Johnnie Harris named women's coach

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

...And more than likely would be a short timer, as he would leave fairly quickly if offered again next year. I don't see him coming either.

I feel that with her long career in recruiting, she has an idea who are the other AC out there that would be a good recruiters she wants on staff and help with coaching.

She probably is looking for someone like she was following in the footsteps of Vic and others.

I would love to see her hire a former head coach.  Someone like Holly Warlick or Melanie Balcomb.. the list is long of coaches that have a lot to offer, but don't really want all that comes with being the HC.  Lots of successful HCs have done that and benefited from their experience.

2 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I would love to see her hire a former head coach.  Someone like Holly Warlick or Melanie Balcomb.. the list is long of coaches that have a lot to offer, but don't really want all that comes with being the HC.  Lots of successful HCs have done that and benefited from their experience.

What are your thoughts about holding onto Coach Garcia?

9 hours ago, AUJarhead said:

She has a fairly good reputation as a recruiter. The fact that we haven't been able to hang on to those recruits after they get on campus isn't on her.  I feel like we need a clean slate, but I don't know coach Garcia personally, so I don't really have a way to  gauge what retaining her brings to the table.  I do feel like some of the recruits she brought in would have stayed had they been better coached and been in a system that could have developed them as players.

What are your thoughts?

9 hours ago, AU9377 said:

What are your thoughts?

I like her. Like you said, excellent recruiter. I know the interactions she’s had with my daughter have been positive. Both elite camps my daughter attended, Coach Garcia really went out of her way to say hi to my daughter. My daughter had begun sending/texting her game film around December, but I think coach Garcia knew the writing was on the wall, honestly. 

I can also see the value in a clean slate. I just know with the transfers we had last year, we need a really good recruiter (really three really good recruiters).

I didn’t realize the sheer volume of turnover/movement in the assistant coaching world until my family started having interactions with them. Coaches we’ve spoken to have moved schools, one staff the head coach retired and the recruiting coach then took a high school job. It’s crazy. 

• Like 2

I’ll add that my favorite assistant under Coach Flo was Coach Walters, who left Auburn 2 years ago to go to Bama and is now at UNC. 

21 hours ago, AUJarhead said:

I also think it's a good thing for Coach Harris to maybe keep at least 1 assistant on staff that may have had already established connections w/ HS coaches throughout the SE and especially in Alabama and Ga, and so many of them are signing w other schools. 

something similar to Coach Harsin keeping Carnell on, I think more for his connections he had already established, and at a critical position as RB...

On 4/9/2021 at 11:55 AM, AU9377 said:

We also have little reason to believe that he would want the job.  He is currently being considered by other major programs for their open HC position.  If he was interested, I'm all for it, due to the energy and enthusiasm he brings to any program.  However, Johnnie will likely be hesitant to bring someone in that has the ability to outshine the HC.

Well the UCcon Coach assistant daily outshines everyone

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I also think it's a good thing for Coach Harris to maybe keep at least 1 assistant on staff that may have had already established connections w/ HS coaches throughout the SE and especially in Alabama and Ga, and so many of them are signing w other schools. 

something similar to Coach Harsin keeping Carnell on, I think more for his connections he had already established, and at a critical position as RB...

I can see that, but one of my problems with TWF the entire time she was here was that she ignored, for the most part, our recruiting footprint.  The first thing we have to do is get back into competing for AL, GA & FL pan handle student athletes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kasey Dunaway2021 said:

Well the UCcon Coach assistant daily outshines everyone

Why would she come to East Alabama?

9 hours ago, AU9377 said:

I can see that, but one of my problems with TWF the entire time she was here was that she ignored, for the most part, our recruiting footprint.  The first thing we have to do is get back into competing for AL, GA & FL pan handle student athletes.

I think we need to go recruit out west I want at few ladies I love to see in Auburn Uniform and they are both 6’7

7 hours ago, Kasey Dunaway2021 said:

I think we need to go recruit out west I want at few ladies I love to see in Auburn Uniform and they are both 6’7

First, let's try to keep 5* players from Montgomery from going to FSU. We can worry about "out west" after we solve that problem.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Mikey said:

First, let's try to keep 5* players from Montgomery from going to FSU. We can worry about "out west" after we solve that problem.

AMEN TO THAT!!!

So of the five Power 5 jobs that opened, three were filled by head coaches from mid major programs (Wisconsin/Mosely, Washington/Langley, and Oklahoma/Baranczyk) and the other two were filled by long time assistant coaches from what I'd call elite type teams (Auburn/Harris and Vanderbilt/Ralph).

Of all the non-Auburn hires, I know the most about Baranczyk, who was head coach at Drake before taking the OU job.  Good hire for Vandy, too, I think.  Shea Ralph had been at UCONN for 13 years as an assistant.

Will be interesting to see how they all pan out.  And what dominoes fall now that all the power 5 jobs are filled - still 22 mid-major head coaching jobs to fill, and how all this will shake out in the form of Auburn assistants.

25 minutes ago, AUJarhead said:

So of the five Power 5 jobs that opened, three were filled by head coaches from mid major programs (Wisconsin/Mosely, Washington/Langley, and Oklahoma/Baranczyk) and the other two were filled by long time assistant coaches from what I'd call elite type teams (Auburn/Harris and Vanderbilt/Ralph).

Of all the non-Auburn hires, I know the most about Baranczyk, who was head coach at Drake before taking the OU job.  Good hire for Vandy, too, I think.  Shea Ralph had been at UCONN for 13 years as an assistant.

Will be interesting to see how they all pan out.  And what dominoes fall now that all the power 5 jobs are filled - still 22 mid-major head coaching jobs to fill, and how all this will shake out in the form of Auburn assistants.

I have no idea how it will work out in the long run, but Vanderbilt knocked it out of the park with this hire. I would rank the hires as follows...

1. Washington - Tina Langley

2. Vanderbilt - Shea Ralph

3. Oklahoma - Baranczyk

4. Auburn - Johnnie Harris

5. UTSA - Karen Aston

Edited by AU9377

1 hour ago, slot canyon said:

Good, young, up and coming assistant. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Not bad on the eyes as well

I have to admit I thought the same thing when I saw her picture, more importantly I think she is an up and coming coach who will help get Auburn back to where  were in the Ciampi days. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I have to admit I thought the same thing when I saw her picture, more importantly I think she is an up and coming coach who will help get Auburn back to where  were in the Ciampi days. 

Agree

5 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Not bad on the eyes as well

Does this mean you will be getting season tickets for front row seats directly behind the Auburn bench?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

Does this mean you will be getting season tickets for front row seats directly behind the Auburn bench?

If I lived in Auburn damn straight I would right behind where she sits:wub:

• Like 1