Softball @ Texas A&M

25 minutes ago, TD1 said:

Lowe is starting again in game 3. I hate that we don't have a reliable #2. 

Pitching staff appears to be really struggling as the season goes on...

8 minutes ago, AU1947 said:

Pitching staff appears to be really struggling as the season goes on...

I was really excited after seeing Penta in non conference games. She usually lasts around 3-4 innings before Dean pulls her in conference play.  

7 minutes ago, TD1 said:

I was really excited after seeing Penta in non conference games. She usually lasts around 3-4 innings before Dean pulls her in conference play.  

I watcher her last game against TaM, and it looks like she is struggling to locate her pitches, and doesn't have a good enough reportoire of out pitches. She is finding out unlike HS you can't just hum it in there to these really good SEC players.

i think another offseason w working on her control, and better movement will help her next year. But for now Lowe is the more dominant pitcher than has ways to get Ks when she needs them...

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I watcher her last game against TaM, and it looks like she is struggling to locate her pitches, and doesn't have a good enough reportoire of out pitches. She is finding out unlike HS you can't just hum it in there to these really good SEC players.

Penta can't get her change up over for strikes or least close enough to the zone to get swings.  Without something off speed or a low zone pitch, the hitters are just waiting on the rise and getting on top of it.  I wish a booster would pay to bring Mykayla Martin in for a few days, to teach a couple of our pitchers how to throw the flip up drop that she used.  A few days would be enough.  Penta especially.  A drop would make batters look low and make her rise so much more effective.

3-1 Auburn was the final.  Nice to finally get a series win.  Lowe was super sharp and we finally generated some offense this weekend.  I was about to give up on Perry, but she had a strong day today with 2 hits including a nice double.  Great game ladies.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, saminbama said:

Penta can't get her change up over for strikes or least close enough to the zone to get swings.  Without something off speed or a low zone pitch, the hitters are just waiting on the rise and getting on top of it.  I wish a booster would pay to bring Mykayla Martin in for a few days, to teach a couple of our pitchers how to throw the flip up drop that she used.  A few days would be enough.  Penta especially.  A drop would make batters look low and make her rise so much more effective.

I think it would be hard for Penta to throw a drop like Makayla’s due to her pitching motion. I noticed the way she pitches everything seems to be going up because her hand is always under the ball.

27 minutes ago, blakem said:

I think it would be hard for Penta to throw a drop like Makayla’s due to her pitching motion. I noticed the way she pitches everything seems to be going up because her hand is always under the ball.

Exactly.  That's how you throw a flip up drop.  You grip the ball across the seams with your hand underneath the ball.  When you swing your arm around as you release, you use your fingertips to flip the ball up causing a forward spin which makes the ball drop.  My daughter learned the style of drop where you roll your wrist as you release which is a little tougher to learn and she learned it over the course of a 3 session weekend clinic.

26 minutes ago, saminbama said:

Exactly.  That's how you throw a flip up drop.  You grip the ball across the seams with your hand underneath the ball.  When you swing your arm around as you release, you use your fingertips to flip the ball up causing a forward spin which makes the ball drop.  My daughter learned the style of drop where you roll your wrist as you release which is a little tougher to learn and she learned it over the course of a 3 session weekend clinic.

Interesting. I’ve never heard of that way to throw a drop.

Proud for Engelkes to drive in Perry with her first hit of the year.   Garcia's homer was important and well delivered. Hit the scoreboard 30 feet up. Just wish Packer hadn't gotten caught in that rundown, we might have gotten some more. And why was Tissier called out? Was she too far into fair territory? And I guess it's a rule, but I didn't understand why Packer had to go back to first.

15 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

And why was Tissier called out? Was she too far into fair territory? And I guess it's a rule, but I didn't understand why Packer had to go back to first.

Either Tissier was not in the "runners lane" on the bunt and was thought to have impeded the throw from the catcher, or the umpire thought that the ball hit her foot/ankle as she was running. That's the only two reasons that I can think of.

I think the ump thought the ball hit her.  Either way, it' a dead ball and all runners go back to the previously occupied base.  Get this.  For the weekend.  Shelby Lowe stats:  14 innings pitched, 3 ER, 4K, 1 BB.  For the season:  126K's and 14 BB.    No 3 for a freshman in program history.  If CMD has any sense, at the end of this season, he calls her in and tells her she's getting a full ride.  He splits the rest of the schollys however he sees fit, but that youngun gets a full.  Whatever it takes to keep her 3 more years.

• Like 2

I think the only reason she gave up that walk was this:  It was 6th inning, 2-run lead, and she was pitching to Lee, who mashed the homer in the first inning, and who was 2 for 2 on the day.  I think there were 2 outs, and it was a 3-2 count.  Good walk.  Lowe's SO:BB ratio is 9 to 1, and she really isn't a strikeout pitcher.

• Like 2