Softball vs. Kentucky Series

We still cannot hit.... high school errors and mistakes. Kentucky gave us this series via the "ERRORS" they committed.... put the ball in play and they make errors...

Edited by AU1947

I have some problems with CMD also, but overall a series win over the #12 team is a good result.  Hard to see how UK won their series with bama, but we have a chance to win a road series this weekend in Oxford.

• Like 2

I was happy to get a series win against the #12 team in the nation.

The hitting still needs improvement, but it looked better than it did at the beginning of SEC play. We got some good ABs throughout the lineup all weekend. King, Koepke, Dowell, and Perry had multiple hits on the weekend. Cox found her way on base a few times with walks. We need more production out of the DP and C positions. Garcia is inconsistent and Godwin is in a big slump. Schmidt took advantage of her pinch hitting opportunity. Majors and McCondichie had quality ABs despite getting out. Hopefully we can get Packer and Bryant back pretty quickly. I think the biggest thing for this team was Alyssa finding her groove at the plate this weekend. She has to be a run producer for this team, and we saw the difference she can make.

I was not surprised to see the pitching staff give up a few runs against this Kentucky team, but our defense played really well outside of Rivera’s mistake yesterday. Surprisingly, Kentucky had a number of errors, and we were able to capitalize on their mistakes to win two games. It shows the importance of pitching and fielding. Hitting might win games but bad fielding will definitely lose them. Florida relied on good pitching and fielding to not lose games over the past few years when their hitting struggled. Myers best teams were also fundamentally sound in the field with the pitch to contact approach.

A few other tidbits, Kowalik was fun to watch this weekend for Kentucky. The umpires were terrible across the board. 

Edited by Jad0003
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jad0003 said:

I was happy to get a series win against the #12 team in the nation.

The hitting still needs improvement, but it looked better than it did at the beginning of SEC play. We got some good ABs throughout the lineup all weekend. King, Koepke, Dowell, and Perry had multiple hits on the weekend. Cox found her way on base a few times with walks. We need more production out of the DP and C positions. Garcia is inconsistent and Godwin is in a big slump. Schmidt took advantage of her pinch hitting opportunity. Majors and McCondichie had quality ABs despite getting out. Hopefully we can get Packer and Bryant back pretty quickly. I think the biggest thing for this team was Alyssa finding her groove at the plate this weekend. She has to be a run producer for this team, and we saw the difference she can make.

I was not surprised to see the pitching staff give up a few runs against this Kentucky team, but our defense played really well outside of Rivera’s mistake yesterday. Surprisingly, Kentucky had a number of errors, and we were able to capitalize on their mistakes to win two games. It shows the importance of pitching and fielding. Hitting might win games but bad fielding will definitely lose them. Florida relied on good pitching and fielding to not lose games over the past few years when their hitting struggled. Myers best teams were also fundamentally sound in the field with the pitch to contact approach.

A few other tidbits, Kowalik was fun to watch this weekend for Kentucky. The umpires were terrible across the board. 

Any news on Koepke? I know she collided with another KY player, and didn't come back in.

Our hitting is such a struggle. We don't get enough from the top of the lineup on a consistent basis, and then whatever power we have mostly isn't there. It is helping to see Rivera get a hold of one every now and then. 

And yesterday our errors kept us from putting pressure on their pitchers w a close game at home...

Hopefully Koepke is okay, but I imagine we won’t know definitively until the Wednesday or Friday games. She’s playing really well defensively at 3B and had some big hits this weekend. 

Agreed on hitting consistency across the board. It was better this weekend, but it still needs to improve. Hopefully getting Packer back will help some, but we need to solidify the DP and C positions. 

I haven’t seen Ole Miss play.  It seems like they pitch and field well, and they score around 2-4 runs a game. If we can score a few runs a game, we can definitely take win this upcoming series. 

Edited by Jad0003

8 hours ago, tigersrock1980 said:

Down 5-1 and CMD has baserunner try and steal second.  Another inning he has ended for the Tigers.  He is so clueless.  

I know those steal attempts sometimes get frustrating but in that situation in the 6th there may be some logic to the attempt.  Godwin at bat (now 8th in batting order) with 1 out and I believe 2 strike count.  She is batting .241.  Schmidt on first has history of 2 for 2 on stolen bases.  As a team our steal % this year is 80% success.  Overall it may appear a better chance of success with attempted steal vs a hit.  As it turned out Godwin struck out swinging and Schmidt was ruled safe at 2nd but called out for leaving first too soon ending the inning. For the series we were 5 of 7 for successful stolen bases (I am counting the Schmidt attempt as not successful since called out for leaving early even though called safe at 2nd)  

5 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Any news on Koepke? I know she collided with another KY player, and didn't come back in.

Our hitting is such a struggle. We don't get enough from the top of the lineup on a consistent basis, and then whatever power we have mostly isn't there. It is helping to see Rivera get a hold of one every now and then. 

And yesterday our errors kept us from putting pressure on their pitchers w a close game at home...

"Freshman centerfielder Makayla Packer and freshman third baseman Denver Bryant were not available. Dean said their absence was not discipline-related and he hopes to have them back within a week."  No news to date on Koepke so far.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jad0003 said:

I believe that Kowalik is the best pure hitter I have seen play in the 5-6 years I've been following softball.  Oddly (to me), she holds her hands about 2" apart on the bat handle.  That seems awkward to me, but it damn sure works for her.  Full disclosure:  I never hit .522.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

I believe that Kowalik is the best pure hitter I have seen play in the 5-6 years I've been following softball.  Oddly (to me), she holds her hands about 2" apart on the bat handle.  That seems awkward to me, but it damn sure works for her.  Full disclosure:  I never hit .522.

She is a rare talent.  She is old school in that she reads the defense and uses whatever hitting style she thinks can get herself on base.  One at bat she slaps and the next at bat she keeps both feet planted and hits for power.  On top of that she is probably the fastest catcher I've ever seen.  She leads the country in hits with 75 and after this weekend she's hitting .532 with 11 home runs.  By herself, she's worth the price of a ticket.  By the way, a split grip is not uncommon in softball.  I believe Kasey Cooper used one as well.

Edited by saminbama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1