MLB Moves All Star Game From Atlanta

Proud Tiger

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thing that really urks me is, one the Braves don't even play in Atlanta lol.  Two, they are hurting the baseball franchise that had nothing to do with the legislation. Three, by punishing Atlanta, they are actually taking the millions of dollars away from a city that is majority of the population that wants the funding.  They are underfunding themselves.  I do think we need to know who is voting with identificaton. I also think the true efforts should be on how to fairly get people the identification required instead of saying it's not needed.  

I am not trying to be political with the conversation, just don't understand why changing something in baseball is the result for something that happened in election legislation.  

I also think athletes and entertainment people should stay out of politics unless they plan on running themselves. 

51 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Thing that really urks me is, one the Braves don't even play in Atlanta lol.  Two, they are hurting the baseball franchise that had nothing to do with the legislation. Three, by punishing Atlanta, they are actually taking the millions of dollars away from a city that is majority of the population that wants the funding.  They are underfunding themselves.  I do think we need to know who is voting with identificaton. I also think the true efforts should be on how to fairly get people the identification required instead of saying it's not needed.  

I am not trying to be political with the conversation, just don't understand why changing something in baseball is the result for something that happened in election legislation.  

I also think athletes and entertainment people should stay out of politics unless they plan on running themselves. 

Amen and Amen. Political correctness is stupidity in action. 

Delta and Coca Cola CEOs reversed themselves under pressure and condemned the new voting law. They later admitted they hadn't even read it. Pitiful.

I don't understand their quick reaction.

From what I have seen, the voting changes, including the complaints of hours of voting and providing water to voters from democrats, was not accurate, and totally debunked by those who listed exactly what the passed bills stated.

1. that they still could vote 7am -7pm, and NOT the 5pm that was reported by liberal media.

2. that water could be provided to anyone in line by local officials, and after so many feet, anyone could provide food and water including those that would be considered businesses and special interest groups. it WAS not what the mainstream media said AND our President that water could not be provided to people in line.

Now I don't know if ANY of the changes would have suppressed minority voting, but these 2 at least what I have seen were debunked. But I noticed in a AL.com article Sunday, that they still mention that the negative reference to the bill not allowing water to be given out.

What is it with these people? GA people and businesses are the ones hurt, including workers who are democrats. Shooting yourself in the foot to knock the REpulicans doesn't make much common sense to me...

On 4/3/2021 at 11:17 AM, AUBwins said:

Those jobs will shift to the new location.

7 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

Are those "will-call" attendees planning voting at the game?  Little bit of difference there, sport.

The people of Georgia should run Georgia, not woke corporations. GA GOP need to grow a spine and start revoking tax exemptions. Just pointing out the corporations hypocrisy by going  'look at China' or 'they require ID' isn't going to accomplish anything. It's just whining. The GOP need to start acting and quit whining about these corporations.

Been busy and finally having a chance to read threads.

MLB's decision was largely based on their advertisers/sponsors putting pressure on the the league to do this.  Like it or not, this is capitalism working as it's designed to do.

3 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Been busy and finally having a chance to read threads.

MLB's decision was largely based on their advertisers/sponsors putting pressure on the the league to do this.  Like it or not, this is capitalism working as it's designed to do.

Exactly! This isn't 'cancel culture' it's capitalism. MLB ultimately believes it's better for it's brand and bottom line to move the game out of Atlanta. 

Conservatives should be weeping with joy that a major business can freely make such decisions without governmental interference. 

2 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Exactly! This isn't 'cancel culture' it's capitalism. MLB ultimately believes it's better for it's brand and bottom line to move the game out of Atlanta. 

Conservatives should be weeping with joy that a major business can freely make such decisions without governmental interference. 

You're correct. There's still one piece missing in the equation and that is the consumption side, which is TBD.

Is this the way of the world now?  The President lies about a Georgia bill, the media spreads the lie and the employees (not all mind you) gripe to the CEO and the corporations cave to the perceived threat.  Is there anybody out there that has a backbone?

Good ole Joe *there going to put y’all back in chains* Biden and his Jim Eagle comment.  What a tool. 

Breaking news as reported by ESPN:  The devil has cancelled his fiddle contest in Georgia in support of voter’s rights.

22 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Breaking news as reported by ESPN:  The devil has cancelled his fiddle contest in Georgia in support of voter’s rights.

No, but Texas Governor Greg Abbott says he wont throw out the first pitch at the Rangers game today in protest.

It'll hit just as hard as all those outraged Republicans who have never watched a live MLB game in their life vowing that they'll never go to one in the future either...not that they were ever planning to"

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31198398/texas-gov-greg-abbott-backs-texas-rangers-first-pitch-mlb-decision-move-asg-georgia

16 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

No, but Texas Governor Greg Abbott says he wont throw out the first pitch at the Rangers game today in protest.

It'll hit just as hard as all those outraged Republicans who have never watched a live MLB game in their life vowing that they'll never go to one in the future either...not that they were ever planning to"

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31198398/texas-gov-greg-abbott-backs-texas-rangers-first-pitch-mlb-decision-move-asg-georgia

Is MLB going to boycott all states that have more stringent rules about voting than Georgia does?  This isn’t about Georgia, its about any other state that dare to want to make their states voting procedures have more integrity and less susceptible to fraud.  It’s a preemptive strike that ties into HR-1 IMO.

Oh, and to Governor Abbott; good for him.  Is it wrong for Republicans to play the same game as Dems?

Are you alright with corporations telling you how you should view your politics?  They are no better at it than athletes and actors.

There’s the fundamental question of whom these kinds of withdrawals hurt the most. Yes, they’re economically painful … but it’s not like that economic pain falls only on the shoulders of Republican legislators. Small businesses, the service industry, hourly workers these are the people who suffer the most proportionate harm from withdrawals, to say nothing of the fans who just wanted to see the game’s best in their yard.

Why wouldn’t Major League Baseball, Delta, Coca-Cola and other major corporate entities focus on investing their vast funds in concrete efforts like voter education and registration? Yes, it’s hard work, long hours with lots of phone connections severed and doors slammed in your face. But it’s also a lot more effective in achieving goals than a theatrical walkout like this.

Sen. Raphael Warnock, who won one of the two runoff elections in January, hit on this exact point in a statement released late Friday afternoon. “It is my hope that businesses, athletes, and entertainers can protest this law not by leaving Georgia but by coming here and fighting voter suppression head on, and hand-in-hand with the community,” Warnock said.

And just a few days ago, Abrams also asked businesses not to abandon Georgia over the bill. "Leaving us behind won’t save us," Abrams wrote in USA Today. "So I ask you to bring your business to Georgia and, if you’re already here, stay and fight. Stay and vote."

Remember, all this is about money not being upset at voter suppression. 

Major League Baseball is protesting a democratically passed Georgia voting law while bolstering ties with a Communist Party-backed Chinese company that cracked down on an NBA executive who supported the pro-democracy movement in Hong Kong.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/mlb-georgia-tencent-nba-hong-kong

6 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

I’m fine with MLB doing what they feel is best for them just don’t feed everyone a line of BS for why you are doing it. NY, with the exception of ID, has similar or more restrictive voting regulations. Even Biden’s home state requires an ID to vote, doesn’t allow “no excuse” absentee voting and early voting is only allowed for those who qualify for absentee voting. 

This debate has become such a farce and the very definition of intellectual dishonesty. 

17 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

The people of Georgia should run Georgia, not woke corporations. GA GOP need to grow a spine and start revoking tax exemptions. Just pointing out the corporations hypocrisy by going  'look at China' or 'they require ID' isn't going to accomplish anything. It's just whining. The GOP need to start acting and quit whining about these corporations.

This is a dumb ass comment.  The people of Georgia elected folks.  Those folks made a decision.  A business made a choice to protest said decision by not giving Georgia the benefit of a large event, which is their right to do.

Welcome to capitalism and democracy.

Oh, and revoke those tax exemptions and see how quickly Georgia becomes Mississippi 2.0 from an economic standpoint.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

This is a dumb ass comment.  The people of Georgia elected folks.  Those folks made a decision.  A business decided to protest said decision by not giving Georgia the benefit of a large event, which is their right to do.

Welcome to capitalism and democracy.

And said business shouldn't be rewarded with tax breaks and tax exemptions from a state if they're going to throw a tantrum and take an event/business elsewhere. That's also a part of democracy. Taxpayers of GA shouldn't be giving corporate welfare to companies if they're going to turn around deprive them of their business as leverage to try to bully a state into doing what they want. Do voters in GA want to be run by big business or be run by their elected officials?

Archived