A-Day Game thread

Tigerpro2a

1 minute ago, difball said:

If you need to cure insomnia - just play this tape.

Looks pretty bad - most of the same stuff from Bo. Doesn't look like there is a light bulb going off just yet. Seems to rely on the same spin outs and back leg throws.

But my lord if Nix goes down Loy is not an answer - guy can't even put the ball in the same zip code.

Tight end looks and the players are promising.

Might want to get a life insurance in on Tank - they are going to ride him until he is dead.

If you need a CFB fantasy pick - has to be Anders.

All this seems to show to me is how bare the cupboard is right now.

You must have skipped all the A-day games since 2007 if you think this is boring and/or looks bad

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, difball said:

If you need to cure insomnia - just play this tape.

Looks pretty bad - most of the same stuff from Bo. Doesn't look like there is a light bulb going off just yet. Seems to rely on the same spin outs and back leg throws.

But my lord if Nix goes down Loy is not an answer - guy can't even put the ball in the same zip code.

Tight end looks and the players are promising.

Might want to get a life insurance in on Tank - they are going to ride him until he is dead.

If you need a CFB fantasy pick - has to be Anders.

All this seems to show to me is how bare the cupboard is right now.

It’s been a month in a new system, it will be okay 

The TE group will set an Auburn record for receptions and yards this year, bet.   With the OL we have, the TE's are going to be crucial to be successful on offense.  We may see some Borges' stretch to TE side again.   Tank and Shivers will feast once the TE's get their blocking fundamentals and schemes perfected.   

1 minute ago, DAG said:

It’s been a month in a new system, it will be okay 

I hope so - it's his fundamentals that are so bothersome and they don't look like he's been working on it. On this last drive - roll out throw off back foot - ball lands 10 feet in front of receiver

2 minutes ago, bootskii said:

Dematrius Davis reminds me a lot of Nick Marshall. Has some wheels and good moves.

I know that it's a little too early for the MMW thread, but...MMW, he will take Bo's job before Bo runs out of eligibility.

4 minutes ago, difball said:

I hope so - it's his fundamentals that are so bothersome and they don't look like he's been working on it. On this last drive - roll out throw off back foot - ball lands 10 feet in front of receiver

I can't believe I'm admitting to anyone that I watched some of bama's spring game, but I did, and their offense looked like dog water at times.   It's spring man, the way I look at it, the offensive struggles are due to a good defense, which always has the advantage in scrimmages.

1 minute ago, USATiger said:

The TE group will set an Auburn record for receptions and yards this year, bet.   With the OL we have, the TE's are going to be crucial to be successful on offense.  We may see some Borges' stretch to TE side again.   Tank and Shivers will feast once the TE's get their blocking fundamentals and schemes perfected.  

Along with stretch, I'd love to see some H-split zone, wham, TE counters.  Some true 22 split back with Shivers and Tank would be fun to scheme for and difficult to defend

8 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

I know that it's a little too early for the MMW thread, but...MMW, he will take Bo's job before Bo runs out of eligibility.

I didn't want to say it either but I was thinking the same thing. I'm not sure if it's a timing issue with the WR's or what but Nix isn't getting it done. He tries to force the ball to much in my opinion. I am not one of those people that rushes to throw the next guy in there if the QB is having a slump but Davis is looking good and can bring that extra element to the game that we might need this year with our OL being a work in progress.

I really like that throw from Davis. The middle dump with a guy in his face. 

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Along with stretch, I'd love to see some H-split zone, wham, TE counters.  Some true 22 split back with Shivers and Tank would be fun to scheme for and difficult to defend

H-Iso, H-power, H and TE everything, will be the key to a successful running game    

6 minutes ago, USATiger said:

I can't believe I'm admitting to anyone that I watched some of bama's spring game, but I did, and their offense looked like dog water at times.   It's spring man, the way I look at it, the offensive struggles are due to a good defense, which always has the advantage in scrimmages.

Watched part of it too - agree they look like they have a distance to go before they look like "Bama"

The best thing for DD would be a competent, successful Bo Nix. This is coming from a DD fan boy. What that being said , I have no doubt this coaching staff will put who gives us the best opportunity for success on the field. 

3 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Is Cahyil Garrett not going to play in this game? Is he injured? In the doghouse?

That was him playing just now

2 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Is Cahyil Garrett not going to play in this game? Is he injured? In the doghouse?

He and Davis should've split Loy's reps.  I know Loy is mature, he's big and runs fairly well, but he has a noodle.  What I've seen of spring, Garrett and Davis looked to be #2 or #3.  I didn't see any scrimmages of course, but I believe they both move way up the depth chart before Fall ball.

Davis > Loy

Any rep Loy gets in garbage time or against cupcakes is a detriment to DD's development. 

Loy did not look great.

Bo looks improved with some hints of similar issues still showing. I did feel like when he scramble he mostly went forward (had 2-3 really good runs for first downs to keep the drive alive).

I was impressed with the young WRs and Fromm came out of nowhere (everyone has been mentioning Deal/Shenker/Frazier).

Shivers might benefit the most from this new offense.

OL looked much better in run-blocking. Not a fan of the inside pressure being allowed on some pass attempts.

It was a mixed bag run blocking by 1st team O-Line was actually pretty good. They worked well as a unit and were physical. Pass blocking was real good at times and missed assignments at times.  D-Line play was ok but I didn't really see anybody step up.  Bo did a better job of staying in the pocket except when there was a real breakdown his throws on slants were better as he set his feet and threw. His long throws when he stayed in pocket were underthrown in both cases the receivers had created some space. Long throws when on the run inaccurate. Only good long throw of the day came from Davis. Secondary was solid.  1st team LB's were solid. Loy will not be our number 2 QB.  I like some of the TE sets they helped in the running game but still not using enough in passing game.

Considering a brand new offense, basically brand new receivers I saw signs that we will be better offensively. I loved the Play where Hunter beat his man and stopped Tank in the backfield. He will become a dominant Player before he leaves Auburn. But please don't have anybody say he is the next Derrick Brown.  

I think we have something to build on as I was pleased with the play of our interior O-Line both guards and the center. We didn't do as well running outside. Both Bo and Davis showed they can run. Davis is real sudden I would have like to have seen him get one set with 1st team.

I saw some solid routes from receivers but I didn't really see any receiver get great separation also on pass plays where we had 2 o3 TE's the TE's got caught up with LB's and didn't separate they were doing to much hand fighting.

Archived