Softball vs Arkansas

1 minute ago, Jad0003 said:

I feel like if the hitting doesn’t approve by the end of the year, he will have no choice but to bring in another hitting coach. I don’t know much about Dean’s strategy either, but it is not working. I don’t mind stealing bases and forcing the other team to make the play, but as @blakem mentioned above, it’s predictable at this point. The bunt with no outs and a runner on first is also predictable. I know we aren’t the best hitting team, but I rather see a player go for the hit rather than a sac bunt, especially in early innings when the game is 0-0.

We have the pitching to compete against top teams. Both Lowe and Penta have shown they can be dominant if the defense can hold up. It seems once one mistake is made, either an error in the field or numerous bad at-bats, we start to unravel and things snowball out of control. 

Agree....And as they get into the later innings, it also puts a ton of pressure on these young pitchers, when we can't score runs, and unless they pitch a shutout or give up less than 2 runs, the odds are we are going to lose. That's a tough spot to put an inexperienced pitcher in. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Want to mention something in game 3 that did not affect the out come but could have had catastrophic  injury results and bothered me.  In the 4th inning Arkansas hit a fly ball essentially to straight center field and Rivera came flying out of RF to make the catch in front of center fielder who only had to take a few steps forward.  Should not happen with experienced player.  Even TV announcer made mention.  Went back and watched it on replay and it was inexcusable.  

3 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

Want to mention something in game 3 that did not affect the out come but could have had catastrophic  injury results and bothered me.  In the 4th inning Arkansas hit a fly ball essentially to straight center field and Rivera came flying out of RF to make the catch in front of center fielder who only had to take a few steps forward.  Should not happen with experienced player.  Even TV announcer made mention.  Went back and watched it on replay and it was inexcusable.  

And don't forget the collision between Dowell and Horton in which you watch the replay Dowell's lucky it didn't blow out her knee... back to my point scrimmages don't teach fundamentals

My biggest fear coming out of this year are transfers. We have to keep these freshman and sophomores in order to compete. I’m worried that Lowe or Penta may get tired of dealing with all the crap and decide to scoot out of here. Couldn’t say I’d blame them either really because they’d be hot commodities in the portal.

20 minutes ago, blakem said:

My biggest fear coming out of this year are transfers. We have to keep these freshman and sophomores in order to compete. I’m worried that Lowe or Penta may get tired of dealing with all the crap and decide to scoot out of here. Couldn’t say I’d blame them either really because they’d be hot commodities in the portal.

I’ll also be interested to see who sticks around for their extra year of eligibility in the senior class. 

I will say, we do have wins against Florida State, Missouri, South Carolina, and a few other good teams. The team knows it can win against good competition, and it will be important for us in regionals. I think we can win against almost any team with Lowe and Penta in the circle, and I doubt we see anyone besides those two when it comes down to it.

2 hours ago, Jad0003 said:

I will say, we do have wins against Florida State, Missouri, South Carolina, and a few other good teams. The team knows it can win against good competition, and it will be important for us in regionals. I think we can win against almost any team with Lowe and Penta in the circle, and I doubt we see anyone besides those two when it comes down to it.

That's not saying much. SC hasn't won an SEC game yet. And the wins against FSU and Mizz we had pitchers give up zero and 1 run in those 2 games. 

So, as I said before unless we play solid D, and the pitchers give up less than 2 runs a game, we will have a chance, but when we don't score many runs, the pressure is only getting greater for these young lady pitcher....

The hitters have to produce or we will have series records just like we had the last 3.(and we don't even play the teams worse than us so far (SC and MSU ).

4 hours ago, Jad0003 said:

I’ll also be interested to see who sticks around for their extra year of eligibility in the senior class. 

My guess is none. Horton might because she transferred in and McDowell would be a good addition to keep but I think she leaves as well.

Archived