2021 Helmets Design

toddc

I have to admit I wouldn't mind seeing the all blue helmet and uni look for a game a year. I've always liked the one color look going all the way back to my HS team that had sharp looking all black helmets and unis. My favorite AU uni continues to be the all white Star Wars Storm Troopers uni. It's one of the sharpest unis in college football imo.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if we go to tradition how about these

1939-Auburn-all-watermark-840x584.png

or these...

1935-Auburn-all-watermark-840x584.png

so the all blue unis and helmets are actually tradition...the green jerseys were from when we had coaches from Notre Dame...so if we want to change the unis for a special game then it is ok in my book but it really doesn't matter...

I don't buy too much into the recruiting angle on helmets. If a more "modern" and exciting helmet design is needed to help recruiting, the most boring helmets in the NCAA are on the west side of the state with a trophy case full of nattys.

It is a helmet and it is a uniform.  If a high school recruit makes the most important decision of his young life on how those two look, then I’m not sure he is mature enough to play college ball and succeed in college classes.  

LoL. You guys always have to blow things out of proportion. Nobody said a kid would choose a school just because of a helmet. Nobody said anything like that at all.

Every conversation really don't have to suck, you know. Jeez.

I’ve seen some really awesome helmet edits over the years. The pic they posted is extremely basic. I’m a fan of switching things up from time to time. I think AU could really do a great new uniform combo if they wanted to.

I'll admit that the matt blue is sharp looking.  But IMO, white is a more functional because of it's visibility - it's easier for the QB to pick up targets.  Remember when Bryant put white helmets on his wide receivers?

(Besides, I am a traditionalist and I think the white just looks better, especially with the road white unis.)

But I'd be gobsmacked if CBH did something like this in he's first year.

29 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Besides, I am a traditionalist and I think the white just looks better

racist-thats-racist.gif

10 hours ago, McLoofus said:

LoL. You guys always have to blow things out of proportion. Nobody said a kid would choose a school just because of a helmet. Nobody said anything like that at all.

Earlier in this thread “helping recruiting” was mentioned several times.  I took that as being a factor in a kid’s decision.  I have no problem with alternate uniforms to be worn a couple times per year.  I do not want to see our classic uniforms changed.  

1 hour ago, around4ever said:

Earlier in this thread “helping recruiting” was mentioned several times.  I took that as being a factor in a kid’s decision.  I have no problem with alternate uniforms to be worn a couple times per year.  I do not want to see our classic uniforms changed.  

You must have “ been around for ever “ or something.

3 hours ago, around4ever said:

"Helping".

23 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I agree for the most part but my son would have done just about anything to get me to move to Gordo AL. when he was in high school to play in these (Green Bay) uniforms. 

Screenshot_20210403-224941~2.png

The only thing I have against alternative uniforms are when the designers go crazy and throw taste out the window (See Georgia vs. Boise 2011).

image.png

Boise actually had a pretty clean design but it also helps that they aren't exactly married to tradition. Now take Georgia. When you consider their traditional look vs what Nike came up with, they look like bright red clowns.

I think the traditional Auburn design but with alternate color combinations would be a good look.

Design is a constantly evolving subject. Past iterations of the Auburn uniform had little to no influence from the recruiting trail. But Auburn seems pretty firm in it's identity considering that the last 40 years of iterations have not deviated far from its core elements.

On 4/3/2021 at 8:14 AM, around4ever said:

It is a helmet and it is a uniform.  If a high school recruit makes the most important decision of his young life on how those two look, then I’m not sure he is mature enough to play college ball and succeed in college classes.  

A kid chose Clemson because they had a better soft serve ice cream machine...

Our uniforms are consistently rated as some of the best in the country so I don’t think we need an overhaul, but a game or two with some classy alternatives would be fun. And I’m one of the old guys on here.

20 hours ago, gr82be said:

I agree for the most part but my son would have done just about anything to get me to move to Gordo AL. when he was in high school to play in these (Green Bay) uniforms. 

We used to compete at their band competition each year.  Best in the state. 

21 hours ago, gr82be said:

Those are sick! Love me some Green and Gold. Packers, Sonics, A’s all rocked some great uni’s. My high school had uniforms like Tex AM before the went crazy with the adidas stuff. And I hated it. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Why not?

1.  Auburn doesn’t need gimmicks to be noticed

2.  It would be like drawing a mustache on the Mona Lisa

11 hours ago, weagl1 said:

1.  Auburn doesn’t need gimmicks to be noticed

2.  It would be like drawing a mustache on the Mona Lisa

1. That's a reason that it's not *necessary*, but not a reason that it would be *bad*. Also, it wouldn't objectively be a gimmick.

2. Can't argue against personal taste.

What if Coach Harsin goes with the all blue look in game #1 and we win big. Let's say he is superstitious and says we're going to keep wearing the all blues as long as we win. Then we go undefeated and win the natty. What are we going to do THEN ? :dunno:

1 minute ago, IronMan70 said:

What if Coach Harsin goes with the all blue look in game #1 and we win big. Let's say he is superstitious and says we're going to keep wearing the all blues as long as we win. Then we go undefeated and win the natty. What are we going to do THEN ? :dunno:

:bananadance:

23 hours ago, toddc said:

Our uniforms are consistently rated as some of the best in the country so I don’t think we need an overhaul, but a game or two with some classy alternatives would be fun. And I’m one of the old guys on here.

Same here. I'm one who is still pissed they didn't do something in 2013 with a throwback uni for the 100 year anniversary of the 1913 Natty team. That would have been something special.

Archived