A-Day Game thread

Tigerpro2a

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, DAG said:

The best thing for DD would be a competent, successful Bo Nix. This is coming from a DD fan boy. What that being said , I have no doubt this coaching staff will put who gives us the best opportunity for success on the field. 

Does DD burn a redshirt in your opinion?

11 minutes ago, difball said:

If it has to be done I am sure they will do it. He needs to be the next option tbh 

This coaching staff has hard four weeks to work on A-Day, and not one Sugar Huddle. So disappointing. 😀🙌

They've only had 15 practices with the new coaches and A day games always seem to be very low intensity.  So it's hard to tell where the team is at overall.

That being said, I was sort of underwhelmed by the 1st team offense.  Thought they should have looked better against our 2nd team defense.  

Who was that #44 on 2nd team defense?   Heard the announcer say he was a Freshman and a linebacker.  He looked more like a DL.  He sure was getting into our 1st team backfield a lot.  He looked like he's gonna be a good one!

29 minutes ago, difball said:

I'm not DAG but with the 4 game redshirt rule I wouldn't unless Bo goes down or is awful. 

He should play half or the majority of Akron, Alabama State, and Georgia State. Save the 4th game for an SEC team we hopefully get a decent lead against (Arkansas, Miss St, or South Carolina hopefully).

Loy definitely didn't help his stock today. 

12 minutes ago, countoff said:

They've only had 15 practices with the new coaches and A day games always seem to be very low intensity.  So it's hard to tell where the team is at overall.

That being said, I was sort of underwhelmed by the 1st team offense.  Thought they should have looked better against our 2nd team defense.  

Who was that #44 on 2nd team defense?   Heard the announcer say he was a Freshman and a linebacker.  He looked more like a DL.  He sure was getting into our 1st team backfield a lot.  He looked like he's gonna be a good one!

#44 was Lee Hunter

Just now, Zeek said:

I'm not DAG but with the 4 game redshirt rule I wouldn't unless Bo goes down or is awful. 

He should play half or the majority of Akron, Alabama State, and Georgia State. Save the 4th game for an SEC team we hopefully get a decent lead against (Arkansas, Miss St, or South Carolina hopefully).

Loy definitely didn't help his stock today. 

No worries - was just throwing the question out there to all really.

I wonder how these situations get handled with this staff- under the previous regime it ruffled some feathers and may have been at the root of the portal transfers. Right now I haven't heard any philosophy on the topic from this staff.

While this situation is at qb, I also think our depth is an issue on both sides of the ball and using the redshirt excuse may prove difficult to defend.

15 minutes ago, difball said:

No worries - was just throwing the question out there to all really.

I wonder how these situations get handled with this staff- under the previous regime it ruffled some feathers and may have been at the root of the portal transfers. Right now I haven't heard any philosophy on the topic from this staff.

While this situation is at qb, I also think our depth is an issue on both sides of the ball and using the redshirt excuse may prove difficult to defend.

I'm assuming Bo starts all of this year and next year as well. It would be wise for Dee to redshirt. That way if he's the next QB1 he would be a starter as a Redshirt Sophomore and have three years to start instead of two. 

He'll have a good competition against Geriner as well though. 

56 minutes ago, Paladin said:

#44 was Lee Hunter

Thanks for the name.  Lee Hunter.  Definitely gonna pay more attention to him.

3 hours ago, Auctoritas said:

I mean...that play was also run in a recent Super Bowl, unless I am mistaken.

Trick and gadget plays are much more mainstream in the NFL now than they ever have been before. 

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Along with stretch, I'd love to see some H-split zone, wham, TE counters.  Some true 22 split back with Shivers and Tank would be fun to scheme for and difficult to defend

Man, lineup in 13 personnel to run the trap play with tank, lul the defense to sleep with it a couple times then run a passing play to a TE across the middle right behind the LBers expecting the trap.  Some straight Brady to Gronk type of stuff.

I'd love to see it

5 hours ago, difball said:

If you need to cure insomnia - just play this tape.

Looks pretty bad - most of the same stuff from Bo. Doesn't look like there is a light bulb going off just yet. Seems to rely on the same spin outs and back leg throws.

But my lord if Nix goes down Loy is not an answer - guy can't even put the ball in the same zip code.

Tight end looks and the players are promising.

Might want to get a life insurance in on Tank - they are going to ride him until he is dead.

If you need a CFB fantasy pick - has to be Anders.

All this seems to show to me is how bare the cupboard is right now.

Just a spring game, but at times the offense was simply painful to watch. Even when Bo was on and they were not allowed to touch him, playing against our second team defense, the O really struggled to score.

Just a practice game though!

13 personnel package football

If we start lining up like this I think I will die of happiness

1 minute ago, Didba said:

Man, lineup in 13 personnel to run the trap play with tank, lul the defense to sleep with it a couple times then run a passing play to a TE across the middle right behind the LBers expecting the trap.  Some straight Brady to Gronk type of stuff.

I'd love to see it

Love to see us run some Texas concepts. Have the TE run an option route (either a seem or a post breaking in-between the S & LB) while Tank runs an angle behind him. 

Guys... we're actually opening holes... we've had games against FCS teams where we never opened holes like this.

EzN6mnTVIAAPPcI.thumb.jpeg.c166a3835ec2efbcf6f03e23250abf7b.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Guys... we're actually opening holes... we've had games against FCS teams where we never opened holes like this.

Someone should tell Troxell his blocking will improve if he opens his eyes. 😁

Finally watched some of the game. The team just looks green. They are relearning but the leaders look a lot more discipline . I did like the physicality from both sides of the ball. I do think the RBs and TE play will be major key. Nix is trying but man he just looks so unorthodox going through progression. Loy ain’t it. DD had an amazing dime but again still needs work. Can’t wait to see where these guys will be this fall. 

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Love to see us run some Texas concepts. Have the TE run an option route (either a seem or a post breaking in-between the S & LB) while Tank runs an angle behind him. 

Would love to see Tank run the Texas route, so tough for safeties and linebackers to defend.  CMC runs a perfect texas route in this video, and tank could easily do the same type of stuff in this system

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

A shame it was finally against our on d line lol. Hope to see plenty of that this season.

8 hours ago, difball said:

Looks pretty bad - most of the same stuff from Bo. Doesn't look like there is a light bulb going off just yet. Seems to rely on the same spin outs and back leg throws.

"light bulb coming on" is the terminology that was probably intended here. 

I didn't get watch so I'm not agreeing or disagreeing about Bo. 

Archived