Softball vs Alabama State

Penta pitching today and interestingly wearing a mask.  After 2 innings she has thrown 30 pitches and probably 24 have been rise balls.  We got a double play in the 2nd on a changeup.  I wish Dean's pitch selection would let her work on other pitches.  Offensively, we haven't hit it out of the infield yet.  After 2 innings 0-0. 

ASU batter hit a pop up bunt that went over Garcia's head at 3rd.  Dowell gets the ball, but no one covers 2nd and the batter takes 2nd for an infield double.  Cox was covering first and couldn't get back to 2nd.  Outfielders need to be aware of those situations.  No damage done as Penta gets out of the inning.  Still 2-0 us after 4. 

Schmidt lays down a beautiful bunt to lead off the the bottom of the 5th. Tissier gets a solid single to left and Englekes bunts the runners to 2nd and 3rd. 1 out.  Dowell flys out to left and Schmidt scores.    Rivera pinch hits for King and strikes out looking. 3-0 after 5.

Cox makes a nice diving stop of a ground ball and throws the runner out from her knees for out 3 in the top of the 6th.  3 up and 3 down.  Penta has 11 K's after 6 innings.

Garcia cranks a shot over the Left Field Wall for a solo home run.  4-0 Auburn.  McCondichie pinch runs and steals 2nd.  The throw goes into CF and the return throw from the outfield goes into the dugout and McCondichie is awarded home.  5-0 Auburn after 6 innings.  Dismukes in to pitch the 7th.

Edited by saminbama

Dismukes walks the leadoff batter in the 7th, but the runner is stranded.   Final 5-0.   Really disappointed in our lack of offense.  I hoped we had turned the corner last weekend.

Happy to see Punta wearing the face protector.

Didn't learn a lot from this game other than confirming that the hitting woes continue. Should have been a run rule game.

• Like 2

That is the same team Alabama pitchers combined for a perfect game and run ruled 10-0. We give up 2 hits and only record 7... this should have been a run rule for us and our lack of offense is putting undue pressure on the pitchers.  It was a close game to a mediocre SWAC team where we score 3 after the 5th inning to put out of reach.. 

13 hours ago, saminbama said:

I didn't get to see the Arkansas series, but I just noticed the seat spacing has been removed from the seats at JBM.

I would like to see increase in the allowable capacity % for these outdoor events.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AU1947 said:

That is the same team Alabama pitchers combined for a perfect game and run ruled 10-0. We give up 2 hits and only record 7... this should have been a run rule for us and our lack of offense is putting undue pressure on the pitchers.  It was a close game to a mediocre SWAC team where we score 3 after the 5th inning to put out of reach.. 

Yep. Unless the pitchers limit the other team to 2 runs or less, we are still going to lose these SEC series, unless the hitting gets going. I don't know if there is one or two players that are even consistently clutch with their hitting...other than Dowell. King has had some good games getting on base...and PAcker at times. But so little power...

• Like 1