Jump to content
Null

A Day Thoughts/Observations


Recommended Posts

On 4/17/2021 at 5:08 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

That #14 QB, I guess Loy, is absolutely terrible at throwing past 4 yards down the field 

I didn’t watch much of much, but I think 50/50 balls and touch deep passes are going to be nonexistent 

I was shocked at how he got a lot of reps compared to the other backups. If Loy is our backup...dear GOD help us! The fact that he played the entire 1st half looking as bad as he did was confusing to me. Let the other 3 guys switch out series the 1st half. Liked DD in the limited time he got. Garnett is better than some may realize. But the entire Loy situation is the main thing i didn't like about A-Day. 

One of my biggest issues with Gus was that he was incapable of developing any QB less alone a backup so seeing that didn't give me the warm and fuzzies. Maybe there was a method to it but i'd think A-Day would've been great for the fans to see more of the other QBs.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites




  • Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lol... thank you! I was actually pretty chill yesterday but I did do my, “run baby run!” yell during his series.I don’t entertain the negative! He can do all the right things & people will still f

Truly just treated us like a high school team, that was told what to do and when to do it. The more I hear, the more I’m disgusted we didn’t change sooner. 

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I was shocked at how he got a lot of reps compared to the other backups. If Loy is our backup...dear GOD help us! The fact that he played the entire 1st half looking as bad as he did was confusing to me. Let the other 3 guys switch out series the 1st half. Liked DD in the limited time he got. Garnett is better than some may realize. But the entire Loy situation is the main thing i didn't like about A-Day. 

One of my biggest issues with Gus was that he was incapable of developing any QB less alone a backup so seeing that didn't give me the warm and fuzzies. Maybe there was a method to it but i'd think A-Day would've been great for the fans to see more of the other QBs.  

I’m hoping it was just catering to the guy so he wouldn’t transfer before Fall. There’s no way in hell Dematrius doesn’t pass the guy up by fall 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I’m hoping it was just catering to the guy so he wouldn’t transfer before Fall. There’s no way in hell Dematrius doesn’t pass the guy up by fall 

Well after that...he may be welcomed to transfer. My thinking was they may have had in their minds already to redshirt DD. Idk. But what i do know is that the QB backup position needs to be wide open after seeing Loy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I was shocked at how he got a lot of reps compared to the other backups. If Loy is our backup...dear GOD help us! The fact that he played the entire 1st half looking as bad as he did was confusing to me. Let the other 3 guys switch out series the 1st half. Liked DD in the limited time he got. Garnett is better than some may realize. But the entire Loy situation is the main thing i didn't like about A-Day. 

One of my biggest issues with Gus was that he was incapable of developing any QB less alone a backup so seeing that didn't give me the warm and fuzzies. Maybe there was a method to it but i'd think A-Day would've been great for the fans to see more of the other QBs.  

Calm down. The other two guys are green and I imagine the coaching staff were trying to see if he could separate himself in game time position. I believe they wanted to give him the benefit of a doubt as an experience player. Clearly, he isn't it. Further, Gus would not have even allowed the second string QB to play like QB#1. It would've been hand off after hand off, so the comparison isn't even close.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Calm down. The other two guys are green and I imagine the coaching staff were trying to see if he could separate himself in game time position. I believe they wanted to give him the benefit of a doubt as an experience player. Clearly, he isn't it. Further, Gus would not have even allowed the second string QB to play like QB#1. It would've been hand off after hand off, so the comparison isn't even close.

I have been upset about this since watching the game, but that is a very well thought piece of logic there and I believe you hit the nail on the head. Give him every opportunity to separate himself since he is a SR and the other guys are so young and green. Thanks DAG....I know that wasn't in response to me, but it makes me feel better! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I was shocked at how he got a lot of reps compared to the other backups. If Loy is our backup...dear GOD help us! The fact that he played the entire 1st half looking as bad as he did was confusing to me. Let the other 3 guys switch out series the 1st half. Liked DD in the limited time he got. Garnett is better than some may realize. But the entire Loy situation is the main thing i didn't like about A-Day. 

One of my biggest issues with Gus was that he was incapable of developing any QB less alone a backup so seeing that didn't give me the warm and fuzzies. Maybe there was a method to it but i'd think A-Day would've been great for the fans to see more of the other QBs.  

I am at the point where Auburn has become the Alabama of old with how the quarterback situation is playing out with a certain group. Harsin will end up having a situation similar to Gus with the departure of Malik Willis if not careful. D Davis comes to Auburn with a lot of prestige, if your stats are better than Kyler Murry coming out of high school that is big, remind me where Murry was taken in the draft, there is to much emphasis being given to a certain QB. The blame have seem to have shifted to the WR and trust me the o-line is not yet out of the water for their fair share of blame, it's everybody fault but Bo, soon Harsin will feel the raft of blame to if and when Auburn lose a few game, look, I hope Bo makes me eat crow, and trust me, I will be the first to admit I was wrong but the optics at Auburn now with it's QB room is very telling and I am not a fan of it.

  • Facepalm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, DAG said:

Calm down. The other two guys are green and I imagine the coaching staff were trying to see if he could separate himself in game time position. I believe they wanted to give him the benefit of a doubt as an experience player. Clearly, he isn't it. Further, Gus would not have even allowed the second string QB to play like QB#1. It would've been hand off after hand off, so the comparison isn't even close.

what was Bo when he stepped foot on campus??? was he not GREEN.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

what was Bo when he stepped foot on campus??? was he not GREEN.

Lmao Bo was going to be the starter from day 1 with Gus. Use your head. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

I am at the point where Auburn has become the Alabama of old with how the quarterback situation is playing out with a certain group. Harsin will end up having a situation similar to Gus with the departure of Malik Willis if not careful. D Davis comes to Auburn with a lot of prestige, if your stats are better than Kyler Murry coming out of high school that is big, remind me where Murry was taken in the draft, there is to much emphasis being given to a certain QB. The blame have seem to have shifted to the WR and trust me the o-line is not yet out of the water for their fair share of blame, it's everybody fault but Bo, soon Harsin will feel the raft of blame to if and when Auburn lose a few game, look, I hope Bo makes me eat crow, and trust me, I will be the first to admit I was wrong but the optics at Auburn now with it's QB room is very telling and I am not a fan of it.

You sound ridiculous. Kyler Murray really struggled at A&M or did you forget that ? Him transferring and learning behind Baker Mayfield played dividends for his maturity . Good lord. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

I am at the point where Auburn has become the Alabama of old with how the quarterback situation is playing out with a certain group. Harsin will end up having a situation similar to Gus with the departure of Malik Willis if not careful. D Davis comes to Auburn with a lot of prestige, if your stats are better than Kyler Murry coming out of high school that is big, remind me where Murry was taken in the draft, there is to much emphasis being given to a certain QB. The blame have seem to have shifted to the WR and trust me the o-line is not yet out of the water for their fair share of blame, it's everybody fault but Bo, soon Harsin will feel the raft of blame to if and when Auburn lose a few game, look, I hope Bo makes me eat crow, and trust me, I will be the first to admit I was wrong but the optics at Auburn now with it's QB room is very telling and I am not a fan of it.

It's very early so i'm trying not to read into it too much. It was just a bit surprising how much time Loy got considering he didn't look good at all. I know Loy has been hurt so maybe that was his time to see if he could be the backup. We don't know. I'm just guessing at the reasoning b/c i just hope it's not because he's expected to be the backup...**nervous***. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Well after that...he may be welcomed to transfer. My thinking was they may have had in their minds already to redshirt DD. Idk. But what i do know is that the QB backup position needs to be wide open after seeing Loy.

I think that was probably their plans once upon a time, but guys look different under the lights. What has helped Loy to this point, IMO, is that we haven't seen this guy in game time. Gus fumbled the hell out of Joey admittedly, but with how hurt (and bad) Bo was at times, I think he would've thrown out a different look at least a few times if he had that. Grant Loy...is not a different look...or at least one you want to see

I just think Harsin and Bobo has been kicked the can on getting stellar QB play out of this current depth chart, and is just seeking to make improvements. To that extent, Loy is a body that allows for Chayil and DD to avoid blowing a year. IMO, I think DD would be next up if Nix got seriously hurt, but Grant will be backup. Going into next offseason? I think Loy graduates anyway, but if he didn't...uh

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

I am at the point where Auburn has become the Alabama of old with how the quarterback situation is playing out with a certain group. Harsin will end up having a situation similar to Gus with the departure of Malik Willis if not careful. D Davis comes to Auburn with a lot of prestige, if your stats are better than Kyler Murry coming out of high school that is big, remind me where Murry was taken in the draft, there is to much emphasis being given to a certain QB. The blame have seem to have shifted to the WR and trust me the o-line is not yet out of the water for their fair share of blame, it's everybody fault but Bo, soon Harsin will feel the raft of blame to if and when Auburn lose a few game, look, I hope Bo makes me eat crow, and trust me, I will be the first to admit I was wrong but the optics at Auburn now with it's QB room is very telling and I am not a fan of it.

Absolutely insane to compare a new staff giving their most experienced option first reps to Kevin Sumlin and Kyler Murray.... and to also insinuate that DD will be shelved because of one spring game. You don't even know their true intentions, ITS STILL SPRING lmao. The rest of this is just insane to read

There's no fanbase like Auburn fans 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DAG said:

Calm down. The other two guys are green and I imagine the coaching staff were trying to see if he could separate himself in game time position. I believe they wanted to give him the benefit of a doubt as an experience player. Clearly, he isn't it. Further, Gus would not have even allowed the second string QB to play like QB#1. It would've been hand off after hand off, so the comparison isn't even close.

Not me getting worked up. The other guys should've gotten more reps is all. Despite what happens at that position, A-day is about the fans. Fans would've liked to have seen more of DD no matter how the backup spot plays out. I thought it would have been split a little more when you talk about good on good. That's all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Not me getting worked up. The other guys should've gotten more reps is all. Despite what happens at that position, A-day is about the fans. Fans would've liked to have seen more of DD no matter how the backup spot plays out. I thought it would have been split a little more when you talk about good on good. That's all.

Fans can kick rocks. It’s about figuring what is going have the best success for this team in the long run. That’s the problem right there.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DAG said:

Fans can kick rocks. It’s about figuring what is going have the best success for this team in the long run. That’s the problem right there.

ok.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

ok.

I am not trying to be harsh. I am just simply saying the fans can't dictate the plan, even in A-Day. This isn't a circus. I truly believe CBH is very methodical and has a reason for all of his decisions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Absolutely insane to compare a new staff giving their most experienced option first reps to Kevin Sumlin and Kyler Murray.... and to also insinuate that DD will be shelved because of one spring game. You don't even know their true intentions, ITS STILL SPRING lmao. The rest of this is just insane to read

There's no fanbase like Auburn fans 

how is that insane.. the book don't lie Barrett/Frazier/Franklin/Willis/Burns/Wallace all had very very short leashes, can you not see the trend here? there are a lot of upset fans that didn't like what they saw on Saturday especially given the last two years, there are plenty of fans bases out there that would say the same thing that they are great but Auburn has changed the politics that I am seeing is not good for the program long term.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I also would have liked to see more of the other QBs. My intuition is that Loy can command more of the new offense at this moment. The coaches appear to be favoring the ability to run more plays and get good reps for the other guys on the field for the time being, which probably makes sense in the Spring. 

Unfortunately, Loy appears to be wildly inaccurate, making him unsuitable in the longer term as the backup QB. I see D. Davis passing him up either during the fall camp or early in the season as the #2, although if Bo stays healthy they'll have an interesting decision to make concerning Davis' redshirt.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, fredst said:

Ha. I should have written “I am curious”. The defense of our existing coach was on some level admirable but misguided. The continued defense of said coach while taking shots at his replacement(before a game has even been played) is just weird

I've read every post in this thread, so help me out. Please point out the post where someone defended Gus and took shots at Harsin. I haven't seen that one.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, eaglenest said:

I am at the point where Auburn has become the Alabama of old with how the quarterback situation is playing out with a certain group. Harsin will end up having a situation similar to Gus with the departure of Malik Willis if not careful. D Davis comes to Auburn with a lot of prestige, if your stats are better than Kyler Murry coming out of high school that is big, remind me where Murry was taken in the draft, there is to much emphasis being given to a certain QB. The blame have seem to have shifted to the WR and trust me the o-line is not yet out of the water for their fair share of blame, it's everybody fault but Bo, soon Harsin will feel the raft of blame to if and when Auburn lose a few game, look, I hope Bo makes me eat crow, and trust me, I will be the first to admit I was wrong but the optics at Auburn now with it's QB room is very telling and I am not a fan of it.

You do understand that the original post was commenting on how much time **Loy** got compared to DD, as both are backups, don't you? Bo is currently the starter, and was always going to get the starter reps.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There were a couple comments made by Bobo during camp that Davis was struggling a bit.  This is not unexpected from a kid that’s been practicing at college speed for about 4 weeks.  Once the game slows down for him watch out.  He can still play 4 games this year even if he redshirts right?  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I've read every post in this thread, so help me out. Please point out the post where someone defended Gus and took shots at Harsin. I haven't seen that one.

You’re right, it never happened and I made it all up. Sorry to clutter up the board with all its other erudite content, lol

Edited by fredst
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

There were a couple comments made by Bobo during camp that Davis was struggling a bit.  This is not unexpected from a kid that’s been practicing at college speed for about 4 weeks.  Once the game slows down for him watch out.  He can still play 4 games this year even if he redshirts right?  

Yup! That's the only bad part about having our schedule frontloaded with a couple cupcakes in year 1 of the Harsin regime, though. The 1s are going to need just about all of those snaps before the PSU game. But then we get Georgia State, and surely one of the Mississippis and/or USC will provide some 4th-quarter snaps for the 2s. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Yup! That's the only bad part about having our schedule frontloaded with a couple cupcakes in year 1 of the Harsin regime, though. The 1s are going to need just about all of those snaps before the PSU game. But then we get Georgia State, and surely one of the Mississippis and/or USC will provide some 4th-quarter snaps for the 2s. 

Hopefully Davis plays enough to get some experience, but whatever the rule is that keeps his RS season in tact.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Hopefully Davis plays enough to get some experience, but whatever the rule is that keeps his RS season in tact.

Agreed. The only scenarios I see where he burns his redshirt are if he actually wins QB1 or if Bo goes down. Obviously hoping that neither of those scenarios comes to pass. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...