Mississippi State series

31 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Just gonna drop this in here. Convince me to be optimistic about the direction of Auburn baseball.D968B0FA-DCAB-47AC-AF25-B353063DB49E.thumb.jpeg.0ee05f8993efab711de1a1caa805e2ac.jpeg

I don’t get it. You mean the epic rise from 2016 to 2019, the shortened 2020 season in which Auburn never played an SEC game, then one bad start to a 2021 SEC season? Come on, don’t start that. 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m disappointed with the way we are finding ways to lose games. I’m also willing to give Butch a pass for his first 1-2 years after the SG debacle. Having said that at some point you have to win games....or, at least, a game

1 hour ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I don’t get it. You mean the epic rise from 2016 to 2019, the shortened 2020 season in which Auburn never played an SEC game, then one bad start to a 2021 SEC season? Come on, don’t start that. 

I’m not seeing the epic rise you refer to. Throw out 2020. Butch’s first four 4 years he finished in the bottom half of the division 3 of them. Add this year where we are dead last, and he’s been 6th or worse in the SEC West 3 of his 5 seasons (excluding 2020 COVID) And once again, we see juniors and seniors regress from their first couple of years. Even more puzzling is that all the buzz about him when he was hired was his recruiting prowess and pitcher development. That’s not showing on the field. I’m not saying fire the guy. I like him and want him to succeed. But I believe it is fair to question the program’s direction at this point. 

2 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Awfully average over 5.5 seasons.

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

I’m not seeing the epic rise you refer to. Throw out 2020. Butch’s first four 4 years he finished in the bottom half of the division 3 of them. Add this year where we are dead last, and he’s been 6th or worse in the SEC West 3 of his 5 seasons (excluding 2020 COVID) And once again, we see juniors and seniors regress from their first couple of years. Even more puzzling is that all the buzz about him when he was hired was his recruiting prowess and pitcher development. That’s not showing on the field. I’m not saying fire the guy. I like him and want him to succeed. But I believe it is fair to question the program’s direction at this point. 

It is absolutely fair. 

Sometimes when I look at successful coaches, Like I do a QB who has that 'IT' factor, where they just know how to win, I apply the same thing to a HC.

In baseball ,i think it's harder to mold a team that is successful in the field, on the mound and at the plate. It takes a coach an ability to hire the right assistant coaches, that develop the players, and also have the mental toughness to excel at their position.

You can see it. Look at the Vandy coach, the FL coach, the Virginia coach, etc. They all have done it consistently, some the minute they took over the program and others who did it over time but sustained it.

Is Thompson still needing time? It is too early I think, and we must see how this year ends and how next year develops. He has had some success, now we are faltering. Is it temporary or the way it mostly will be for our baseball program?

17 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Not sure I’m measuring success by what we do in the SEC. Looking much more at how we fair in the national picture, and in that respect, we’ve become much more relevant under Butch than we have been the last couple decades. 

Unless a miracle happens, it'll be another sweep in SEC play. Gonzalez goes .2 innings and gives up 9 runs. Swilling comes in for relief and walks a batter, has a wild pitch, and gives up a run. 10-0 going to the bottom of the 1st.

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Sometimes when I look at successful coaches, Like I do a QB who has that 'IT' factor, where they just know how to win, I apply the same thing to a HC.

In baseball ,i think it's harder to mold a team that is successful in the field, on the mound and at the plate. It takes a coach an ability to hire the right assistant coaches, that develop the players, and also have the mental toughness to excel at their position.

You can see it. Look at the Vandy coach, the FL coach, the Virginia coach, etc. They all have done it consistently, some the minute they took over the program and others who did it over time but sustained it.

Is Thompson still needing time? It is too early I think, and we must see how this year ends and how next year develops. He has had some success, now we are faltering. Is it temporary or the way it mostly will be for our baseball program?

You forgot to mention LSU....typically a powerhouse.....but having a terrible year. Yet they have a really great coach and plenty of talent. Also South Carolina used to be a great program but have struggled recently. Not just in the SEC of course....but there are other teams that have slipped in the last few years but still have good coaching on board.  It happens. 

Vandy puts everything they have into baseball.It is their signature sport. It's kind of the same with Mississippi State minus the tenure of Dan Mullin in football. Mississippi loves their baseball. The SEC has such long standing,dominant programs and it's tough to recruit against lottery states and better infrastructure. The former AD really screwed up with his coaching choices, and attention to facilities. Butch is catching up. It will take time to get the program stabilized and like a well-oiled machine. Better hope for an education lottery too.....

Gonzalez has great talent and potential but he's just not ready for a starting role in The SEC. Fitts was supposed to be the guy but he's not back to himself yet. I feel for this team.

Bliss with the lead off walk. Advances to second on a balk. Back to back singles from Woley and Miller to drive Bliss in. Then a ground out from Moore and Woley comes in to score. 10-2 MS T2.

MS gets a lead off walk but Swilling gets a double play on the next batter. Then a flyout for the 3rd out. Nice bounce back after that horrible first inning. Auburn needs to get a couple more runs this inning to chip away at the lead.

Freaking Ryan Bliss, man!!! Dyal gets a one-out walk and then Bliss sends one over the fence for a 2-run homer. He just continues his absolute monster year. 10-4 MS

Other than the walk and the homer. MS gets Auburn striking out for all 3 outs. Going to the 3rd but at least we're continuing to chip away.

At least we seem to have broken the trend of losing by 1 or 2 runs. 

Walks/HBP continue to be a major issue. Swilling hits a batter after getting 2 strikes on him, then walks a batter on 4 straight pitches, gives up a run on a single. Burkhalter comes in for Swilling and proceeds to walk the first batter he sees on 5 pitches, then walks in another run on 4 straight pitches. 12-4 MS with 2 outs in the top of the third.

Edit: Strike out finally ends the self-inflicted wounds. Need a big inning from our offense to close the gap again.

3 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Walks/HBP continue to be a major issue. Swilling hits a batter after getting 2 strikes on him, then walks a batter on 4 straight pitches, gives up a run on a single. Burkhalter comes in for Swilling and proceeds to walk the first batter he sees on 5 pitches, then walks in another run on 4 straight pitches. 12-4 MS with 2 outs in the top of the third.

Well, need a big crooked number to stay in this one 

6 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Well, need a big crooked number to stay in this one 

Hey, back-to-back walks to start the inning is a good thing. Need to take advantage right now and get across at least 4-5 runs.

Miller tries to sac bunt but reaches first on a bunt single. Bases loaded, 0 outs, and Cam Hill up to bat. Perfect opportunity to get back in this game.

My goodness the situational hitting ...

Bases loaded no outs and Hill pops up in the infield, Moore strikes, and then Dyal strikes out looking. Perfect opportunity squandered by the bottom of the lineup. 12-4 MS going to the 4th.

1 hour ago, tgrogan21 said:

Unless a miracle happens, it'll be another sweep in SEC play. Gonzalez goes .2 innings and gives up 9 runs. Swilling comes in for relief and walks a batter, has a wild pitch, and gives up a run. 10-0 going to the bottom of the 1st.

This was not a good game to televise on SECN today 😩

Barnett into pitch for Burkhalter. Gives a 1 out double but comes back and gets the next 2 batters to ground out. Good inning for him. Top of the lineup due up so lets see if we can get a few more runs.

Leadoff single for Howell but Bliss grounds into a double play and Ward's major slump continues with another strike out.

Edit: Think I'm done watching for the day. Hope I come back on in a couple hours and notice we had the most epic of comebacks.

Archived