Bryan Harsin take on Bo Nix

aubiefifty

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I have a pretty big surgery coming up. I'll drop in every now and again to follow this convo

Praying for you brother! Hope all goes well with it.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, McLoofus said:

We're all hoping so.

It's like I think you and I have both said about Jeremy Johnson. What happens if that long TD pass to Jason Smith* against Louisville doesn't get called back? What happens if he gets just one game that goes really well and builds his confidence, his trust in the system, his coach's trust in him, and the players' trust in each other? There's no reason that can't happen with Bo. He hasn't had that game yet. He's had some emotional wins, but he's never had a game where everyone was like, "Damn, that dude might be an NFL QB." If he gets just one really great game where he sees that he's getting good coaching, that he's got several guys he can count on to get open and catch the ball, where his teammates trust that if they get block for him and get open that he will spread the ball around and we'll produce... could make all the difference. 

Uncle Mo is for real for real. 

*And what does it mean for Jason Smith's career if that pass doesn't get called back?

Happy valley would be a great place to have that complete NFL type of game 👍

13 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I have a pretty big surgery coming up. I'll drop in every now and again to follow this convo

Prayer sent your way. Hope everything goes well. 

46 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Um, bro? Hello? Sending those vibes your way! Keep us posted.

58 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Prayers/well wishes for your surgery.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Um, bro? Hello? Sending those vibes your way! Keep us posted.

I started to make a post but I didn't know where to put it

3 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Dag, I love the new term cognitive distortion (new to me that is). I can’t wait to throw that one out at our family Christmas get-together. It fits well with my group.

Do it! Great convo starter haha 

On 4/19/2021 at 12:27 PM, I_M4_AU said:

If putting having good work ethic was the only reason for success Bo would have improved from year 1 to year 2.  He does seem to have a will to win, but if you don’t play smart you can get frustrated at the lack of success.  The key, IMO, is learning what Bobo and Harsin is trying to teach and having 💯 buy in.  What Gus taught, didn’t work for him.  He needs to wrap his mind around learning something different.  Usually, when you try to learn something different you regress before you get better.

It will be an interesting year.

Good points, but remember between Bo's yr 1 and yr 2 was no spring ball and not much summer due to Covid.  That had an impact on development any way you wish to slice it.

15 hours ago, cole256 said:

Praying for you.

On 4/19/2021 at 1:49 PM, W.E.D said:

60% is really low, it is essentially where he was last season.  He needs to be in the mid 60s at a minimum

It's about what he had last yr....my point is - with better coaching and giving him more options, we will win more games with the same completion %.    We don't need Bo to make a lot of improvements - just some better coaching. 

We have a 'franchise QB' if you will - we just need consistency and better OL play because I believe Bobo will give Bo and the receivers a lot more options.  

I dare say with better coaching and better OL play -  Bo will start to look like a very fun and efficient QB.  

15 hours ago, cole256 said:

Praying everything turns out well.  Good luck.

16 minutes ago, Beaker said:

We don't need Bo to make a lot of improvements - just some better coaching. 

We definitely need that better coaching to help Bo make some significant improvements. He has not been a good quarterback so far. There might be numerous reasons for that beyond his control, but he needs to get a lot better- along with the schemes and OL play- if we're going to have a good offense.

19 minutes ago, Beaker said:

It's about what he had last yr....my point is - with better coaching and giving him more options, we will win more games with the same completion %.    We don't need Bo to make a lot of improvements - just some better coaching. 

We have a 'franchise QB' if you will - we just need consistency and better OL play because I believe Bobo will give Bo and the receivers a lot more options.  

I dare say with better coaching and better OL play -  Bo will start to look like a very fun and efficient QB.  

We do not have a franchise QB. Bo will have to do a lot of lifting on the offensive end with a lot of unknowns. This is not like 2017, where we could kind of wait around for JS to get his feet wet. I think people forget last year how many 50-50 games we also had that went our way. 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

We do not have a franchise QB. Bo will have to do a lot of lifting on the offensive end with a lot of unknowns. This is not like 2017, where we could kind of wait around for JS to get his feet wet. I think people forget last year how many 50-50 games we also had that went our way. 

And how often it was Seth Williams who made them go our way. 

45 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yeah, I am probably one of those people forgetting...

I think about how we could have beaten UF a couple of yrs ago with just average QB play and a coach that didn't think his freshman QB could audible plays....that is why I think if Bo is just a bit better than 'average,'  with the improved coaching, we will win more than 7-8 games.  yeah, maybe I am overly optimistic.  

I believe the defense is going be nasty and really keep us in some games. 

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

We need Bo to make huge improvements AND get better coaching.

Nothing personal against Bo, but a "franchise QB" at the SEC level?

58 minutes ago, keesler said:

Bo was overhyped out of HS coming into Auburn. IMO only, he is a more athletic, less accurate version of Brandon Cox/Sean White. He's not gonna light it up, but he can be an efficient, smart, competitive game manager who is also capable of making plays with his feet as long as his decision making improves. IF he can do that, we'll be alright with the right pieces in place around him.

59 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Bo was overhyped out of HS coming into Auburn. IMO only, he is a more athletic, less accurate version of Brandon Cox/Sean White. He's not gonna light it up, but he can be an efficient, smart, competitive game manager who is also capable of making plays with his feet as long as his decision making improves. IF he can do that, we'll be alright with the right pieces in place around him.

Bos is still an athlete trying to learn to play the QB position. He is nothing like Cox/White in the sense that they were more cerebral at QB and knew how to operate in a pocket and how the play develops. They both lacked the athleticism of Bo, and definitely did have the strength and quickness he has either. But they were more accurate.

I do agree if Bo improves managing the passing plays, and overcomes some of his negative tendencies then we have a very good chance in our offense to do some damage in the air. But the WRs have to improve and understand the plays better going into the fall.

37 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Bos is still an athlete trying to learn to play the QB position. He is nothing like Cox/White in the sense that they were more cerebral at QB and knew how to operate in a pocket and how the play develops. They both lacked the athleticism of Bo, and definitely did have the strength and quickness he has either. But they were more accurate.

I do agree if Bo improves managing the passing plays, and overcomes some of his negative tendencies then we have a very good chance in our offense to do some damage in the air. But the WRs have to improve and understand the plays better going into the fall.

I agree with this summation.

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

7 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I agree with both of you on this. I noticed he was squaring up more on his screen and flat pass resulting in better accuracy on them. In the pocket he was stepping into his throws more. The result was pretty good accuracy on the passes up to 15 yards. His slant passes were excellent. On the longer passes he is still not as accurate but at least he is trying to put some air under it to give the WRs a chance to make a play.

However, unless his accuracy improves on the deep passes we are going to need a new Seth Williams type to go up and get those deep balls. Only one of our better receivers was on the field so hopefully we will be ok at full strength. TEs were solid. On the mental part of his game, none of us actually know. Harsin and Bobo are the only ones that really know what Bo has been told to do and what they are seeing. So here we are, four months to go and a lot of work to do.

19 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Harsin/bobo need to take a page from Lane Kiffin and move Bo to the SLOT rec like he did with Plumlee at ole miss.

On 4/21/2021 at 12:29 PM, keesler said:

We need Bo to make huge improvements AND get better coaching.

I mean he was a five star so I was hoping for a NFL pro

Archived