women’s Recruiting and Staff

Yesterday Coach Harris was announced as the New Head Coach of Auburn Women’s Basketball team. Now it’s time to turn to putting a Great staff together that can develop and recruit there are so many names out there that would love to coach under Coach Harris speaking of Sam Purcell assistant coach at Louisville and others. And recruiting it’s time to get big time recruits Coach Harris did it at Arkansas, North Carolina State, Mississippi State, Texas I believe she will bring Auburn back to greatness again. We will now need to focus on getting big time transfers this year and filling out the next year team around Scott Grayson not Junco transfers that didn’t help us we need Big time power five transfers to come in now is the time now is the time to win. War Eagle 🦅 

I'm guessing that Johnnie held their first off season practice session and she is still in shock after realizing that she inherited a varsity team from a AA school.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

• WarTiger changed the title to women’s Basketball Recruiting and Staff

Johnnie Harris has landed her first commitment as a head coach, a transfer guard from a familiar place in Harris’ coaching career. 

Xaria Wiggins announced that she was transferring to Auburn from Mississippi State on Friday via a post on her Twitter.

Wiggins will reunite with Harris, who was an associate coach at Mississippi State from 2012-2020.

Hailing from Virginia Beach, Virginia, Wiggins was ranked as the No. 54 high school prospect in her class by ESPN.

In the summer of 2019, Wiggins was a part of the USA Team that won a silver medal at the World University Games. She scored in double figures in five out of the seven contests in the event, ranking third on the team in scoring.

At Mississippi State, the 6-foot-1 guard played mostly off the bench, starting four games in her three years with the Bulldogs. 

She was limited this past season due to injury, only appearing in 11 games before entering the transfer portal after her junior year.

Wiggins played an average of 12.1 minutes per game during her three years as a Bulldog, averaging 3.4 points, 1.4 rebounds and 0.9 assists per game.

If Wiggins is healthy she will be a great pickup a guard with good size who can score and provide veteran leadership. She is the type of player we need to get to allow us a chance of any type of decent showing next year. Staff is already doing some work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

AU Podcast with WBB Associate HC Bob Starkey.  Very well done and extremely insightful.  Interesting stories about how he was inspired to get into coaching, his early jobs where a portion of his salary was a dorm room and a meal ticket, coaching both men's and women's BB, turning away from a chance to become HC of LSU WBB, stories about Shaquille O'Neal, things he admires about Coach Harris and so forth.  He mentions the coaches and players promoting the program with the fans and community and they may do some things like dinners and open practice.  I can assure you that after listening to the podcast, my wife and I would drive from B'ham to attend the open practice and I have a feeling there would be more fans in attendance than at a regular season conference game last year.  Worth while listen in my opinion.

https://audioboom.com/posts/7880223-talking-tigers-podcast-bob-starkey

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, blakem said:

I know we are needing some inside help. Bachus fits that with her strengths being rebounding and D. Not so much offense, but can improve. And she is a state player. 

One concern...she has had 2 ACL injuries in 7th and 9th grades of all places...

Good pickup with some risk because of the previous injuries. From what I have read because of the injuries since she couldn't do any contact work she worked on her jump shot and that it improved a good bit.  She works hard on D and the boards, if she stays healthy and keeps working on her offensive game she could be a big help to this Auburn team. As far as Auburn was behind in recruiting this was a risk well worth taking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We head to Louisville tomorrow to play in Run 4 Roses. In 2019, three Auburn coaches attended. Something like 700 college coaches out scouting, games played on 68 courts, and over 900 teams are scheduled to attend. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • WarTiger changed the title to women’s Recruiting and Staff
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...