2021 Leading Receiver?

Zeek

Who do you think will lead the team in receiving yards? Touchdowns? Yards per catch? Catches?

Just trying to find something to discuss during the dry season!

I don't even have a guess at this point.  We don't have a single experiences WR (no Jackson doensn't count).

Is Shenker our returning leader in catches?

I’m liking JJ (Javarious sp? Johnson) a lot and he’s getting a lotta love in spring camp.

• WarTiger changed the title to 2021 Leading Receiver?
4 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I don't even have a guess at this point.  We don't have a single experiences WR (no Jackson doensn't count).

Is Shenker our returning leader in catches?

I think he might be... not sure but I knew at some point

3 hours ago, toddc said:

I’m liking JJ (Javarious sp? Johnson) a lot and he’s getting a lotta love in spring camp.

Could see him being a slot type quick WR and pile up catches

Not sure if we have room, but I'd like to add a Vet WR from the portal.  OL/RB might be a higher priority, can't remember if we have 2 or 3 slots left.

It would be good to have a guy to help the other kids.  I really like the talent we have a WR (Not sure how Kodi/Gus consistently brought in good WRs with their scheme), but the lack of experience is a bit concerning

17 hours ago, toddc said:

Hope you're right.

Have to say I'm a little gun shy in looking forward to a spring standout.

How many years have we heard such, only have them disappear in the Fall?

Capers seems like he might be as close as we have to an all purpose receiver a la Seth. Hudson and Canion might fit that bill, too.

Also extremely excited to hear Javy Johnson getting some love. I think he has potential to be a more physical Ryan Davis. I could see him leading in catches. 

I'll go Johnson for catches, Capers for touchdowns, and Hudson for yards.

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

the lack of experience is a bit concerning

Indeed, but I feel like WR is a position where experience matters a little less than it does at some other positions. Also, while the game experience isn't there, we won't be relying on actual true freshmen. The guys who will compose the meat of the WR corps have already gotten all the non-FB related stuff of a first year of college out of the way. By now we probably have a good idea that these guys are workers, are somewhat coachable, don't have major off-field issues, aren't struggling to adapt to college life, aren't overly homesick, etc. I realize that's reaching when it comes to on-field production but it's not nothing IMO. And Capers, Hudson and Canion do have some real game experience. 

And, fwiw, they practice against one of the top 3 or 4 secondaries in the SEC.

16 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Hope you're right.

True, but there's something different this spring.

I predict receiving yards, touchdowns, and catches leader will be either Johnson, Hudson, Caper, Canion, or Johnson.

4 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I predict receiving yards, touchdowns, and catches leader will be either Johnson, Hudson, Caper, Canion, or Johnson.

Good guess!!

9 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Wow!!

You're going out on a limb there!

Thanks for the insight.;D

20 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if it were Frazier, King, Pegues or Shenker. I'd be surprised, but not shocked.

59 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Hope you're right.

I almost went back and edited my post to say that but I believe something is different with this staff and what they let out about players.

I believe in this order who will be our leading receivers:

1. J Johnson, bc he will be the safety valve, and get open the most

2. A TE (don't know which one at this point),  Let's say Shenker

3. Capers (as long as he stays healthy). 

4. Tank or the Freshman RB, can't think of his name

5. Another WR could jump way up this chart, if that WR becomes a homerun threat, and we go to him more and more bc he can catch, out 50/50 a db. 

34 minutes ago, toddc said:

I almost went back and edited my post to say that but I believe something is different with this staff and what they let out about players.

Well, they have different names, so there's that. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

ndeed, but I feel like WR is a position where experience matters a little less than it does at some other positions. Also, while the game experience isn't there, we won't be relying on actual true freshmen. The guys who will compose the meat of the WR corps have already gotten all the non-FB related stuff of a first year of college out of the way. By now we probably have a good idea that these guys are workers, are somewhat coachable, don't have major off-field issues, aren't struggling to adapt to college life, aren't overly homesick, etc. I realize that's reaching when it comes to on-field production but it's not nothing IMO. And Capers, Hudson and Canion do have some real game experience. 

And, fwiw, they practice against one of the top 3 or 4 secondaries in the SEC.

Agree.  Pure talent can outside experience at a few spots.  WR/RB are probably the two.  Looking forward to have a competent sophisticated offense vs the HS bull**** the last 7 years.

With Shedrick Jackson injured and not taking part in contact this spring, Auburn’s most experienced receiver is Kobe Hudson. A true freshman last season, Hudson played in all 11 games and caught seven passes for 70 yards last season. With Ze'Vian Capers and Elijah Canionboth showing signs of promise last season, combining for 10 receptions, 157 yards and two touchdowns, there is talent on the roster when you throw in a player like second-year receiver Ja'Varrius Johnson stepping up his game this spring.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Auburn-football-Cornelius-Williams-Anthony-Schwartz-Seth-Williams-163702773/

1 hour ago, toddc said:

Hudson played in all 11 games and caught seven passes for 70 yards last season

I had no idea he played that much. Must be a hell of a blocker. And I'm not saying that as a shot at Gus. 

I get the gut feeling that this WR group is going to explode this year. Then there are all the big athletic TEs, they might even go crazy this year too. Nix has a lot to work with if he can consistently get them the ball. One of the main reasons for optimism though is that Harsin and Bobo are the ones utilizing these assets and putting the schemes on the field.  

Archived