NCAA passes one-time transfer exception for all sports

aubiefifty

NCAA passes one-time transfer exception for all sports

By Creg Stephenson | cstephenson@al.com
2 minutes

NCAA logo on a football field.

The NCAA Division I Council has passed a one-time transfer exception for undergraduate athletes in sports, allowing them to transfer to the school of their choice without having to sit out a year. (AP)

As expected, the NCAA Division I Council has passed a one-time immediate transfer waiver for Division I athletes in all sports, according to multiple reports.

Undergraduate athletes can now transfer from one Division I school to another without sitting out a year. Previously, this only applied for graduate transfers, those released by their previous school or those granted a special waiver by the NCAA.

Dozens of high-profile athletes in football, men’s basketball, women’s basketball, baseball and softball have already entered the transfer portal or enrolled at their new schools in anticipation of the rule change, which has been rumored for months. Still numerous others are now expected to do so.

The one-time transfer waiver is still subject to individual conference rules when an athlete is transferring within the conference. The ACC, Mid-American Conference and American Athletic Conference have all done away with intra-conference transfer restrictions, and others are expected to follow suit.

The NCAA is expected to make an official announcement on Thursday.

• Like 1

Posted yesterday 

Now, is this one-time as in 2021 is the only time recruits will ever be able to transfer, or is it one-time as in from now on, all athletes will be able to transfer once without sitting out a year?

38 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Now, is this one-time as in 2021 is the only time recruits will ever be able to transfer, or is it one-time as in from now on, all athletes will be able to transfer once without sitting out a year?

It's a one-time transfer for all athletes, allowing them to transfer without sitting out a year.  Subject of course to individual conference transfer rules within inner conference.  The SEC transfer rules will have to be amended to stay in line with the new NCAA transfer rule.  It'll be a true free agency. 

Just now, keesler said:

It's a one-time transfer for all athletes, allowing them to transfer without sitting out a year.  Subject of course to individual conference transfer rules within inner conference.  The SEC transfer rules will have to be amended to stay in line with the new NCAA transfer rule.  It'll be a true free agency. 

Ah, I see. I had somehow gotten it in my head that this was one time as in it was only going to happen in 2021. 

And no, it won't be a true free agency. A player just gets a second choice if they don't like their first one. They can't, say, go to 4 schools in 4 years, which is what a TRUE free agency would be.