Johnnie Harris named women's coach

18 hours ago, AUBwins said:

She is originally from Louisiana.  Likely the only place she'd consider leaving Baylor for.  Darn lucky corndogs.

She played at La Tech when they were one of the best women's programs in the country.  The biggest mistake ever made was La Tech passing on her to be their head coach years ago.  Her son played baseball at LSU.  IF she is interested, something has pissed her off at Baylor.

On 4/21/2021 at 11:40 AM, AU9377 said:

She played at La Tech when they were one of the best women's programs in the country.  The biggest mistake ever made was La Tech passing on her to be their head coach years ago.  Her son played baseball at LSU.  IF she is interested, something has pissed her off at Baylor.

Hearing that it's going to be official tomorrow.  Huge hire for the corndogs.

• Angry 1

7 hours ago, AUJarhead said:

Must of made a "Strong a** offer"

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2021 at 10:38 AM, AU9377 said:

We couldn't get the Rice coach, who was born and raised in Alabama and graduated from West Alabama.  She chose the Washington job.  Oklahoma hired the Drake coach.  I can't remember the last time an SEC school hired a P5 coach from another conference to coach their women's basketball team.

It just hit me... bama hired Kristi Curry while she was at Texas Tech.  That technically qualifies, but that hire was more of a bunt than a home run.

I agree why did we not go after the Baylor women’s basketball coach it’s kinda stupid now the SEC women’s basketball is going to be so hard It’s not fair I’m tired of sec women’s basketball it’s to hard to win now with South Carolina Tennessee and LSU and Georgia now ugh why 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kasey Dunaway2021 said:

I agree why did we not go after the Baylor women’s basketball coach it’s kinda stupid now the SEC women’s basketball is going to be so hard It’s not fair I’m tired of sec women’s basketball it’s to hard to win now with South Carolina Tennessee and LSU and Georgia now ugh why 

How do you know we didn't?

Why would we go after this coach who would have never left Baylor until LSU’s coach stepped down and the Baylor coach was a LA native and her son played for LSU. Did u miss the memo?

auburn would have wasted time even thinking about the Baylor coach. 

Where was it said Mulkey had any interest in the Auburn job?

Mulkey had ZERO interest in the Auburn job.  There is a list of reasons why she was interested in LSU.

1. Her mother lives in Hammond, LA.  2. She already has 16 years in the Louisiana retirement system.  This contract will add 8 more and she will retire with a monster pension, in addition to her Baylor pension. 3. Louisiana native and ready for another challenge. 4. LSU was willing to do whatever it took to bring her to LSU.  Not only is she making close to $3 million/yr, but she will be provided a new automobile for use yearly, a $50,000 moving allowance, a corporate apt in Baton Rouge for 3 months, and an $80,000 yearly personal travel allowance that she can spend any way she chooses.  We have a coach.  I like Mulkey, but there is no reason to believe that we can't be a top tier SEC team under Johnnie.  Time will tell.

6 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Mulkey had ZERO interest in the Auburn job.  There is a list of reasons why she was interested in LSU.

1. Her mother lives in Hammond, LA.  2. She already has 16 years in the Louisiana retirement system.  This contract will add 8 more and she will retire with a monster pension, in addition to her Baylor pension. 3. Louisiana native and ready for another challenge. 4. LSU was willing to do whatever it took to bring her to LSU.  Not only is she making close to $3 million/yr, but she will be provided a new automobile for use yearly, a $50,000 moving allowance, a corporate apt in Baton Rouge for 3 months, and an $80,000 yearly personal travel allowance that she can spend any way she chooses.  We have a coach.  I like Mulkey, but there is no reason to believe that we can't be a top tier SEC team under Johnnie.  Time will tell.

We want to win National Championship and more than one we want to be like South Carolina or Better one day

12 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Why would we go after this coach who would have never left Baylor until LSU’s coach stepped down and the Baylor coach was a LA native and her son played for LSU. Did u miss the memo?

auburn would have wasted time even thinking about the Baylor coach. 

No we wouldn’t have I would have offered her the job

On 4/22/2021 at 3:25 PM, AUJarhead said:

Well now they have a quicker shot on winning the National Championship then we do that’s the problem but we do have a better overall staff depends on who she hires

2 hours ago, Kasey Dunaway2021 said:

Well now they have a quicker shot on winning the National Championship then we do that’s the problem but we do have a better overall staff depends on who she hires

We will see who she hires.  I'd expect a lot of movement on the head coaching open jobs that remain and assistant jobs that are open this week, Women's basketball has a recruiting shutdown from today until 5/10.

5 hours ago, Kasey Dunaway2021 said:

We didn’t offer so maybe that’s why she didn’t show interest 

Glad to know you spoke with her personally and know all this. Then told Greene. Apparently he didn't believe you.

• Like 1

Regardless of who may have been offered, or who someone thinks should have been offered, or who may have been offered but did not accept, dealing with what I believe is factual; Johnnie Harris is our new WBB coach.  She has announced 3 members to her staff.  I am especially excited about the addition of Bob Starkey.  Look forward to seeing what they can accomplish in the highly competitive SEC.  Takes some guts and confidence to throw your hat in the ring for the AU job where the performance has been so poor as of late.  

• Like 3

Former Auburn Assistant Clarisse Garcia hired as Head Coach at Charleston Southern. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2021 at 9:18 PM, AUJarhead said:

Former Auburn Assistant Clarisse Garcia hired as Head Coach at Charleston Southern. 

That’s awesome!! So Proud for her!!! We need to schedule home and home game series vs Charleston Southern let’s go!!!!!

Nice interview from 1 year ago after following Coach Schaefer to Texas.  Talks about some of the issues involved in making the move during the COVID period.  Seems to have a passion for recruiting.  Basically stated she would only leave Coach Schaefer for the "right head coaching position".  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2021 at 9:18 PM, AUJarhead said:

Completely unrelated to ball but probably the most attractive basketball coach I’ve seen. Wish her the best!