new downhill offense

aubiefifty

What Auburn's new 'downhill' offense means for 5-foot-7 RB Shaun Shivers

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com
5-6 minutes

Shaun Shivers spring practice

Shaun Shivers (8) knocks defender Malcolm Askew (16) off his feet during Auburn football practice on Wednesday, April 7, 2021 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU AthleticsTodd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Bryan Harsin knew who Shaun Shivers was well before he took over as Auburn’s head coach in December.

Harsin had seen the hit. You know the one.

The one from the 2019 Iron Bowl, when Shivers took a handoff from Boobee Whitlow on a sweep out of the Wildcat and plowed through Alabama’s Xavier McKinney, sending the Tide safety’s helmet flying into the evening air as Shivers marched into the end zone for what proved to be the game-winning touchdown.

“I’ve seen the helmet pop off,” Harsin said, referring to that famous highlight. “I’ve seen the physicality. You know, you see what he’s able to do.”

Shivers, though, wasn’t as familiar with Harsin’s work. More specifically, he wasn’t attuned to how Harsin’s offenses were run at Boise State and what it would mean for him heading into his senior season after playing his entire career in Gus Malzahn’s system. While Shivers said everyone on the team was in “panic mode” after Malzahn’s firing, as a team captain he took it upon himself to help calm everyone down during that period of uncertainty. When Harsin was hired nine days later, Shivers was openminded and wanted to give Auburn’s new coach a chance.

So, when Harsin arrived on campus and began getting to know his players, Shivers likewise wanted to find out more about the man taking over the Tigers’ program. Among the questions he had for Harsin was how the head coach saw the 5-foot-7, 189-pound running back fitting into his offense.

“It wasn’t about ‘what are you going to do for me?’” Harsin said. “It was more about, ‘Hey, how do you see me fitting in? What do you think I need to do, and here are some goals that I want to achieve.’ And I like that. I enjoyed that conversation with him.”

Shivers left that meeting with a better understanding of his new coach, as well as a firm sense of his role in the Tigers’ offense for this upcoming season. He was particularly pleased to hear that Auburn would embrace more of a “downhill” rushing attack this season with Harsin and offensive coordinator Mike Bobo collaborating on the scheme. As Bobo described it this spring, he wants Auburn to run a “wide-open, pro-style” attack that can spread teams out but also get under center and run the ball down opponents’ throats.

Yes, Shivers’ size is that of a smaller running back, but the Fort Lauderdale, Fla., native has always played bigger than his stature -- as though he is always the biggest, most physical man on the field.

“I just think this is the best offense for me, because I have a chance to show what I can really do — just get downhill,” Shivers said. “That’s something I came from before, when I was in high school. It’s just something we did, running downhill. That’s just what I’m used to.”

Shivers hasn’t been afraid to show that this spring, as evidenced by a since-deleted video that Auburn’s official team account posted to Twitter on Saturday afternoon. It showed Shivers taking a handoff in practice from Bo Nix and taking off down the left sideline, where defensive back Malcolm Askew tried to square up and bring him down. Shivers, like he did to McKinney in the 2019 Iron Bowl, trucked Askew and dropped him to the turf before being wrapped up by two defenders a few yards downfield.

“That position — especially at tailback — that’s one you’ve got to be physical,” Harsin said. “You’ve got to be a different dude. You’re going to get hit every play, you’ve got to be able to protect the passer, you’ve got to take care of the ball.”

Shivers, who has rushed for 933 yards and seven touchdowns in his first three seasons, has brought that approach consistently to practice this spring, leading by example while impressing Harsin and the new staff with his demeanor. As Harsin put it Saturday, Shivers has been “purposeful” in everything he has done this spring — rarely, if ever, taking a play off while also being focused in absorbing the new playbook.

Given the team’s new mindset offensively with that physical, downhill rushing attack — one that’s more tailored to Shivers’ style — and with the Tigers light on depth in the backfield following the offseason departures of Mark-Antony Richards and D.J. Williams, Shivers figures to have a firm role as the Tigers’ No. 2 back behind standout sophomore Tank Bigsby.

“He is a man that’s confident each and every day and is going to work his tail off,” running back coach Cadillac Williams said. “He may not be the biggest guy, but I’m telling you he is not going to back down from a challenge. He’s going to bring it each and every day. He’s super important to this team…. I know he’s a small guy, but he is a downhill, physical guy that runs downhill and is able to break tackles. I am looking forward to seeing him in this offense.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• WarTiger changed the title to new downhill offense

I love watching Shivers run the ball.  The attitude, the drive and the physicality.  He’s a threat every time he touches the ball.  

“It wasn’t about ‘what are you going to do for me?’” Harsin said. “It was more about, ‘Hey, how do you see me fitting in? What do you think I need to do, and here are some goals that I want to achieve.’ And I like that. I enjoyed that conversation with him.”

This is why I really like this kid.

Archived