with a Lake.'.... And we definitely need the luck 

 

Where are you located, and where all have you gone? Always thought doing a guys trip every year to a different place would be  really cool.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Typically on game day you do not want to be driving close to campus in the 3-4 hours leading up to the game. Or the 2-3 hours after the game. But if we have reduced capacity it might not be so bad. Walking around is pretty easy. Most everything restaurant/bar wise is right around toomers corner. So if you are staying on Toomers side of campus it will all be close easy walk. Getting a Mama's Love w/ cheesy doritos from Mama Golbergs is always as must for me. There is one right close to the stadium. 

Take a quick look in the new basketball arena right next to football stadium.....it has a nice little store for auburn gear and also a little area that displays the championship trophy and history of Auburn athletics. Also a great place to get some AC for those early in the year games. 

Tiger walk also happens on that side of the football stadium i think 2 hours prior to game start. It used to be a unique AU tradition but many schools have copied it cause they are lame and we are awesome. :) 

I also really like going to Niffer's out on Opelika HWY. About a 10-15 min drive from campus i think. Quirky place with some good food and drinks and fun atmosphere. Can get crowded cause it has been around a long time is a part of many folks traditions. 

Hope you enjoy your trip to Auburn! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ASpen04 said:

Greeting! 

Myself and a group of friends have a yearly tradition of traveling to see a different college town / football game every year. This year we will be coming in to visit Auburn and are very excited about it! 

I was hoping I could get a lay of the land as it were, so as not to miss out on anything for the weekend:  traditions, tailgating!, bars, food, and anything else there is to offer. 

We will be coming in for the Sept. 25th Georgia State game, 6 or 7 of us, mid 30s, still like to have a good time just don't recover nearly as fast! 

Cheers!  

Download “Auburn Athletics” app from Apple/google and you’ll have all the information about game day, tickets, tailgating, history  etc

Edited by toddc
Link to post
Share on other sites

Start a walk from the corner of Gay St. and Magnolia Ave and go west on Magnolia. You will pass lots of eating/drinking places, Toomers Corner, the Skybar and others and eventually end up at Momma Goldbergs near the stadium. In this short walk (1/2mile) you will see a lot of Auburn and can take a side trip into campus along College St.

Edited by Proud Tiger
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Timbeaux38 said:

You chose well.... They refer to Clemson as 'Auburn with a Lake.'.... And we definitely need the luck 

 

Where are you located, and where all have you gone? Always thought doing a guys trip every year to a different place would be  really cool.

haha that was a major draw, we had a house on a lake booked last year, but . . . 

So far we have done UGA, WVU (in an RV in late OCT,  generator froze), LSU, now Auburn.  The majority of us are from the North originally so we have seen most of what the Big 10 has to offer.  

Once you get 4-6 dedicated travelers it gets pretty easy, and cost effective. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ASpen04 said:

Greeting! 

Myself and a group of friends have a yearly tradition of traveling to see a different college town / football game every year. This year we will be coming in to visit Auburn and are very excited about it! 

I was hoping I could get a lay of the land as it were, so as not to miss out on anything for the weekend:  traditions, tailgating!, bars, food, and anything else there is to offer. 

We will be coming in for the Sept. 25th Georgia State game, 6 or 7 of us, mid 30s, still like to have a good time just don't recover nearly as fast! 

Cheers!  

Happy to have you come to see a game with us.  You will find Auburn is known for being a good family atmosphere.  Don't get me wrong, during rivalry games or SEC games we are extremely loud, but once the game is over I would not be surprised if you had people volunteering on helping make sure you can get home.  I would not hesitate to have your children come with you if you had any.  If it is possible, I definitely recommend to come back for an SEC game.  The Georgia State crowd might be a little tamer than normal.

I might personally recommend to be in your seats one hour before kickoff.  That is what I do.  This way you can see the players warming up, eagle taking flight, and the marching band.  The hype videos are always a sight be behold as well.  Even in down time, the stadium does a good job to keep you entertained, including playing other games on the jumbotron.

Like many have said before me, be sure to grab a Toomer's lemonade, although I would do that first thing as the line can get pretty long.  Sky bar is probably the most popular bar to go to if you are looking for a bar.  After we win the game, also head straight for Toomer's corner and bring a roll of toilet paper with you so you can help roll Toomer's Corner.  Both streets are shut down so fans can go there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, ASpen04 said:

haha that was a major draw, we had a house on a lake booked last year, but . . . 

So far we have done UGA, WVU (in an RV in late OCT,  generator froze), LSU, now Auburn.  The majority of us are from the North originally so we have seen most of what the Big 10 has to offer.  

Once you get 4-6 dedicated travelers it gets pretty easy, and cost effective. 

What atmosphere did you enjoy the most?

Best Fans?

Prettiest campus?

 

sorry or all the questions....

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Timbeaux38 said:

What atmosphere did you enjoy the most?

Best Fans?

Prettiest campus?

 

sorry or all the questions....

 

Not at all! 

Best Atmosphere so far was LSU, especially considering we were wearing the opposing teams gear and still were welcomed in to multiple tailgates for bourbon, UGA had good potential but that was the first time we did a big group and had not gotten into our groove yet, but the campus was great!   WVU was a scene, lots of moonshine and the stadium singing Country Roads at the end of the game was great! But the weather definitely impacted WVU (freezing) and the surrounding area is not the best.  

As for places in the north we all visited in college, ND is amazing, pure college feel and you get enveloped by the tradition.  Penn State is good for the sheer size and sound of the stadium, it is something to behold. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

Happy to have you come to see a game with us.  You will find Auburn is known for being a good family atmosphere.  Don't get me wrong, during rivalry games or SEC games we are extremely loud, but once the game is over I would not be surprised if you had people volunteering on helping make sure you can get home.  I would not hesitate to have your children come with you if you had any.  If it is possible, I definitely recommend to come back for an SEC game.  The Georgia State crowd might be a little tamer than normal.

I might personally recommend to be in your seats one hour before kickoff.  That is what I do.  This way you can see the players warming up, eagle taking flight, and the marching band.  The hype videos are always a sight be behold as well.  Even in down time, the stadium does a good job to keep you entertained, including playing other games on the jumbotron.

Like many have said before me, be sure to grab a Toomer's lemonade, although I would do that first thing as the line can get pretty long.  Sky bar is probably the most popular bar to go to if you are looking for a bar.  After we win the game, also head straight for Toomer's corner and bring a roll of toilet paper with you so you can help roll Toomer's Corner.  Both streets are shut down so fans can go there.

Great to know! Most of us do have kids but these trips have become somewhat of a replacement for Bachelor Parties that are now a thing of the past.  But also because of that we try to target games in Mid to Late Sept before most of us have other obligations, so it doesn't leave us much choice for conference games.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ASpen04 said:

Great to know! Most of us do have kids but these trips have become somewhat of a replacement for Bachelor Parties that are now a thing of the past.  But also because of that we try to target games in Mid to Late Sept before most of us have other obligations, so it doesn't leave us much choice for conference games.  

No problem at all.  Night games are definitely easier since you aren't in the sun/humidity.  I might also recommend to bring $7 each so you can rent the seatbacks if the ticketholder you bought the tickets from didn't upgrade their seats.  Definitely worth it.  I would also check back in on this forum a week or two before the game to see what color Auburn is asking fans to wear.  If you are lucky, we will stripe the stadium that game so each section has an alternate color to wear.

Our stadium has the largest jumbotron in the country which is massive, but we also added all LED lights last year so this year will be the first time we can see it at full capacity (students saw them last year).  You might also want to buy a shaker before you get to your seats.  Not necessary, but most fans have them and we use them for all of our chants and when we are on defense.

Edited by abw0004
Link to post
Share on other sites

Make sure you go by the Momma Goldberg's at the corner of Magnolia and Donahue (the corner of campus) and try the nachos. If you want a meal, get the Momma's Love, but the nachos are a must try. They put cheese (I believe it's pepperjack, but I'm having a brain fart right now) on top of Doritos and steam them, and they are SO good!

Niffer's, out on Opelika Highway is the best local burger joint, and definitely worth a visit. The Hound, on Tichenor, was outstanding the few times I visited, but I haven't been back since my friend, who was head chef when they opened, moved to Atlanta. And DEFINITELY go by Toomer's Drugs and get a lemonade, it's the best in the world.

As for game day, I certainly hope they're going to do Tiger Walk, which has been a tradition for more than 30 years, and according to @augolf1716, the students have been doing it since Iron Mike Donahue was dominating in the early 1900s...but the rest of us weren't around back then, so we have to take his word for it. Don't be drawn in by Alabama's "Walk of Champions"; it was directly copied from Tiger Walk after the tradition was highlighted a couple of times. Pretty sure a lot of teams have actually copied the tradition of lining the walkway from the field house (think that's where it starts, anyway) to the stadium, but it really began in 89, when Alabama visited Auburn for the first time in series history, because the fans were so hyped up. That's a couple of hours before the game, and afterward, you'll want to go on in the stadium so that you'll get to see the eagle fly.

After the game, we roll Toomer's Corner, our most famous tradition, and given the opponent, we're virtually assured of victory, so it'll be happening...it just won't be very impressive, because it's hard to get into that kind of thing for an opponent you're expected to beat.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2021 at 1:01 PM, Timbeaux38 said:

You chose well.... They refer to Clemson as 'Auburn with a Lake.'.... And we definitely need the luck 

Wait, is that saying “Clemson is Auburn with luck”?

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Wait, is that saying “Clemson is Auburn with luck”?

Recently it was “Clemson is Auburn with a coach”?

 

I think all that is gonna change with CBH

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

   The one time I went a few years ago, I loved hanging out at the outdoor bar at Live Oaks. Lots of foot traffic in the area before the game, so you can do a lot of people watching. There's also a  couple TVs out there, so I was able to watch some of the earlier games before Auburn kicked off at night. The beer was cold, the food was good...wound up being one of my top favorite, out of town bar/ restaurant type experiences. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bigbird said:

Recently it was “Clemson is Auburn with a coach”?

 

I think all that is gonna change with CBH

My gosh I’m so ready to see us play this fall. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

On Friday, start off your evening with a cocktail from Avondale Bar and Tap Room, then commence with your walking and dining tour of the Loveliest Village.

(The Hound isn't far from Avondale, and it has pretty good food.)

On gameday, you need to hit the Tiger Walk just for the experience. 

Some folks are iffy about the pitcher of beer and Momma's Love sandwich at Momma Goldberg's, but it's a must for me every time I get back. It brings back too many good memories for me to miss it when I get the chance. Niffer's is another.

Uber is your friend.

 

War Eagle!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...