A Day Thoughts/Observations

Barnacle

For those of us who didn't watch (I could only catch a few plays), what did you like, not like? Would love to get y'all's takeaways. 

How did the o line look? How was Shivers used? Nix? 

Run scheme's benefits Tank and Shivers, and a questionable OL.  Wr's are an issue, but the depth and talent of the TE group will help tremendously in both the run and pass games.  

Nix looked like a guy trying to change his tendencies but they showed in many situations.  Loy may be #2 QB right now, but that will not last, IMO.   #1 defense looked good but gave up a few big runs.  Downfield passing is non-existent but like all good Offensive coaches, Bobo realized the need to try and get the ball deep on a regular basis.  

Tank and Shivers have to stay healthy or it will get ugly.   

Shivers showed what he is, a physical downhill guy that can bounce when needed but is a between the tackles runner for sure.  I won't go in to detail about the mental midgets that used to coach here, but Shivers is a perfect case study in how not to utilize talent.

Edited by USATiger
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Nix looked crisp on short passes but passes of 15 yards or more were constantly under or over thrown. Hard to really tell anything else. Defense looked good..... I guess

Please be honest . No sunshine just truth . Was there a football on a rope for pregame ?? That’s all I need to know 

I thought Nix started out pretty well but his tendencies quickly showed, and that's without him being live. Hoping Harsin and Bobo go get a quarterback from the portal to at least push him if not take the job outright. DD looked pretty good, especially on that deep ball. Probably needs a year to develop but he will be our backup unless they get a transfer. Loy looked rough to put it kindly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My observations:

Didn't see much different on offense. It looks like some similar Malzahn plays: Inside zone read option, lots of inside zone (similar to Chip Lindsey's offense while at AU), and 3WR and an H-Back a lot. I also saw some RPOs that looked like they were from Chip Lindsey's playbook. I did see the Harson stretch/outside zone once, and a few times I saw the double tight end looks similar to Boise State.

Defensive line was interesting. Very Derek Mason. True 3-4  at times and "2-4" look with two down linemen and two standing edge players. Watch Lee Hunter. Guy was at 0-Tech 3-4 nose tackle a fair amount. That is not bad for a true freshman.

The defense was hitting hard for the most part. I liked that. The DL was running half speed a few seconds after the snap since the QB was not live. But they did get into the backfield.

Overall, I think both the ones and the twos on defense were respectable.

Second/Third Team offensive lines looked bad. Prince Sammons could not handle the edge rusher from the right tackle position.

Dematrius Davis looked good. I would have liked to have seen more of him. He did escape the pocket once when he should not have.

My early takeaways. The defense is going to be our strength. The OL is going to be our weakness. The weaker OL might be why we ran a fair amount of zone read option plays.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Truly just treated us like a high school team, that was told what to do and when to do it. The more I hear, the more I’m disgusted we didn’t change sooner. 

Given the Center is supposed to be the leader of the OL, and read the defense and call the blocking scheme, this will be a big improvement.

However, in the old Gus Malzahn hyperspeed offense, that is not important. Not to knock Gus, but go back and watch the 2-13 SECCG. That was a HUNH clinic. But it collapses when you slow down.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, au302 said:

I thought Nix started out pretty well but his tendencies quickly showed, and that's without him being live. Hoping Harsin and Bobo go get a quarterback from the portal to at least push him if not take the job outright. DD looked pretty good, especially on that deep ball. Probably needs a year to develop but he will be our backup unless they get a transfer. Loy looked rough to put it kindly.

Agree. I hope Bo looks at a getting a high-end QB coach over the summer. If he has any hopes of going to the NFL he has to improve.

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

How did the o line look? How was Shivers used? Nix? 

Shivers looked better than before. I think he has put on a few pounds, and has a chip on his shoulder. He accelerates very fast. He is the anti-Kerryon. Shivers is through the line quickly. Of course, that can result in only a 1 yard gain against a good defense with great LBs.

• Like 1

Tank is the best one cut back I have ever seen. If the o-line can get him to the second level, he will be a threat to score every time.

Don't know if the receivers were getting knocked off their routes or were running the wrong routes, but there did not appear to be a lot of

separation, and the quarterbacks struggled to get the ball to them against the one's D.

Definitely need to get (transfer or develop) an SEC back to help Tank before fall or he won't last the season.

D. Davis is a bit short. Not sure how he will get the ball downfield against SEC defensive lineman.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, meh130 said:

Agree. I hope Bo looks at a getting a high-end QB coach over the summer. If he has any hopes of going to the NFL he has to improve.

Probably a good idea. Personally I just don’t think he’s a next level guy. On a different note, I was not able to watch the game, but Harsin commented briefly about Moultry, Alec Jackson , handy and hardy about not being part of today’s plan. Any thoughts? Those are guys we need and just seemed he brushed off taking about them. Even said “we will have more guys coming in the summer and we can revisit things then”. Hope it’s not a bad sign. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, CodeRocket said:

Tank is the best one cut back I have ever seen. If the o-line can get him to the second level, he will be a threat to score every time.

Don't know if the receivers were getting knocked off their routes or were running the wrong routes, but there did not appear to be a lot of

separation, and the quarterbacks struggled to get the ball to them against the one's D.

Definitely need to get (transfer or develop) an SEC back to help Tank before fall or he won't last the season.

D. Davis is a bit short. Not sure how he will get the ball downfield against SEC defensive lineman.

He is still young.....a teenager. Give him a year or two with optimal nutrition and he could pick up a couple of inches. He will continue to grow until he's about 23-24.  And you never know....Johnny Football was not a tall QB1 either but he had great success in college. He won't be 6'6 250 but maybe he can work out. He seems pretty talented otherwise.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

Probably a good idea. Personally I just don’t think he’s a next level guy. On a different note, I was not able to watch the game, but Harsin commented briefly about Moultry, Alec Jackson , handy and hardy about not being part of today’s plan. Any thoughts? Those are guys we need and just seemed he brushed off taking about them. Even said “we will have more guys coming in the summer and we can revisit things then”. Hope it’s not a bad sign. 

I found that odd as well. Moultry and Hardy are two guys that I have always feared would never get it together, especially Moultry. But Jackson and Handy really surprised me. Handy has been on twitter all spring talking about how much he loves the new staff. Jackson has never seemed to have any issues either. Hopefully it's non-discipline related but that quote sure made it seem like somethings amiss. 

• Like 1

If you're not in Twitter you missed this fun meme.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CodeRocket said:

Just watch Bryce Young for Turds.....he is just as short and has no issue with bigger OL

4 minutes ago, Zeek said:

If you're not in Twitter you missed this fun meme.

You gotta' admire the optimism!!

• Like 1

I guess my only observation is that apparently some fans thought they actually learned something by watching this game.

Edited by boisnumber1
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

my focus today was primarily on the Offense on both sides so I didn't catch much from the D side. Did anybody see JJ on the DL and if so how did he perform? Also, who were our OLBS on 1st team?

8 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

I guess my only observation is that apparently some fans thought they actually learned something by watching this game.

Good observation!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

my focus today was primarily on the Offense on both sides so I didn't catch much from the D side. Did anybody see JJ on the DL and if so how did he perform? Also, who were our OLBS on 1st team?

He got through the offensive line a few times from what I saw and also blew up a reverse pass play.. I think he is athletic and will make an impact. Huge.