Teen granted youthful offender status in deaths of Auburn announcer Rod Bramblett, wife Paula

DKW 86

22 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Everybody in the 'tough on crime' segment are all "throw the book at them!" until it's their kid that's gone and done something terrible and stupid.

You don’t think there are tough love parents out there?  I know a couple.  If you monitor your kids activities closely, you have a better sense of what to expect.

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

You don’t think there are tough love parents out there?  I know a couple.  If you monitor your kids activities closely, you have a better sense of what to expect.

Sure there are.  But the vast majority of the tough on crime folks who want to take away judicial discretion, advocate for three strikes laws and mandatory minimums and all that have a mentality that it's about *those* people.  So when it's "one of ours" suddenly the narrative shifts and we need to consider the circumstances and such.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Sure there are.  But the vast majority of the tough on crime folks who want to take away judicial discretion, advocate for three strikes laws and mandatory minimums and all that have a mentality that it's about *those* people.  So when it's "one of ours" suddenly the narrative shifts and we need to consider the circumstances and such.

I agree that a vast majority will act this way, just not *everybody*.  If this had happened to one of my kids, I hope I would have tried to work a deal that gave the kid some actual jail time. I’m not sure that would even be an option, but I hope the law would be flexible enough to do what is right for society and my kid.

Like seriously, if you find yourself literally always in every situation going out of your way to discredit the minority side or pov.....you don't notice that and think maybe I have a problem?

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Like seriously, if you find yourself literally always in every situation going out of your way to discredit the minority side or pov.....you don't notice that and think maybe I have a problem?

Is this addressed to anybody in particular or just a rant?

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

I hope I would have tried to work a deal that gave the kid some actual jail time. 

Just to be clear, what specifically would you want him to spend time in jail for?

23 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Is this addressed to anybody in particular or just a rant?

It's to everybody, it's always the same people. And most will say what they need to, to hide. Something like I'm not saying there's no bad apples out there BUT blah blah blah. 

Like if you find yourself literally every time a black person is killed, every time something racist is said, every time something racist is pointed out but it's in your soul to fight that everybody is lying. Wouldn't somewhere along the way you think about it?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Just to be clear, what specifically would you want him to spend time in jail for?

Manslaughter.

• Thanks 1

Manslaughter.

Fair enough. Would that require you to disbelieve your kid's version of events? Is it at least plausible that he simply fell asleep at the wheel?

Just now, Barnacle said:

Fair enough. Would that require you to disbelieve your kid's version of events? Is it at least plausible that he simply fell asleep at the wheel?

If I knew my kid was prone to drive under the influence and evidence showed he was under the influence you can’t believe your own kid.  Falling asleep when you’re under the influence is a euphemism for passing out.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It's to everybody, it's always the same people. And most will say what they need to, to hide. Something like I'm not saying there's no bad apples out there BUT blah blah blah. 

Like if you find yourself literally every time a black person is killed, every time something racist is said, every time something racist is pointed out but it's in your soul to fight that everybody is lying. Wouldn't somewhere along the way you think about it?

I can see that, I do wish everything that happens wasn’t viewed through a racial lenses. 

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

If I knew my kid was prone to drive under the influence and evidence showed he was under the influence you can’t believe your own kid.  Falling asleep when you’re under the influence is a euphemism for passing out.

Is there direct evidence to that point? All that I've read is that he had marijuana in his system. That's not proof that he was under the influence of marijuana at the time of the wreck. 

Look, I'm playing devil's advocate here. Given his history, and pattern of behavior, I think its more likely than not that he was under the influence. I'm just saying that if he's my kid, I'd like to know beyond a shadow of doubt before I started advocating for them to spend time in prison. 

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

Is there direct evidence to that point? All that I've read is that he had marijuana in his system. That's not proof that he was under the influence of marijuana at the time of the wreck. 

Look, I'm playing devil's advocate here. Given his history, and pattern of behavior, I think its more likely than not that he was under the influence. I'm just saying that if he's my kid, I'd like to know beyond a shadow of doubt before I started advocating for them to spend time in prison. 

I can understand that, but if you are aware of your kid’s habits and this was not the first time he was high on something, you as a parent should be able to call the shots.  It’s not up to law enforcement to discipline him or the law to lay down his punishment, you as the parent, need to be able be in the discussion as to how he takes responsibility for his actions.

I have never been in this situation, but have disciplined my kids harshly at times.  When you take away driving privileges of your 16 YO it is a pain in the butt, because you have to drive him everywhere he NEEDS to go, but was well worth it in my case.

I also have a wife that was a school teacher and she can spot a lie before the words are even spoken. This helped a lot.

Just now, I_M4_AU said:

I can understand that, but if you are aware of your kid’s habits and this was not the first time he was high on something, you as a parent should be able to call the shots.  It’s not up to law enforcement to discipline him or the law to lay down his punishment, you as the parent, need to be able be in the discussion as to how he takes responsibility for his actions.

I have never been in this situation, but have disciplined my kids harshly at times.  When you take away driving privileges of your 16 YO it is a pain in the butt, because you have to drive him everywhere he NEEDS to go, but was well worth it in my case.

I also have a wife that was a school teacher and she can spot a lie before the words are even spoken. This helped a lot.

I agree some of what you are saying, but advocating your your child's imprisonment is a far cry from taking away their keys. 

17 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I agree some of what you are saying, but advocating your your child's imprisonment is a far cry from taking away their keys. 

Again, this is speculating what I hope I would do if my kid had blown off all my teachings to help him be a productive member of society.  Once that happens, evidently, my teachings were not affective so law enforcement and the law is what he really needs.  

Again, this is speculating what I hope I would do if my kid had blown off all my teachings to help him be a productive member of society.  Once that happens, evidently, my teachings were not affective so law enforcement and the law is what he really needs.  

I respect where you are coming from, although I could never advocate for my child to go to prison under these circumstances. There are too many unintended consequences associated with a prison term. 

All that said, he can still end up with a sentence up to three years. It will be up to the state or the judge to decide. 

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

wasting your time here bud...Either agree with the narrative or agree with the narrative...B)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

I can see that, I do wish everything that happens wasn’t viewed through a racial lenses. 

“White with money”.........sounds that the intent of the thread is to view through “racial lenses”.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Manslaughter.

13 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Manslaughter is still Manslaughter. Whether the kid was high or just asleep at the wheel matters nothing here. Did he operate a motor vehicle in such a negligent manner that he caused the deaths of two people? Yes he did. That is straight up Manslaughter, Two Counts.

He is a kid. Does that outweigh the deaths of two people? Has the kid shown real remorse? I doubt anyone reading this case thinks the kid gives a damn. What the kid says regarding whether he was asleep at the wheel, high, or wearing a mankini doesnt matter at all.

Again, Did he operate a motor vehicle in such a negligent manner that he caused the deaths of two people? Yes.
That is Manslaughter, Two Counts.

Edited by DKW 86
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Manslaughter is still Manslaughter. Whether the kid was high or just asleep at the wheel matters nothing here. Did he operate a motor vehicle in such a negligent manner that he caused the deaths of two people? Yes he did. That is straight up Manslaughter, Two Counts.

He is a kid. Does that outweigh the deaths of two people? Has the kid shown real remorse? I doubt anyone reading this case thinks the kid gives a damn. What the kid says regarding whether he was asleep at the wheel, high, or wearing a mankini doesnt matter at all.

Again, Did he operate a motor vehicle in such a negligent manner that he caused the deaths of two people? Yes.

Not sure why you decided to quote me, or what any of that has to do with the conversation I was having with I_M4_AU. 

Edited by Barnacle

12 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

There are teaching moments is each kids life.  If we as parents miss them and/or dismiss them, we are not doing them any favors and the parents usually pay for it later.  JMO.

For those swayed by him being a kid, someone's child, what remorse has he shown? He immediately got 2-3 more speeding tickets and failed a drug test or two. Are we to overlook all that? 

In every single criminal event, there are circumstances and I think that they should indeed be looked at. He is a kid. He obviously has a huge drug problem. But the criminal case boils down to: Was he operating a motor vehicle in a dangerous and negligent way that killed someone? Straight up, that is manslaughter. Has he shown any remorse? Not much vision on that. 

If he was a black kid, he would be going to prison for several (maybe 5-7) years. If he was a middle class white kid, he would get 2-3 years maybe. But because of who he is, he will likely get nothing but a meaningless trip to rehab and probation. This is not about me being a throw the book at em tough on crime guy. I am the one on this forum that has talked at length on the tragedy and damage the 1994 Crime Bill that has been so devastating on the Black community. I do get it. Some around here cant even tolerate that Biden, who wrote the bill, could possibly have part of any legislation that wasnt perfect. You know, party line and all that BS.

I am arguing that even with the recusals etc, The kid is going to get away with this. Clearly guilty of manslaughter, gets rehab and probation. The problem is that he knew he was going to get away with this even when it happened. I truly feel sorry for the kid. He has likely never had to meet any expectations in his life. 

Edited by DKW 86
  • Like 2

On 4/15/2021 at 4:36 PM, Barnacle said:

I respect where you are coming from, although I could never advocate for my child to go to prison under these circumstances. There are too many unintended consequences associated with a prison term. 

All that said, he can still end up with a sentence up to three years. It will be up to the state or the judge to decide. 

A Hickory man has been charged with first-degree murder in the shooting death of 7-year-old Zakylen Greylen Harris.

Douglas Mason Wilson, 23, was arrested Thursday.

https://hickoryrecord.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/arrest-made-in-7-year-olds-shooting-death/article_8730909a-a440-11eb-9bf1-779455e85ec5.html

I don’t know if these comments are true or not, but if his mother turned him in, good on her.  From the comment section of the above article:

maewest112015 Apr 25, 2021 7:38am

I've worked in Hky since I was 18 yrs old & still working PT at 73. In earlier times, I'd never dreamed of how little "lives" meant to people! It's as if they were 'playing a video game of bang-bang..but ALL done in a 'Cowards' way...not a man's way'!! REAL men just have a good 'ole fist fight and walk off. Today, its grab a gun & shoot without a 2nd thought!

May God Bless the "Mother" of the "Shooter" for turning her estranged son in to HPD! No one won as BOTH mom's have lost a son...BUT....one Mother will never see her son again, the other can, if she chooses to!

From FB:

Renee A Moore; He was turned in by his mother and is in custody with no bond. He will sit in jail until his court date.

My comments:

If you have raised a POS and everything you have done has not worked, it’s time to let law enforcement do their job.  This had to be a tough decision on the mother’s part, but we need more parents like this in the world.

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

REAL men just have a good 'ole fist fight and walk off.

No longer allowed. You're sitting in jail nowadays if you get in a fight.

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

A Hickory man has been charged with first-degree murder in the shooting death of 7-year-old Zakylen Greylen Harris.

Douglas Mason Wilson, 23, was arrested Thursday.

https://hickoryrecord.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/arrest-made-in-7-year-olds-shooting-death/article_8730909a-a440-11eb-9bf1-779455e85ec5.html

I don’t know if these comments are true or not, but if his mother turned him in, good on her.  From the comment section of the above article:

maewest112015 Apr 25, 2021 7:38am

I've worked in Hky since I was 18 yrs old & still working PT at 73. In earlier times, I'd never dreamed of how little "lives" meant to people! It's as if they were 'playing a video game of bang-bang..but ALL done in a 'Cowards' way...not a man's way'!! REAL men just have a good 'ole fist fight and walk off. Today, its grab a gun & shoot without a 2nd thought!

May God Bless the "Mother" of the "Shooter" for turning her estranged son in to HPD! No one won as BOTH mom's have lost a son...BUT....one Mother will never see her son again, the other can, if she chooses to!

From FB:

Renee A Moore; He was turned in by his mother and is in custody with no bond. He will sit in jail until his court date.

My comments:

If you have raised a POS and everything you have done has not worked, it’s time to let law enforcement do their job.  This had to be a tough decision on the mother’s part, but we need more parents like this in the world.

Under these circumstances, I agree she did the right thing.