Johnnie Harris named women's coach

Lady Tigers up 11 against #4 Tennessee at halftime. Auburn has fought and battled all year but hasn't been able to pull out the W. Hopefully they don't fade away and get it tonight. Would be a HUGE win!

Auburn up by 3 with 6 minutes to go. Dylan Cardwell is in the building cheering on the team. KD was the celebrity "N"!

Up 6 with 2:26 left! Jabari and Wendell in the crowd as well.

Edited by tgrogan21
  • Like 1

went with her girls to the corner, stayed for a while, helped roll the trees and all that, took pictures with folks. ADAG isn't shooting 100% from the field, but he has ALOT more wins than people give him credit for 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

ADAG isn't shooting 100% from the field, but he has ALOT more wins than people give him credit for 

Yep, give credit where credit is due, and hiring CJH was a good decision!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

went with her girls to the corner, stayed for a while, helped roll the trees and all that, took pictures with folks. ADAG isn't shooting 100% from the field, but he has ALOT more wins than people give him credit for 

I am one of his fans, Harris I believe will turn out to be a Home Run hire, The new volleyball coach has us going in the right direction as does the new swimming coach. Basketball and volleyball really did not have a lot of SEC talent when these coaches arrived and swimming was back of the pack SEC talent and all are getting better.  It will take time  but I expect all to get us where we want to be at top or near the top. 

Congratulation to Coach Harris and the Auburn women's basketball team on a great victory.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I had a brief conversation with a relative of Kentucky transfer Treasure Hunt today. She played an integral part of the Wildcats SEC Tournament Championship this season. I asked if she had chosen her new school yet and she said she is still looking, but Auburn is definitely in the conversation. She said Treasure nearly chose Auburn over Kentucky the first time. She is also looking at UCF and Arizona State. I told her I thought Coach Walker was starting to build some momentum with the big wins over Tennessee and Georgia last year, not to mention a stellar staff that is starting to come together, and she agreed. I said it would be pretty exciting if she chose Auburn, and with the distance between here and Auburn compared to the other schools, she made me think it would be as well.

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

Don't know if this has been reported on the forum but I just realized that Bob Starkey (assistant coach) is now the associate head coach at LSU, having taken that position in April.  LSU women's BB was 13 - 3 in conference last year and thought enough of Coach Starkey to offer the Associate HC position.  I consider this a big loss for the AU porgram.  Damitria Buchanan has been promoted to Associate HC at AU

https://auburnwire.usatoday.com/2022/04/13/auburn-basketball-bob-starkey-womens-assistant-lsu-tigers-kim-mulkey/

Don't know if this has been reported on the forum but I just realized that Bob Starkey (assistant coach) is now the associate head coach at LSU, having taken that position in April.  LSU women's BB was 13 - 3 in conference last year and thought enough of Coach Starkey to offer the Associate HC position.  I consider this a big loss for the AU porgram.  Damitria Buchanan has been promoted to Associate HC at AU

https://auburnwire.usatoday.com/2022/04/13/auburn-basketball-bob-starkey-womens-assistant-lsu-tigers-kim-mulkey/

You are quite correct, it's a serious loss for AU. I don't know why we didn't hear more about this move before now?

We made a great hire in Fred Williams but I don’t know when he’ll come to campus.

That likely would have been a good hire but he apparently decided to stay with WNBA LA Sparks.  On the surface, I would guess this is a set-back program wise to lose Starkey and then what would appear to have been a good replacement.  You are right Mikey, not much in the way of visibility regarding this "story".

https://www.swishappeal.com/wnba/2022/6/8/23160108/los-angeles-sparks-interim-head-coach-fred-williams-derek-fisher-fired-news-wnba

That likely would have been a good hire but he apparently decided to stay with WNBA LA Sparks.  On the surface, I would guess this is a set-back program wise to lose Starkey and then what would appear to have been a good replacement.  You are right Mikey, not much in the way of visibility regarding this "story".

https://www.swishappeal.com/wnba/2022/6/8/23160108/los-angeles-sparks-interim-head-coach-fred-williams-derek-fisher-fired-news-wnba

It references in that article that he could still be coming after the WNBA season is finished which should be around the end of September.

Edited by blakem

It references in that article that he could still be coming after the WNBA season is finished which should be around the end of September.

You may be correct and I hope that is the case.  I could not understand why they have Buchanan listed as the associate HC.  Info from the AU announcement I believe supports your post.  Also, currently the AU BB site does not show Bob Starkey on the staff last season as far as I can tell.  Did he get vaporized?

Veteran WNBA coach Fred Williams joins Auburn women's basketball staff - Auburn University Athletics (auburntigers.com)

You may be correct and I hope that is the case.  I could not understand why they have Buchanan listed as the associate HC.  Info from the AU announcement I believe supports your post.  Also, currently the AU BB site does not show Bob Starkey on the staff last season as far as I can tell.  Did he get vaporized?

Veteran WNBA coach Fred Williams joins Auburn women's basketball staff - Auburn University Athletics (auburntigers.com)

I think it’s almost customary now to completely wipe coaches off of everything.

Starkey took a job with Mulkey at LSU. He’s been there before. Said he loved his time at AU, and LSU is the only job he would’ve left for. It is my understanding that his wife’s health isn’t great, and this move allows them to be closer to family and friends. 

Edited by all4AU
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Starkey took a job with Mulkey at LSU. He’s been there before. Said he loved his time at AU, and LSU is the only job he would’ve left for. It is my understanding that his wife’s health isn’t great, and this move allows them to be closer to family and friends. 

I totally understand wanting to be closer to family and friends when wife is ill. I will pray for her recovery.

• Like 1