5 things to watch at A-Day

aubiefifty

5 things to watch for at Auburn’s A-Day

By Giana Han
6-8 minutes

Spring games often provide a nice window into a team’s offseason improvements, but this year’s A-Day holds a different weight for Auburn. It’s the first time people outside the program get to see a completely new offense, a completely new defense and a completely new coaching staff in action.

Prior to Saturday’s 1 p.m. scrimmage, Bryan Harsin held open practices that provided a glimpse. However, those featured more drills than scrimmaging, and the Tigers were still in the beginning stages of their installments at the time. While A-Day won’t be a traditional game, it will provide the best look at who this new Auburn team is before the season starts in September.

With new coaches, new plays and new additions to the roster, there will be plenty to look out for, but here are five big storylines to keep an eye on:

Auburn open practice

Tight end J.J. Pegues (89) blocks linebacker Zakoby McClain (9) and sends him flying through the air during Auburn's open practice on Saturday, March 20, 2021. (Photo by Giana Han)

1. J.J. Pegues, the defensive tackle

One of the most fascinating storylines to come out of spring practice has been J.J. Pegues’s role on the team. After making a splash as a freshman tight end, Pegues came into spring listed in the same spot. But his new coaches felt he could make a difference elsewhere on the field and started moving him around all three units. He officially stayed a tight end through the first half of spring but made the move to defensive tackle once they came back from their weeklong break. The tight ends decided not to kick him out of their group chat, but Pegues is now officially under the wing of Colby Wooden and the other defensive linemen. He’s still at the very start of his transition, but keep an eye out for how that natural ability translates to the defensive line.

Auburn open practice

Ja'Varrius Johnson (6) practices returning the ball with Auburn's special teams during Auburn's practice on Thursday, March 25, 2021. (Photo by Giana Han)

2. Ja’Varrius Johnson in the slot

This name should be well-known by now to those keeping up with the news coming out of spring practice. It didn’t take Ja’Varrius Johnson long to impress. He’s healthy now, and he’s been one of the most consistent playmakers according to the coaches. Besides his health, another factor of his success has been his move to the slot. It’s given him more field to work with, which he takes advantage of with his speed. After the way the coaches have been talking, Johnson’s role in this new offense seems like a given if he continues to perform when they return to campus. But there are other starting jobs up for grabs. As a bonus thing to watch for – keep an eye on which wide receivers are running with the ones. There are a lot of candidates. While a lot could change before the season arrives, that position will be a huge storyline, and it doesn’t hurt to start keeping track now.

Auburn football practice

Edge players Jaren Handy (55) and Derick Hall (25) go through a drill with outside linebackers coach Bert Watts during Auburn's football practice on Thursday, March 25, 2021. (Photo by Giana Han)

3. It’s the edge position now, not the buck position

Auburn had some newcomers break out in the buck position last season, but that position doesn’t exist anymore. Now, it’s called the edge, and it’s not quite the same thing. The edge position leans more towards being an outside linebacker than a true defensive lineman like the buck was. The players on the line have shifted with the roles. Wooden, for example, started at tackle but spent most of his time as a buck or defensive end last year. Now, he is firmly in a defensive end role, which plays lower than he’s used to. Derick Hall went the other way, heading more towards the edge than the interior. Now, he’s an edge and is training with both defensive line coach Nick Eason and outside linebackers coach Bert Watts. The edge versus buck position is just one example of how the defensive front has changed under Derek Mason, but it affects two of Auburn’s most productive returning players.

Auburn open practice

Offensive line coach Will Friend, center, walks with the offensive linemen towards the defense during Auburn's football practice on Thursday, March 25, 2021. (Photo by Giana Han)

4. Shifting offensive line combinations

The offensive line actually returned a starting unit rather than a single starting lineman, but that doesn’t mean that will be the unit that starts Sept. 4. Offensive line coach Will Friend refused to name names when it came to who was looking good, but he did say they would be moving guys around once they get their fundamentals down. This isn’t new to the line since it was forced to mix and match combinations throughout the season as it dealt with numerous injuries. It tried out six different starting combinations with eight different starters in 2020. Clearly, not all of them will start on the five-person line come fall. Auburn needs to find the right chemistry if it wants to get the run game going or get the quarterback to feel safe in the pocket.

Auburn open practice

Bo Nix (10) carries the ball during Auburn's open football practice on Saturday, March 20, 2021. (Photo by Giana Han)

5. Bo Nix’s decision-making

The spring game will not be the best indication of Bo Nix’s improvement or lack of improvement, but the topic is certainly one of the most important of the offseason. The quarterback did not make a big leap from his freshman to sophomore year as many hoped he would, but this change may be good for him. Harsin spoke highly of Nix’s physical abilities but said being a good quarterback really comes down to decision-making. A scrimmage against players he’s familiar won’t stress his decision-making abilities like a real game, but it may demonstrate how Harsin plans to develop that in his inherited five-star quarterback. Harsin has had a great track record with quarterbacks, so it will be worth watching to see if that extends to Nix.

Related articles:

The biggest takeaway for Auburn football’s Austin Troxell from 2020? Confidence

Road to the Pros: How Anthony Schwartz became ‘Flash’

Auburn cornerback Jaylin Simpson is ready for his redemption

Note to readers: if you purchase something through one of our affiliate links we may earn a commission.

It's gonna be all about the lines again this season.  If the Oline can't pass protect and the Dline gets pushed around then 8-5 would be a good "solid" year.  

i just wanna know what section the cheerleaders are going to be at. it seems the more we go forward with college ball the less cheerleaders and band we get to see. i hate this. i cannot even remember the last time i saw the band perform on tv for anyone that i can remember................

2 hours ago, Win4AU said:

It's gonna be all about the lines again this season.  If the Oline can't pass protect and the Dline gets pushed around then 8-5 would be a good "solid" year.  

Can you have both? If our D-line is getting pushed around, then wouldnt that bode well for the O-line and Vice-Versa?

I expect our Oline to get Smoked by the D-line BTW.

I hope Bo is being told to not leave the pocket under any circumstances.  Either make the completion, throw it away, or take the sack.  He really needs to focus on his progressions and not on "how do I make a play".  If the O-line does not hold up.....then it is on them and the coaches can sort through that problem in August.

49 minutes ago, countoff said:

I hope Bo is being told to not leave the pocket under any circumstances.  Either make the completion, throw it away, or take the sack.  He really needs to focus on his progressions and not on "how do I make a play".  If the O-line does not hold up.....then it is on them and the coaches can sort through that problem in August.

If he’s in a non-contact jersey I wouldn’t argue with this....

16 minutes ago, fredst said:

If he’s in a non-contact jersey I wouldn’t argue with this....

There's 100% chance he's going to be non-contact jersey

• WarTiger changed the title to 5 things to watch at A-Day
5 hours ago, Win4AU said:

It always is IMO.

8 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i just wanna know what section the cheerleaders are going to be at. it seems the more we go forward with college ball the less cheerleaders and band we get to see. i hate this. i cannot even remember the last time i saw the band perform on tv for anyone that i can remember................

Be sure and let you know about the cheerleaders fiddy. Love our band and enjoy more with age. If you recall The Auburn Football Review......never a Sunday that Coach Jordan did not give the band special and heartfelt thanks.

13 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Be sure and let you know about the cheerleaders fiddy. Love our band and enjoy more with age. If you recall The Auburn Football Review......never a Sunday that Coach Jordan did not give the band special and heartfelt thanks.

i had forgotten about shug giving the band props. you are very right!

49 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i had forgotten about shug giving the band props. you are very right!

Just to walk and Marriott at Grand National full with good Auburn folks and several “War Eagles”. Great to see for a change. Mrs Salty has decided she will attend A Day with me......unbelievable. 

21 hours ago, Timbeaux38 said:

Can you have both? If our D-line is getting pushed around, then wouldnt that bode well for the O-line and Vice-Versa?

I expect our Oline to get Smoked by the D-line BTW.

I was speaking more about the upcoming season.  I also expect the defense to look better today as they should when installing a new offense 

Looking forward to watching Shivers and Barrett in this scheme, fits both of their running styles better.

Just wanna see better fundamentals from Bo.  

Very interested to see how the db’s work in coverage and if there is any notable changes in techniques and scheme.

And just seeing the wrs and tes in action to get a feel for the talent we got.

This might be a way to see some recruits and convince them AU is the place for them!

Archived