Bill Maher: Virtue Signaling at the Oscars.

DKW 86

Bill Maher sniveling that today's movies are only just about depressing topics and not entertaining like they used to be. Then I see Schindler's List & The Grapes of Wrath as examples of "how things used to be" lol.

If you want your escapism it's still there. Hell, 90% of Hollywood money is spent on films like the Marvel franchise or Godzilla. They're not exactly masterful examples of filmmaking though, fun though they may be.

I'm going to go watch To Kill a Mockingbird out of sheer spite now. 

36 minutes ago, AUDub said:

If you want your escapism it's still there. Hell, 90% of Hollywood money is spent on films like the Marvel franchise or Godzilla. They're not exactly masterful examples of filmmaking though, fun though they may be.

That's part of Hollywood's biggest problem these days. The studios have become very risk averse and as a result you're not going to see a lot of "big risks" in big budget films. Gone are the days where they'll give a guy like Ridley Scott 40 million to make a masterpiece like Alien. They want a safe investment.

As a result, you'll see a lot of reboots (as cultural familiarity is a good selling point), adaptations or silly sequels made 40 years after the first film made an impact, and big films themselves will be pretty uncreative, relying on well-worn tropes we've seen a million times before. Hollywood is more an assembly line these days than any sort of workshop.

Most of the really crafty work is reserved for these low budget dramas, and they're as reflective of the time we live in as they've always been. 

I call it recipe movie making. You can take almost any story, rinse it through a Hollywood plotline and get essentially the same movie with about 10% of the actual film making being creative. Special Effects are just a wild card these days. 

Go to 8:00 mark. 

Part 2 The Insanity continues.....The punchline is at the 9:00 Mark of this video.

Archived