Coming in for our first game

ASpen04

On 4/1/2021 at 1:05 PM, Rednilla said:

Make sure you go by the Momma Goldberg's at the corner of Magnolia and Donahue (the corner of campus) and try the nachos. If you want a meal, get the Momma's Love, but the nachos are a must try. They put cheese (I believe it's pepperjack, but I'm having a brain fart right now) on top of Doritos and steam them, and they are SO good!

Niffer's, out on Opelika Highway is the best local burger joint, and definitely worth a visit. The Hound, on Tichenor, was outstanding the few times I visited, but I haven't been back since my friend, who was head chef when they opened, moved to Atlanta. And DEFINITELY go by Toomer's Drugs and get a lemonade, it's the best in the world.

As for game day, I certainly hope they're going to do Tiger Walk, which has been a tradition for more than 30 years, and according to @augolf1716, the students have been doing it since Iron Mike Donahue was dominating in the early 1900s...but the rest of us weren't around back then, so we have to take his word for it. Don't be drawn in by Alabama's "Walk of Champions"; it was directly copied from Tiger Walk after the tradition was highlighted a couple of times. Pretty sure a lot of teams have actually copied the tradition of lining the walkway from the field house (think that's where it starts, anyway) to the stadium, but it really began in 89, when Alabama visited Auburn for the first time in series history, because the fans were so hyped up. That's a couple of hours before the game, and afterward, you'll want to go on in the stadium so that you'll get to see the eagle fly.

After the game, we roll Toomer's Corner, our most famous tradition, and given the opponent, we're virtually assured of victory, so it'll be happening...it just won't be very impressive, because it's hard to get into that kind of thing for an opponent you're expected to beat.

I was surprised to make it this far into the thread before I saw the rolling of Toomers mentioned....   definitely don’t want to miss that.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoAU said:

I was surprised to make it this far into the thread before I saw the rolling of Toomers mentioned....   definitely don’t want to miss that.  

Honestly, I feel certain it's because you said you'd be coming to the Georgia State game. We really don't get all that into rolling Toomer's with games like that. I mean, you'll probably have a few drunk college kids decorating the trees with TP just for the heck of it, and maybe a family or two with smaller kids who don't really understand that it's not a full on celebration and are getting their first experience with rolling the trees, but it's not even in the same ballpark as when we win a big home game (or big road game, for that matter).

Basically, you'll be able to get the traditions, and regarding food/drink, you'll be better off because you won't have to fight as big a crowd, but if you really want to experience Jordan-Hare Stadium in its full ambiance, you have to come to a rivalry game, particularly if both teams are good that season. I doubt you have any desire to make that a reality (which is certainly understandable; I'm a diehard, so I live and breathe orange and blue, but you're just sampling the atmosphere), but if you ever do get the chance, take it. It really is a true spectacle, even for college football pageantry.

11 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Honestly, I feel certain it's because you said you'd be coming to the Georgia State game. We really don't get all that into rolling Toomer's with games like that. I mean, you'll probably have a few drunk college kids decorating the trees with TP just for the heck of it, and maybe a family or two with smaller kids who don't really understand that it's not a full on celebration and are getting their first experience with rolling the trees, but it's not even in the same ballpark as when we win a big home game (or big road game, for that matter).

Basically, you'll be able to get the traditions, and regarding food/drink, you'll be better off because you won't have to fight as big a crowd, but if you really want to experience Jordan-Hare Stadium in its full ambiance, you have to come to a rivalry game, particularly if both teams are good that season. I doubt you have any desire to make that a reality (which is certainly understandable; I'm a diehard, so I live and breathe orange and blue, but you're just sampling the atmosphere), but if you ever do get the chance, take it. It really is a true spectacle, even for college football pageantry.

Ohhh yeah the idea is always if we can get a great game we want to do so, the problem is when you start factoring in Housing, Bar Bills, Food, Flights, and then throw a $300.00 ticket on top of that, it gets much harder to tell a group of wives why you keep disappearing for 4 days every year to spend large chunks of money! 

The other thing is we try to book these as far in advance as possible and the last time we tried to get a premier conference match up we went to WVU vs. TCU a few years ago, pre-season they were both picked to be top 15, well TCU didn't hold up it's end of the bargain and we ended up paying extra to still watch a 40 point blow out! 

But we did get to sing Country Roads! 

1 minute ago, ASpen04 said:

Ohhh yeah the idea is always if we can get a great game we want to do so, the problem is when you start factoring in Housing, Bar Bills, Food, Flights, and then throw a $300.00 ticket on top of that, it gets much harder to tell a group of wives why you keep disappearing for 4 days every year to spend large chunks of money! 

The other thing is we try to book these as far in advance as possible and the last time we tried to get a premier conference match up we went to WVU vs. TCU a few years ago, pre-season they were both picked to be top 15, well TCU didn't hold up it's end of the bargain and we ended up paying extra to still watch a 40 point blow out! 

But we did get to sing Country Roads! 

No doubt that it's tougher on you to get to big games. Depending upon how many of you there are, it can add up mighty quickly, even for the lesser light games. I would still have advised to go to the UGA game over Georgia State. You run the risk of not getting to see Toomer's get rolled with a game like that, but all the pregame festivities are packed and give the greatest atmosphere. But yeah, when you don't have a special connection, just getting the tickets is a bundle, and that price, I'm sure, pales in comparison to travel and accommodations. I've never had to get a hotel in Auburn because even when I wasn't living there, my family has a cabin on Lake Martin (about half an hour away), and the only game I've ever been to as a visitor, I stayed at a friend's apartment in Starkville.

I do hope you have a fantastic time. And remember, if you do nothing else to sample the local cuisine, try the nachos at Momma Goldberg's and the lemonade at Toomer's Drugs.

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

No doubt that it's tougher on you to get to big games. Depending upon how many of you there are, it can add up mighty quickly, even for the lesser light games. I would still have advised to go to the UGA game over Georgia State. You run the risk of not getting to see Toomer's get rolled with a game like that, but all the pregame festivities are packed and give the greatest atmosphere. But yeah, when you don't have a special connection, just getting the tickets is a bundle, and that price, I'm sure, pales in comparison to travel and accommodations. I've never had to get a hotel in Auburn because even when I wasn't living there, my family has a cabin on Lake Martin (about half an hour away), and the only game I've ever been to as a visitor, I stayed at a friend's apartment in Starkville.

I do hope you have a fantastic time. And remember, if you do nothing else to sample the local cuisine, try the nachos at Momma Goldberg's and the lemonade at Toomer's Drugs.

Thanks! 

• 1 month later...

Any idea when a game time may be announced for the Auburn vs. Georgia State game.  Assuming it will probably be a noon kick but hoping for a 3:30pm! 

I would not miss Tiger Walk - so your pregame "problem" will be hanging at Skybar and then walking across campus to the walk along Donahue - Tiger Walk starts at Samford and Doanhue and goes down by the baseball stadium to Jordan-Hare at Heisman. (look on a map) You will have to cover some ground and they usually start 2 hours before game time. It doesn't last long and it's fun to be there as the crowd builds up before it starts and some cheers take place - it won't be as raucous for GA St - but it will be a family day for sure.

There was (not sure this year) a tailgate party open to all outside the baseball stadium at the corner of Heisman and Donahue. It's a little bar setup - nothing big but if you are roaming around vs tailgaiting at a tent it's an easy spot to get a beer or two and watch TVs.  So getting from Skybar down the hill to that area does take some time to do it casually - your call on what you want to do. Hitting Skybar after the game might be better and it's across from Toomers corner.

Another thing that I enjoy is the Marching band coming in from all 4 streets and meeting at Heisman and Donahue for some fight songs before marching into the stadium - not sure the exact timing but it's about 1 hour before the game. They post the time on the gameday schedule.

You can also walk along the east side of the stadium and there is a stage/tent that is setup for the pregame radio show. There are usually some former Auburn players showing up there and signing autographs. Big games bring the big stars - not sure what you will get with GA State. But if some player has the weekend off in the NFL they do come to campus on Saturday - and are also leading Tiger Walk.

1 hour ago, difball said:

I would not miss Tiger Walk - so your pregame "problem" will be hanging at Skybar and then walking across campus to the walk along Donahue - Tiger Walk starts at Samford and Doanhue and goes down by the baseball stadium to Jordan-Hare at Heisman. (look on a map) You will have to cover some ground and they usually start 2 hours before game time. It doesn't last long and it's fun to be there as the crowd builds up before it starts and some cheers take place - it won't be as raucous for GA St - but it will be a family day for sure.

There was (not sure this year) a tailgate party open to all outside the baseball stadium at the corner of Heisman and Donahue. It's a little bar setup - nothing big but if you are roaming around vs tailgaiting at a tent it's an easy spot to get a beer or two and watch TVs.  So getting from Skybar down the hill to that area does take some time to do it casually - your call on what you want to do. Hitting Skybar after the game might be better and it's across from Toomers corner.

Another thing that I enjoy is the Marching band coming in from all 4 streets and meeting at Heisman and Donahue for some fight songs before marching into the stadium - not sure the exact timing but it's about 1 hour before the game. They post the time on the gameday schedule.

You can also walk along the east side of the stadium and there is a stage/tent that is setup for the pregame radio show. There are usually some former Auburn players showing up there and signing autographs. Big games bring the big stars - not sure what you will get with GA State. But if some player has the weekend off in the NFL they do come to campus on Saturday - and are also leading Tiger Walk.

Thanks for the info! Will look into the Baseball Stadium tailgate! 

A Georgia State type game is a fine option to get your feet wet and not have to deal with the crush of a conference (or marquee) matchup, but there is nothing like a big time game at home. You can feel a different level of excitement all week and come Saturday it can absolutely overwhelming. Before, during, and after a big win is something that’s hard to put in to words really.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

A Georgia State type game is a fine option to get your feet wet and not have to deal with the crush of a conference (or marquee) matchup, but there is nothing like a big time game at home. You can feel a different level of excitement all week and come Saturday it can absolutely overwhelming. Before, during, and after a big win is something that’s hard to put in to words really.  

Absolutely, we have talked about splurging for more marquee match ups every 4 or 5 years.   

First of all Welcome to Auburn. I see everybody has already pointed you in the right direction on the sites, where to eat, etc.  Only advice I have is practice saying WAR Eagle as long and loud as you can. If you do that you will have a stadium full of friends.  When the Auburn people find out what you are doing will also probably get a few drinks paif for.

• 2 weeks later...