Bryan Harsin take on Bo Nix

aubiefifty

2 hours ago, AUbritt said:

I kept waiting to hear Harsin's take on Bo. Did I miss it?

Solid performance.

13 hours ago, toddc said:

Solid performance.

Must be the new coach speak.  I saw flashes of old Bo.  Dude is 21 and in his 3rd year.  We know what he is at this point.  

• Like 2
  • Dislike 2

2 hours ago, AUCE05 said:

Must be the new coach speak.  I saw flashes of old Bo.  Dude is 21 and in his 3rd year.  We know what he is at this point.  

CBH also said the receivers ran the wrong routes, dropped some catchable balls, and needed to help Bo with better play. Also, the coaches love what they’re seeing from Bo so I don’t get all the complaints about him. I thought he did really well for what it’s worth. Not much.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, toddc said:

CBH also said the receivers ran the wrong routes, dropped some catchable balls, and needed to help Bo with better play. Also, the coaches love what they’re seeing from Bo so I don’t get all the complaints about him. I thought he did really well for what it’s worth. Not much.

Yep, there are probably isolated situations where Harsin and Bobo zoned in on some of Bo's flaws in his QB play, and put him in situations where they can see how performed during A-Day. And many of those flaws we have no clue about and others are obvious when watching Bo operate when he goes back to pass.

I trust our QB experienced coaches to do everything possible to make Bo a better thrower and manage the pocket. How long that takes, or if it works who knows. 

I don't expect Bo to overcome those flaws just through a few weeks of practice and simulated game experience. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, toddc said:

Because there are too many low football-IQ fans out there who think that the Quarterback position is the end-all, be-all. The old saying goes... Everyone's favorite quarterback is the backup.

Edited by JBiGGiE
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

IMO, not since Pat Sullivan, and perhaps Jimbo Fisher, has there been a better collection of QB and offensive minded coaches on one team. I think we are very fortunate to have a Harsin/Bobo partnership working at Auburn. It's all up to Bo now. I'm comfortable in saying that eventually they'll put a QB on the field who won't have the urge to run if the first read is not open, while there's still a pocket to throw from.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, AUCE05 said:

Sorry but I will continue to blame Malzahn for Nix's lack of development.  I believe the same problems would have plagued Gatewood.  However, you can blame Bo and his father for choosing Auburn despite the obvious warnings that Malzahn would ruin him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Sorry but I will continue to blame Malzahn for Nix's lack of development.  I believe the same problems would have plagued Gatewood.  However, you can blame Bo and his father for choosing Auburn despite the obvious warnings that Malzahn would ruin him.

I have watched Bo since his Pinson days.  Same mistakes.  Bo was a mid-50's % completion QB then.  No reason to expect him to improve on that vs SEC talent.  

54 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Malzhan didn't ruin Bo, he just wasn't able to get him to progress out of his high school habits.  We'll have to see if the new staff can get better results than the former with 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, AUCE05 said:

I have watched Bo since his Pinson days.  Same mistakes.  Bo was a mid-50's % completion QB then.  No reason to expect him to improve on that vs SEC talent.  

That’s saying that HS athletes do not improve, take on new coaching at all from HS. Probably should not mention that to the many professional coaches and Personal position trainers that do this for a living. I’m sure you have a good point, it’s just not in this post.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, keesler said:

Malzhan didn't ruin Bo, he just wasn't able to get him to progress out of his high school habits.  We'll have to see if the new staff can get better results than the former with 

Agree to disagree with that comment.  Gus Malzahns track record with QBs is terrible.  The man has no idea how to evaluate or develop a QB.  In two years he will have his own QB that he evaluated and coached at UCF and that guy will perform terribly as per protocol for Gus.

In fact we might as well say Gus is a legit college coach once an Athletic Director gets him to progress out of his high school habits.

Edited by ToomersStreet
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Agree to disagree with that comment.  Gus Malzahns track record with QBs is terrible.  The man has no idea how to evaluate or develop a QB.  In two years he will have his own QB that he evaluated and coached at UCF and that guy will perform terribly as per protocal for Gus.

Gus has yet to coach a successful HS QB that he recruited and signed at a school.  Thats an amazing stat for someone who has been a D1 coach for a decade.....and is still employed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

I'm still in the camp that thinks Bo can be a successful QB here at AU. Harsin and Bobo are going to have to scheme around his strengths and weaknesses but a good coach knows how to do that. Bo does a lot of things well IMO. He is great in the short to mid passes game, he is quick and can pick up yards with his legs, and he is a gutty QB that has won big time games late. But he is not very good at down field passes and he has trouble staying in the pocket. I feel like a good coach should be able to work with that type of player and put a winning game plan together. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Agree to disagree with that comment.  Gus Malzahns track record with QBs is terrible.  The man has no idea how to evaluate or develop a QB.  In two years he will have his own QB that he evaluated and coached at UCF and that guy will perform terribly as per protocol for Gus.

I think what Keesler was saying is that Gus didn’t impart those traits into Bo. Bo already had them. It was Gus’ job to make sure those bad traits were corrected. As we saw, none of that happened because actual QB coaching is basically non-existent in Gus’ offense. Gus didn’t actively ruin Bo as much as he just let him do whatever as long as he ran the plays he wanted him to. Now I suppose, if you don’t think Bo will ever actually improve then you could say Gus ruined him by not giving him the coaching he needed from day one, leading him to this point where he’s hopeless. 

I don’t believe he’s hopeless. I think he can get better and become “pretty good” (whatever that is) but he’s got a much lower ceiling than we thought after 2019.

Edited by lca408
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bo is not going to transform into a any of the drop back passers that graced Miami in the 80's or 90's.  

He is what he is: probably the most tenacious, "I want to win" kinda QB we have had a very long while.   He will throw off balance and usually does a great job tossing the ball away when there is nothing there, except the UF game two yrs ago when Gus ignorantly thought Bo could call audibles (how freaking dumb) and then at USC last year.  Honestly, in hindsight, the USC game turned out to be a blessing I think.  

Give me a heady, 60% completion QB, who will follow instructions from Bobo and Harsin and we will win a lot of games and I believe  we start winning against LSU and thuga.  

Bo wants to learn and wants to win and will put in the work.  If Stidham had half his work ethic.....

Edited by Beaker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lca408 said:

I think what Keesler was saying is that Gus didn’t impart those traits into Bo. Bo already had them. It was Gus’ job to make sure those bad traits were corrected. As we saw, none of that happened because actual QB coaching is basically non-existent in Gus’ offense. Gus didn’t actively ruin Bo as much as he just let him do whatever as long as he ran the plays he wanted him to. Now I suppose, if you don’t think Bo will ever actually improve then you could say Gus ruined him by not giving him the coaching he needed from day one, leading him to this point where he’s hopeless. 

I don’t believe he’s hopeless. I think he can get better and become “pretty good” (whatever that is) but he’s got a much lower ceiling than we thought after 2019.

I was in complete agreement until the second part of the *last* sentence. I still believe he has what it takes to be a very successful college quarterback, with the potential to develop into a pro. I don't know that he will have that success, but I believe he has it within him. It's now Harsin's and Bobo's job to get it out of him by teaching him how to be a quarterback in a modern college offense.

Edited by Rednilla
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Give me a heady, 60% completion QB, who will follow instructions from Bobo and Harsin and we will win a lot of games and I believe  we start winning against LSU and thuga.  

It's going to take an offensive line to make that happen, I'm afraid. I'm just not sure we have a formidable product to put on the field for that unit this fall, in spite of the hype I'm seeing out of the Auburn beat guys.

• Like 3

One thing other than development that hurt the fans views of Nix was the fact we ran the most predictable offense in the country. The defense probably knew what type of play was coming before it was signaled in to the offense.  

3 minutes ago, RHN1975 said:

One thing other than development that hurt the fans views of Nix was the fact we ran the most predictable offense in the country. The defense probably knew what type of play was coming before it was signaled in to the offense.  

Absolutely. Pretty much the only offensive players not to suffer that fate the last several years were a few bell cow RBs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

Bo wants to learn and wants to win and will put in the work.

If putting having good work ethic was the only reason for success Bo would have improved from year 1 to year 2.  He does seem to have a will to win, but if you don’t play smart you can get frustrated at the lack of success.  The key, IMO, is learning what Bobo and Harsin is trying to teach and having 💯 buy in.  What Gus taught, didn’t work for him.  He needs to wrap his mind around learning something different.  Usually, when you try to learn something different you regress before you get better.

It will be an interesting year.

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

If putting having good work ethic was the only reason for success Bo would have improved from year 1 to year 2.  He does seem to have a will to win, but if you don’t play smart you can get frustrated at the lack of success.  The key, IMO, is learning what Bobo and Harsin is trying to teach and having 💯 buy in.  What Gus taught, didn’t work for him.  He needs to wrap his mind around learning something different.  Usually, when you try to learn something different you regress before you get better.

It will be an interesting year.

I'd like to see him with a top shelf QB coach & training program this off-season.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beaker said:

60% is really low, it is essentially where he was last season.  He needs to be in the mid 60s at a minimum