A Day Thoughts/Observations

Barnacle

4 hours ago, USATiger said:

Shivers showed what he is, a physical downhill guy that can bounce when needed but is a between the tackles runner for sure.  I won't go in to detail about the mental midgets that used to coach here, but Shivers is a perfect case study in how not to utilize talent.

key-and-peele-keegan.gif

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

i-tried-to-tell-you-but-you-wouldnt-list

What's really is confusing is...with all of our depth, why don't we just substitute another lineman that has good football IQ. Damn I wish Bill Taylor was still around!

• Love 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, meh130 said:

My observations:

Didn't see much different on offense. It looks like some similar Malzahn plays: Inside zone read option, lots of inside zone (similar to Chip Lindsey's offense while at AU), and 3WR and an H-Back a lot. I also saw some RPOs that looked like they were from Chip Lindsey's playbook. I did see the Harson stretch/outside zone once, and a few times I saw the double tight end looks similar to Boise State.

Defensive line was interesting. Very Derek Mason. True 3-4  at times and "2-4" look with two down linemen and two standing edge players. Watch Lee Hunter. Guy was at 0-Tech 3-4 nose tackle a fair amount. That is not bad for a true freshman.

The defense was hitting hard for the most part. I liked that. The DL was running half speed a few seconds after the snap since the QB was not live. But they did get into the backfield.

Overall, I think both the ones and the twos on defense were respectable.

Second/Third Team offensive lines looked bad. Prince Sammons could not handle the edge rusher from the right tackle position.

Dematrius Davis looked good. I would have liked to have seen more of him. He did escape the pocket once when he should not have.

My early takeaways. The defense is going to be our strength. The OL is going to be our weakness. The weaker OL might be why we ran a fair amount of zone read option plays.

I tend to agree it looked like a Chip Lindsey/Gus offense out there with a few exceptions.

Granted it’s just a practice game, but there just seemed to be a slow, at times disorganized feel/look to the game. Again, it’s just a spring game.

D looked good most of the time with so many starters returning. 

3 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Just watch Bryce Young for Turds.....he is just as short and has no issue with bigger OL

Bryce Young is a lil' b****

Just kidding but seriously don't cite a turd bring up a Drew Brees/Russell Wilson type

14 hours ago, Zeek said:

Bryce Young is a lil' VERY FINE YOUNG MAN that we don't root for due to his team and life decisions.

Just kidding but seriously don't cite a turd bring up a Drew Brees/Russell Wilson type

Turd or not, I recognize talent when I see it. Kid is going to be a problem. I get where you coming from though.

Edited by Tigerpro2a

A different observation. Why did we need to charge $10 per person. IMHO A-day should be free and a great opportunity for families to attend together, especially those who can't afford the cost of regular season tickets.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Brahms got pancaked by a DL in the 2nd half. Not sure who the DL was but it didn't look good for Bo’s center to get abused like that. We saw that too often last year so somethings got to change or our offense will not be any better than last year. 

11 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Turd or not, I recognize talent when I see it. Kid is going to be a problem. I get where you coming from though.

could you edit my quote before I get in trouble lol thought that word for sure would be auto-censored 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

could you edit my quote before I get in trouble lol thought that word for sure would be auto-censored 

Take a lap!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Gr82batigr said:

Brahms got pancaked by a DL in the 2nd half. Not sure who the DL was but it didn't look good for Bo’s center to get abused like that. We saw that too often last year so somethings got to change or our offense will not be any better than last year. 

It's been routine since 2018. Kim, Horton, and Brahms have played a lot of snaps from their back.  

I almost rather start Jernigan and take our lumps...almost

• Thanks 1

Bo was ok on short passes not so much on intermediate and longer. You can see he's been trying to work on foot work. Still ancy in the pocket. 

Clearly these are things needed improving and it's not just his o line sucks. 

It's going to look bad then it'll get better and everybody will be better from it. 

To me the day looked like it was supposed to. A team transitioning from a mediocre team into a great one.

To the people who owe me an apology about Bo, don't worry about it just support my podcast when I get it going. 

Everybody should be happy to have a football team again! I'm excited on where we go from here!

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Bro! I hate when that happens lol! I never even thought about just asking whoever quoted me to edit it. I'm usually just like damn titan is definitely going to have a few words about this 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It's been routine since 2018. Kim, Horton, and Brahms have played a lot of snaps from their back.  

I almost rather start Jernigan and take our lumps...almost

I'm hoping Council can get back and take over at center. An interior of Manning/Council/Jones is not bad at all imo, at least in the run game. Tackles are another story. It was interesting that they started Coffey for Hamm to start the second half. I will go back and watch again but I have always hoped Coffey could take over at RT and let Hamm either slide into RG or be the super utility guy for the line. They really need to bring in a transfer at LT but I'm not sure if they're really looking or not.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Barnacle said:

For those of us who didn't watch (I could only catch a few plays), what did you like, not like? Would love to get y'all's takeaways. 

How did the o line look? How was Shivers used? Nix? 

I couldn’t predict the play. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 4

27 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

We were charging $5 before Gus got there. You need a pic of Tim Jackson.

And paid how much to make sure he wasn't here anymore

• Thanks 1

Manning and Jones both looked good run blocking. Yes Brahm's got knocked on his butt on one play but the long Tank run it was a Brahm's block that opened the hole. I think we have a lot more D-Line depth this year then last year. Hunter was second team and a disruptive presence at times and we will be adding 3 more in the fall Leota who I think will be a pass rusher and edge defender Dylan Brooks as end or edge and Marquis Robinson at DT. It will take a while for Robinson and Brooks to learn enough but with some early games that we should dominate in they should get some valuable PT. We have some big TE's that can help our run game and should be targets especially in Red Zone. I really wanted to see Barret get some runs with 1st team as second team O-Line was getting beat so often it was hard to tell if he would be able to help us.

Inside Run Blocking was solid we had some big holes and Tank and Shivers took advantage of it.  I like the screen pass to Tank.  I know everybody was down on O-Lline but I saw some positives. Defense is always ahead early in the season especially when you have a brand new offensive scheme. Tackle is still our Achilles heal. I was hoping at least one to stand out but I didn't see that.  Nix worries me 1st half he only had 3 incompletions and one was a drop, second half he seemed to regress.   I tend to watch O-Line and D-Line play more then WR and DB play but no WR just wowed me that or DB's played really well but I would like to hear Bird's view there was it good DB play or were WR's just not running good routes and getting separation. With some of our big receivers I would have also like to have seen some back shoulder throws..

Bo has to under throw on deep balls as he was putting a lot of air on them. Last year  he had a bad habit of overthrowing by 2 or 3 yards I was wondering if all the air was trying to compensate for last years overthrows. 

I saw enough to give me some hope for next year and I also saw enough to give me same worry for next year. My big hope is that with more reps the O-Line will solidify as they learn the system and that the play calling will utilize the TE's to help both the O-Line and the QB. I did notice both the O-Line and D-Line looked bigger that last year.

• Like 2

It's fun to look at this and prior ADay threads, one thing they have in common is "D is so much better than the O" (duh) and our starting RB gonna go crazy this Fall.

• Like 1

CBH said the receivers ran the wrong route several times and that hurt Bo some. I think he’s going to be just fine.

• Like 3

@Momma Worm I am so proud and excited that V8 decided to stay with this new staff and team. He was awesome at the ADay game yesterday. I truly believe this new system will let him shine and be the player we all know he is. I’d be willing to bet you were enjoying it and yelling loudly, “see I told y’all my boy/man (cause he’s a MAN) could be a between the tackles power back”. Can’t wait to see him killing it this fall. War Worm and War Eagle 🦅 

• Like 3
  • Love 3

11 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

A different observation. Why did we need to charge $10 per person. IMHO A-day should be free and a great opportunity for families to attend together, especially those who can't afford the cost of regular season tickets.

90% off should be a good deal

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Yes Brahm's got knocked on his butt on one play but the long Tank run it was a Brahm's block that opened the hole

I really hope he can be better, but the kid he blocked was a 180 pound walk on.