Johnnie Harris named women's coach

So far we have only added one transfer guard to the roster.  But the other thing we have added is quality coaches who know how to look at the players they have a design an offense that fits the players. The last few years under the old regime we didn't have an offensive philosophy just a defensive philosophy that we hoped we could get steals and disrupt and score from our D. There is nothing wrong with that type of defensive philosophy if you have the players who can execute it and also who buy into it. But that defensive philosophy also needs an offensive philosophy for when you don't get the steal and easy basket after. We didn't have that under old regime. Will we win a lot of games next year with basically same players, I don't know but I do believe we will be more competitive just because of the coaching change.

That is 1st step in helping recruit better players when they see something on the floor that resembles a real basketball philosophy both on D and O.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

30 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

What's her name 

April Hooks. From Birmingham, her dad is from Florence. His name is Wyatt.

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, cole256 said:

How would you rate her skill level? She getting a lot of offers? 

On 6/25/2021 at 5:15 PM, cole256 said:

I’d love if we at least become the reverse Alabama men’s basketball program, and great state (then hopefully, regional) talent feel like they can succeed here. 

On 6/25/2021 at 5:15 PM, cole256 said:

I went out and Googles her found Max Preps at Hewitt-Trussville HS is that your cousin? Says she is Guard 5'8" and class of 2023. No other information so waiting on your evaluation. Also how does she like the new staff? 

• 2 months later...

We got to get more size 6’2 isn’t big enough we need 6’6 6’7 girls that are going else where to come play for us we got a winning coach now we got a transfer from Mississippi State Iona and a community college all G/F we got two freshman we got three spots left we need to go after more size and shooting 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kasey Dunaway2021 said:

We got to get more size 6’2 isn’t big enough we need 6’6 6’7 girls that are going else where to come play for us we got a winning coach now we got a transfer from Mississippi State Iona and a community college all G/F we got two freshman we got three spots left we need to go after more size and shooting 

I agree

4 hours ago, Kasey Dunaway2021 said:

Holy run on sentence.  Do you not know how to use punctuation and actually form a complete sentence?  That's bad.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, WarTiger said:

Holy run on sentence.  Do you not know how to use punctuation and actually form a complete sentence?  That's bad.

Fifty’s cousin.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

so where do we keep up with womens basketball? i never see any articles.

43 minutes ago, warladytigers said:

Do we know if Precious attended practice at Texas and would have to sit out or is she eligible immediately?

She will join the team for practice in December. Unfortunately, she will not be able to play until next season.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Some interesting cuts from an article from SI.com dated Oct 14, 2021 as related to CJH and the Mississippi State program.

"The women’s basketball world was rocked this week following the news of Nikki McCray-Penson’s resignation. In what was supposed to be a bounce-back year for the Bulldogs, McCray won’t be around to see the product of her hard work. McCray stepped away, citing health reasons. 

Just one short season ago, there wasn’t a better job opening in college basketball. Fans consistently supported the program, especially following multiple Final Four runs. Now, following a 10-9 season, the job is opened yet again, and will be incredibly more difficult to fill. To add insult to injury, Johnnie Harris, who was a favorite by fans to land the job a year ago, was named the head coach at Auburn this past off-season." 

The article listed about 5 possible candidates and then concluded:

"There are two names that are being tossed around that seem hard to imagine: Blair Schaefer and Johnnie Harris. Both would be incredible hires, in their own respective way, but here is why they just don’t work. Harris finally jumped on a job in which she felt comfortable with. She built up a staff and now has valuable relationships with a team she rebuilt in a short time frame. Auburn seems like home for her for now, and her jumping ship seems far from possible. Cohen making a call wouldn’t surprise anyone, but her saying yes would surprise many."

• Like 1

On 12/17/2021 at 8:23 AM, slot canyon said:

Some interesting cuts from an article from SI.com dated Oct 14, 2021 as related to CJH and the Mississippi State program.

"The women’s basketball world was rocked this week following the news of Nikki McCray-Penson’s resignation. In what was supposed to be a bounce-back year for the Bulldogs, McCray won’t be around to see the product of her hard work. McCray stepped away, citing health reasons. 

Just one short season ago, there wasn’t a better job opening in college basketball. Fans consistently supported the program, especially following multiple Final Four runs. Now, following a 10-9 season, the job is opened yet again, and will be incredibly more difficult to fill. To add insult to injury, Johnnie Harris, who was a favorite by fans to land the job a year ago, was named the head coach at Auburn this past off-season." 

The article listed about 5 possible candidates and then concluded:

"There are two names that are being tossed around that seem hard to imagine: Blair Schaefer and Johnnie Harris. Both would be incredible hires, in their own respective way, but here is why they just don’t work. Harris finally jumped on a job in which she felt comfortable with. She built up a staff and now has valuable relationships with a team she rebuilt in a short time frame. Auburn seems like home for her for now, and her jumping ship seems far from possible. Cohen making a call wouldn’t surprise anyone, but her saying yes would surprise many."

Blair Schaefer's name coming up is interesting.  She was a solid player but she's never actually coached anywhere....YET.   Her first head coaching job being an SEC head coach would be a major stretch.   I would think any program in the SEC would want someone with experience as a coach(even just as an assistant). I get she's a former player there and all, but if she even wants to be a head coach she's going to have to work her way up the ladder, IMO.   

When she did some games for the SEC network, she was fantastic.  She was knowledgable, very well spoken, very impartial and just seemed like a natural on the microphone.  I was really hoping she would be in broadcasting for a while because, IMO, she was the best "analyst" the SEC network had. 

45 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

Blair Schaefer's name coming up is interesting.  She was a solid player but she's never actually coached anywhere....YET.   Her first head coaching job being an SEC head coach would be a major stretch.   I would think any program in the SEC would want someone with experience as a coach(even just as an assistant). I get she's a former player there and all, but if she even wants to be a head coach she's going to have to work her way up the ladder, IMO.   

When she did some games for the SEC network, she was fantastic.  She was knowledgable, very well spoken, very impartial and just seemed like a natural on the microphone.  I was really hoping she would be in broadcasting for a while because, IMO, she was the best "analyst" the SEC network had. 

For the writer to even sneak her name into the conversation was a major stretch and to insinuate that she would be an "incredible hire" shows why he is a writer and not a college AD.  Placing an untested coach into such a high-profile coaching position would seem to have a very unfavorable risk/reward ratio.

• 1 month later...

Women's BB lost at home to Bama today. Really thought they would pickup their 1st SEC victory since they played them so close in T-Town. Going to be a long haul to rebuild this shattered program.

• Like 2

Real Jimmy and Joes vs Xs and Os game 

They had to beat a zone with virtually no outside shooting, or at least individuals that could create a three point shot. I congratulate the coach for doing as wel as she did 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

Women's BB lost at home to Bama today. Really thought they would pickup their 1st SEC victory since they played them so close in T-Town. Going to be a long haul to rebuild this shattered program.

Darn, we were leading at the half and I didn't get to watch the 2nd. I was SO hoping we could win that one.

They’ve just been so totally swamped by the men’s success that I kinda feel bad. Maybe we can ride that wave in to some recruiting success and get the wbball program built back up. 

27 minutes ago, Grumps said:

Darn, we were leading at the half and I didn't get to watch the 2nd. I was SO hoping we could win that one.

We were leading up until about 5-6 minutes in the 4th. We went over 5 minutes (or something similar) without a bucket. Team just doesn't have the talent to compete at a high level but we'll get there before long.

1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

They’ve just been so totally swamped by the men’s success that I kinda feel bad. Maybe we can ride that wave in to some recruiting success and get the wbball program built back up. 

It's a gradual progression. They got some gals who seem like they'll pan out. Hughes (from the previous regime) seems pretty smart, esp offensively. Precious, the Texas transfer, is a giant, but is still learning how to use that frame it feels like. Aicha was a great get. I've loved Gaines in the couple times i've gotten to see her.

I think developing is more important than recruiting for this upcoming season (not to pretend as if they're the crown jewel of talent though).