Get Off Your Knees!

I just can't watch the garbage behind the plate any longer.  We really need a legit catching coach.  Williams, Dial, LaRue....doesn't matter, they are all receiving from their knees.  Lazy with nobody on, and absolutely ridiculous with runners on base.  I'm the biggest Butch supporter, but c'mon man find somebody to teach the position......

• Like 3

13 hours ago, TigerCatcher said:

I just can't watch the garbage behind the plate any longer.  We really need a legit catching coach.  Williams, Dial, LaRue....doesn't matter, they are all receiving from their knees.  Lazy with nobody on, and absolutely ridiculous with runners on base.  I'm the biggest Butch supporter, but c'mon man find somebody to teach the position......

I agree with you. Ironically though I noticed that Steven Williams was easily thrown out by the MSU catcher, who did it from his knees. Significant difference in talent levels of their catcher and ours. 

• WarTiger changed the title to Get Off Your Knees!

It's more about being in position to block.  I understand the one knee advocates think it allows the C to get in better position to receive at the bottom of the zone and "push" the mitt up on receipt.  Pitchers in this league have it drilled into their heads to miss down (as missing up leads to 400' deposits), but it can absolutely be done without going straight to a knee.  As we saw in the top of the eighth last night, with a runner on third, it's a 50/50 proposition that the C can get to a ball in the dirt properly from that position.  It just shouldn't be tolerated, much less promoted.  

Check out the Arkansas C (Optiz), and notice the "hop" into outstanding position with runners on base which our guys DO NOT DO

This is how it should be done....

Edited by TigerCatcher

• 4 weeks later...