Johnnie Harris named women's coach

I'm a little nervous about her never having been a head coach. Other than that, what's not to like? I'm happy with the hire, at least until I see the product she puts on the court.

• Like 5

On 4/3/2021 at 10:32 PM, AU9377 said:

I hope she hits the transfer portal hard.  We desperately need an infusion of talent on the roster.

Will really be interesting to see how the portal and the extra year impacts recruiting for the classes of 2022 and 2023.  It's already significantly impacted 2021.

Only player I've seen leaving is Patton, you know of any others?

17 minutes ago, AUJarhead said:

Will really be interesting to see how the portal and the extra year impacts recruiting for the classes of 2022 and 2023.  It's already significantly impacted 2021.

None that I know of,  but that could def change over the next couple of weeks.

The Texas assistant women's BB coaches appear to be well compensated based on the few salaries I have seen for assistant D1 schools.  Harris had a base salary of $300,000; the highest of the assistants.  I doubt AU would budget for her to bring one of the other Texas assistants if even a consideration. 

7 hours ago, slot canyon said:

The Texas assistant women's BB coaches appear to be well compensated based on the few salaries I have seen for assistant D1 schools.  Harris had a base salary of $300,000; the highest of the assistants.  I doubt AU would budget for her to bring one of the other Texas assistants if even a consideration. 

Yes.  I'm certain Vic Shaefer negotiated staff compensation when he told Texas what it would take to get him to Austin.  They were willing to pay him just about anything and he was able to basically give them a number. Texas paid him a base of $1.8 million, plus $300,000 moving bonus, plus an additional $200,000 end of year bonus. That is correct... he will make $2.3 million this year.

We now know the rest of the story with Rice coach Tina Langley.  She accepted the Washington Head Coach position today, after declining Auburn's offer Friday.  Auburn likely offered more money, but Washington is an easier re-build. 

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31199869/washington-huskies-hire-rice-owls-tina-langley-new-women-basketball-coach

Edited by AU9377
  • Thanks 4

12 hours ago, AU9377 said:

We now know the rest of the story with Rice coach Tina Langley.  She accepted the Washington Head Coach position today, after declining Auburn's offer Friday.  Auburn likely offered more money, but Washington is an easier re-build. 

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31199869/washington-huskies-hire-rice-owls-tina-langley-new-women-basketball-coach

If Langley was AG's first choice, we can now see how the 2 coaches Langley and Harris compare over the next few years.

Washington and Auburn both have been pretty bad the last 4 years. Prior to that Washington had some real success going to the FF and S16 under the prior coach who is now at Arkansas....

35 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

If Langley was AG's first choice, we can now see how the 2 coaches Langley and Harris compare over the next few years.

Washington and Auburn both have been pretty bad the last 4 years. Prior to that Washington had some real success going to the FF and S16 under the prior coach who is now at Arkansas....

They haven't had a lot of success on the court, but their roster includes 7 ESPN top 100 recruits 6 four stars and 1 five star.  They have some size and were recruited to run a system similar to the one that Langley coaches.

In contrast, we have 1 ESPN top 100 player and 5 JUCO transfers. Johnnie has her work cut out for her with the transfer portal.

2 hours ago, AU9377 said:

They haven't had a lot of success on the court, but their roster includes 7 ESPN top 100 recruits 6 four stars and 1 five star.  They have some size and were recruited to run a system similar to the one that Langley coaches.

In contrast, we have 1 ESPN top 100 player and 5 JUCO transfers. Johnnie has her work cut out for her with the transfer portal.

I knew we were gutted, after Flo changed directions multiple times on the kind of players she needed causing a mass exodus of good players, and scrounging to bring in JUCOs and transfers. 

We are told that is  a major strength for her so that helps. Now it will be if we get them, how soon, and then finding out how well Harris is at on court coaching and strategy, the one area she has no major experience.

• Like 1

I trust Green to have done his homework, but as many have said, I am concerned she has not run a program.   

Even Joe Ciampi had 2-3  yrs HC experience at the D1 level before coming to Auburn.  He went to the final 4, like 4 times.    

I guess if no HC experience is required,  she looks to be as good as it gets.   

On 4/3/2021 at 11:13 AM, WarEagle2423 said:

Kinda disappointed at first glance just based off some of the names that were brought up, tbh. But we’ll see how it works! Maybe she’ll be a star! 

Be quiet this is the best hire we could ever get she is going to turn us into a National Championship contender one day do you want that I do she will do great things at Auburn just like she did at Texas, NC State, Arkansas, Mississippi State, Texas A&M we should be perfect yes I think we will be contenders next year like 7-5 in the SEC next year but the next year we take the next step and with in three years I think we will I believe we will be Competing for National Championships at Auburn.

On 4/4/2021 at 10:35 PM, Mikey said:

I'm a little nervous about her never having been a head coach. Other than that, what's not to like? I'm happy with the hire, at least until I see the product she puts on the court.

Relax bro we will win National Championships not next year but two years from now we will be completing for them

On 4/7/2021 at 10:01 AM, Beaker said:

I trust Green to have done his homework, but as many have said, I am concerned she has not run a program.   

Even Joe Ciampi had 2-3  yrs HC experience at the D1 level before coming to Auburn.  He went to the final 4, like 4 times.    

I guess if no HC experience is required,  she looks to be as good as it gets.   

She’s a goat

On 4/6/2021 at 1:36 PM, steeleagle said:

I knew we were gutted, after Flo changed directions multiple times on the kind of players she needed causing a mass exodus of good players, and scrounging to bring in JUCOs and transfers. 

We are told that is  a major strength for her so that helps. Now it will be if we get them, how soon, and then finding out how well Harris is at on court coaching and strategy, the one area she has no major experience.

We need some power five players to transfer in to Auburn

• Like 1

On 4/6/2021 at 10:26 AM, steeleagle said:

We got the better Coach I believe it

• Thanks 1

On 4/5/2021 at 11:43 AM, AUJarhead said:

When did Patton is leaving?

On 4/5/2021 at 2:27 PM, slot canyon said:

I vote Sam Purcell as a assistant coach 

6 hours ago, Kasey Dunaway2021 said:

I vote Sam Purcell as a assistant coach 

That would likely be a popular choice but unlikely a coach would add someone who was rumored to be a candidate for the same position and basically a lateral move for that coach.

3 hours ago, slot canyon said:

That would likely be a popular choice but unlikely a coach would add someone who was rumored to be a candidate for the same position and basically a lateral move for that coach.

Well she mentioned Recruiting and we want the best recruits

4 hours ago, slot canyon said:

We also have little reason to believe that he would want the job.  He is currently being considered by other major programs for their open HC position.  If he was interested, I'm all for it, due to the energy and enthusiasm he brings to any program.  However, Johnnie will likely be hesitant to bring someone in that has the ability to outshine the HC.

8 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

We also have little reason to believe that he would want the job.  He is currently being considered by other major programs for their open HC position.  If he was interested, I'm all for it, due to the energy and enthusiasm he brings to any program.  However, Johnnie will likely be hesitant to bring someone in that has the ability to outshine the HC.

...And more than likely would be a short timer, as he would leave fairly quickly if offered again next year. I don't see him coming either.

I feel that with her long career in recruiting, she has an idea who are the other AC out there that would be a good recruiters she wants on staff and help with coaching.

She probably is looking for someone like she was following in the footsteps of Vic and others.