Ja'Varrius Johnson making most of opportunity

aubiefifty

Ja'Varrius Johnson making most of opportunity

By Giana Han
4-5 minutes

Ja'Varrius Johnson spring practice

Ja'Varrius Johnson (6) practices returning the ball with Auburn's special teams during Auburn's practice on Thursday, March 25, 2021. (Photo by Giana Han)

The name “Ja’Varrius Johnson” has gone from rarely mentioned to a common topic in the span of three weeks of spring practice.

The wide receiver is a redshirt sophomore who was plagued by injuries and didn’t play a game in 2019 and played just one game in 2020. But he’s healthy now, and he’s starting to show what he’s capable of.

To Johnson, being healthy makes all the difference.

“That’s one of the biggest parts,” Johnson said. “When I first came in I had that pelvis injury which led into last year. It was kind of hurting me still a little bit but I battled through it. This year I’m able to go through everything completely without it hurting and I’m staying healthy.”

Being held back by injury is always tough, Johnson said, but he’s been through it before. His previous experiences helped him to get through the most recent one, he said.

But it’s a really good feeling to be able to show what he can do. And people have noticed.

Last season, Johnson played in just one game, but it was against Georgia. Afterwards former coach Gus Malzahn described him as talented and someone who could help Auburn moving forward. After just a few days of spring with the new staff, Auburn’s new coaches saw that potential, too.

In his first press conference as an Auburn coach, offensive coordinator Mike Bobo made a point to mention Johnson. Although they’d only been practicing two days, Bobo said he was impressed with the way Johnson was able to come off the ball and how he executed big plays. The ability to create space that Bobo noticed is one of Johnson’s biggest improvements, in Johnson’s own opinion.

As spring goes on, Johnson has continued to build on that first impression, proving he can execute repeatedly. His name keeps coming up in press conferences as a result. Coach Bryan Harsin described him as one of the most consistent players on the team, and wide receivers coach Cornelius Williams singled out Johnson. When asked if any wide receivers were standing out, Williams said they all were doing well, but Johnson was the only one he mentioned specifically.

“A guy that really has kind of stood out … is Ja’Varrius Jonhnson,” Williams said.

He, too, mentioned Johnson’s ability to create space and said if he can get the little details down, he could be really helpful to Auburn’s offense.

Not only is Johnson healthy, but this new offense also highlights his skillset well. He’s been playing in the slot, something he hadn’t really done before, and it’s allowed him to use his speed as he runs deep routes, posts, short routes, “anything.”

“I’m one of the smaller guys so I have a lot of field to work with because a lot of people are playing off,” Johnson said. “I can use my speed to work out and get open in different areas.”

Although Johnson has very little game experience, he is still one of the most experienced guys in terms of time in college since over 40 percent of the group are sophomores. Knowing this, Johnson is working on his leadership in addition to his performance on the field.

Whether his role is to contribute in the locker room or the field – and from the way Williams was talking, it sounds like it will be both – Johnson is just grateful for the opportunity to finally show his potential.

“One of the things I’ve always wanted to do was come in and play at Auburn,” Johnson said. “Getting the chance to come out here and show what I can do is always great. I’m really embracing it.”

Archived