A Day Thoughts/Observations

Barnacle

In a few years we’ll be saying that “this recruit runs like Shaun Shivers, or he reminds me of V8Runnin”.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

By the numbers: Dematrius Davis had a 6% higher completion percentage than Nix, and 14.66 more yards per completion than Nix 😀

Now, that is based on a very, very sparce sample of data (insignificant outside armchair sports analysis), in a simulated game, where the conditions for the two were not identical in their respective drives. So it is a dubious comparison. Davis looks  comfortable in a collapsing pocket, but equally competent as Nix at pulling it down and running if receviers are covered and a wide gap is open. Again, this is only based on the few A-Day stats.

(subjecting self to being ostracized and crucified)To me, Nix looked like he was battling Satan himself tryig to keep himself in the pocket and go through progressions, and was stil happiest scrambling. When he threw, it sure looked like it was in 'fade' form, still off his back foot, regardless of the objective distance. But the kid has athletic talent in arm and feet that keep it from going haywire some of the time. Not condemning or politikin' for anybody. Looked like everybody was engaged and trying. Willingness to learn and play hard will go a long way toward mitigating the several current deficiencies on both sides of the ball til everybody is calibrated. They don't look like world beaters at this VERY early stage, but they also don't look like they'll spend much longer wandering in the wilderness.

Going from centralized decision-making and no thinking allowed, to distributed decision making at each position will look like a step backward for a while, til it's 10 steps forward. It's a small step forward. Not painful to watch, knowing the plan. WDE

• Like 2

1 hour ago, toddc said:

In a few years we’ll be saying that “this recruit runs like Shaun Shivers, or he reminds me of V8Runnin”.

Wish we hadn’t utilized him so poorly to this point

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Bother me, hell no. It's just words. But I sit here writing on it, bc it amazes me how many really hate him enough to bring him up at every whim, when it coincides with something the football team, coach, probably even the cleaning crew have done...

I guess I will just stay in Gus Purgatory for the next 5 years. :)

Even that outlook is funny to me. Some people are invested in the team. Some people know more about football than others. Some know more about the inner workings than others. Everybody on here has their own individual stuff. You just stated that you don't care that much.

If the others that do are more invested why would it be a problem to you a person that doesn't care too much? Especially if they know a little more about it than you because they may invest more time or whatever because you don't care that much? 

Why choose to care when someone who has done their homework is explaining their thoughts. At MOST all you have to do is not read it and scroll to whatever part of the board you do care about? 

That doesn't make sense to me. It's like the people who will come in a thread during the off season when absolutely nothing is going on then cry about stay on topic! Sorry it's the off season and nobody knows ANYTHING about what this guy is thinking right now so we decided to talk football since this is a football board. 

You have to be insane to think that sometimes Gus is going to come up literally the first freaking off season since he's left. 

And this is not directed to you but the other guys complaining have a long list of people they have talked crap about. But since this is their favorite guy they expect to be able and tell other people what to write. They had no problems bashing several players when they left. That's complete b.s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Even that outlook is funny to me. Some people are invested in the team. Some people know more about football than others. Some know more about the inner workings than others. Everybody on here has their own individual stuff. You just stated that you don't care that much.

If the others that do are more invested why would it be a problem to you a person that doesn't care too much? Especially if they know a little more about it than you because they may invest more time or whatever because you don't care that much? 

Why choose to care when someone who has done their homework is explaining their thoughts. At MOST all you have to do is not read it and scroll to whatever part of the board you do care about? 

That doesn't make sense to me. It's like the people who will come in a thread during the off season when absolutely nothing is going on then cry about stay on topic! Sorry it's the off season and nobody knows ANYTHING about what this guy is thinking right now so we decided to talk football since this is a football board. 

You have to be insane to think that sometimes Gus is going to come up literally the first freaking off season since he's left. 

And this is not directed to you but the other guys complaining have a long list of people they have talked crap about. But since this is their favorite guy they expect to be able and tell other people what to write. They had no problems bashing several players when they left. That's complete b.s.

Right ? Do the people who tell others to stop talking about Gus understands subconsciously you feed into it. The fact is this team is directly still impacted by his failures. So yes until it is two to three years down the road, he will have some indirect connection with this bunch. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

This whole back-and-forth was started by a gif-only post that was intended by @bigbirdto be funny (which it was). Good lord, the man damaged the program enough, wish he wasn’t still f’ing up the boards too, lol. I wish he’d have been fired 4 years earlier just because of how badly he divided the fan base

Edited by fredst
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Now that you guys are getting excited again, I better see you getting pumped and posting videos in my annual hype video thread that I create 100 days from kick-off!  :bananadance:

Edited by abw0004

Loy would be my QB5 behind Bo, Dee, Garnett, and Pate.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, toddc said:

CBH said the receivers ran the wrong route several times and that hurt Bo some. I think he’s going to be just fine.

Are you sure? That can’t possibly be the case because Bobo and Harsin are coaching the O now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, fredst said:

This whole back-and-forth was started by a gif-only post that was intended by @bigbirdto be funny (which it was). Good lord, the man damaged the program enough, wish he wasn’t still f’ing up the boards too, lol. I wish he’d have been fired 4 years earlier just because of how badly he divided the fan base

I’m have no idea about anybody else. IMO Malzahn owns responsibility for football taxied over the time he was at Auburn. Blaming him for the amount of his contract impact is almost as ludicrous as blaming him for the $10 tickets to get into the spring game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

The two of you are priceless.

Why aren't movies and a coke a dime any more?

Why did we have to increase revenue? Because we made an absurd contract to an inept coach and then had to pay him 22 million to leave. That along with a cancelled season is why. You and mikey think otherwise, I don't mind if y'all make yourselves look dumb.

Yes, and then our AD from Buffalo hired a coach from Boise Idaho.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Yes, and then our AD from Buffalo hired a coach from Boise Idaho.

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148864fwfwhhkcy1bl2kejz

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, fredst said:

What is the point here?

Don’t take the bait! 😆 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, toddc said:
28 minutes ago, fredst said:

What is the point here?

Don’t take the bait! 😆

Lol. I know. Curious....

Edited by fredst

12 hours ago, Momma Worm said:

Lol... thank you! I was actually pretty chill yesterday but I did do my, “run baby run!” yell during his series.I don’t entertain the negative! He can do all the right things & people will still find something wrong or negative to say. He’s not a fan favorite on the field & we’re cool with that! However, I’m appreciative to the fans that believe & support him... much ❤️!  He’s a senior that graduates in December & the sky is the limit for him! It was a bright spot yesterday to see him do his thing.... it looked like him in high school all over again️I’m excited for the season #WarDamn Eagle 

Great to see your post @Momma Worm!!!  But I have to disagree with one thing.   Worm IS a fan favorite!!!  And a whole bunch of us are super excited to see him do his thing this fall!!!  I would put our top 2 RBs up against anybody’s and like our chances!

• Like 8

8 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Great to see your post @Momma Worm!!!  But I have to disagree with one thing.   Worm IS a fan favorite!!!  And a whole bunch of us are super excited to see him do his thing this fall!!!  I would put our top 2 RBs up against anybody’s and like our chances!

Worm is a favorite of some. And he's very well liked as a leader and competitor by most. But he has received very little praise from the fan base that wasn't mitigated by some form of "he's not meant to be a true every down running back". 

I can probably name the people on this forum who have supported him as a guy who can run between the tackles on meaningful downs and be a 100+ carry back.

It's not just a Worm thing. Auburn fans have a long tradition of doubting what certain, supremely talented RBs can do. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

For those who would like to see the A-day game, it will be on the SEC network at 8:00 pm tonight. Also a few more times over the next week.

• Thanks 3

14 hours ago, DAG said:

Right ? Do the people who tell others to stop talking about Gus understands subconsciously you feed into it. The fact is this team is directly still impacted by his failures. So yes until it is two to three years down the road, he will have some indirect connection with this bunch. 

Then I will just patiently wait for those 3 years to pass. And for others, I am glad you got a laugh out of my comments. I enjoy that much more in going back and forth here. :)

31 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Not really

Ha. I should have written “I am curious”. The defense of our existing coach was on some level admirable but misguided. The continued defense of said coach while taking shots at his replacement(before a game has even been played) is just weird

• Like 4

I believe Worm will go off in a game early in the season.  He's gonna take a hand-off, break a tackle and take (or 2 or 3)  it to the house from 50+.  He'll get the attention from the fans and the opposing defenses he deserves. I'm so glad he stuck around to be in this offense.  

• Like 3